Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How Do You Get Yourself Out the Door to Exercise?

For me, exercise has to be goal oriented. If I feel like a hamster on a wheel, I will find all sorts of excuses not to do it. I have had a lot of success with signing up for runs and then working toward a deadline. I signed up for a 5K earlier this year and spent months getting in shape for it. I have a half marathon in a few weeks and a full marathon in 3 months. If I feel like skipping a workout, I remind myself that I'm putting myself behind the training schedule and it could make the run that much harder for me. It's worked very well for me. But for the record, I will never sign up for another full marathon... Maybe just 5Ks next year. :wacko:

I've heard a lot of people say that, and after that first 1/2 or first full they are addicted. One of my major goals in life is to complete an ironman. I'm far from that, but I know I will do it. I also want to be an ultra runner.

Edited by Chrystee

I also love the mapmyrun/mapmyride app.. LOVE IT. There are sponsored challenges on there.. being in the top 2-5% of everyone in a challenge pushes me so hard.. I also love seeing what everyone is doing to be active..

If anyone else uses the app, please let me know and I will add you.

@@Chrystee ... you are AWESOME. I'm inspired just reading your posts here. Thank you for those. :)

@@Chrystee ... you are AWESOME. I'm inspired just reading your posts here. Thank you for those. :)

Well.. gosh.. thanks. :)

@@*Lexie*, hmmm having difficulty getting dressed. That reminds me of my daughter's solution when she was going to high school. She'd wear her clothes to bed ;-)

I set multiple alarms to go off between 5 and 530. I feel like I'm trick in myself when I work out in the am.....then I can be a bum post work.

My biggest help has been wanting to see results on my body now that I've gotten more of the layer of fat down - I do lift weights in a gym, and just watching some of the muscles getting slightly more defined is rewarding for me.

As for personal trainer and costs, I hear you! Here's a bit of info that might help with that; my daughter is a personal trainer, and what I hear from her is how much she cares about her clients' health--far more than about the money. No, she's not going to train anyone for free, but she does work with a person to set up (and write down!) a good routine for them to follow, and one they can work with for 4-6 weeks running, and then they buy another session and she changes it up based on the new changes and working the body in ways that challenge and mix it up. It's what she does for me, since we don't live near enough for her to train me every week, and it's been great!

Hope this helps for those of you (and me!) on a tight budget. I find it's good incentive too, knowing she'll review progress at regular intervals.

I've gotten a 2nd hand treadmill, elliptical, and recumbent bike from Craig's List. As soon as I walk in the door after work, I change my clothes, and start working out. A minimum of one hour, seven days a week. Weekends it's the first thing I do in the morning. I watch Netflix while I'm exercising. One episode or more of whatever I'm currently interested in, or I listen to an audio book.

I've also been swimming and this Saturday I'm starting my first ever Yoga class.

My motivation is getting the most out of my RNY as I possibly can, the renewed energy I have at two months out, and knowing how long I waited and worked towards having this surgery. I'm going all the way! It's never too late to turn your life around!

I signed up for a boxing class that meets 3x/week. There are only three of us in the morning class and class is cancelled if 2/3 don't show up. I don't want to be why someone can't work out! Having accountability from my group is a big motivator, as is the monthly fee. It also helps that my Coach is pretty tough on us if we have lame excuses as to why someone missed a class. :)

Treadmill at home, I bought a couple treadmill DVDs "hikes" to watch on the tv (setup in front of the treadmill) while I walk. I can listen to the DVDs sounds or play music and zone out.

My gym has a childcare center that my kids adore. Basically it has a bounce house, rock wall, video room, video game area and play area. They harass me if I don't go because they want to go! I've convinced them that we will only go 5 days per week as a compromise!

I have hired a personal trainer at the Y. I find it's easy to commit to a person rather than commit to an activity. At some point soon, I will commit to MYSELF. What a concept.