Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Worried? Scared? Feel like jumping out of my own skin!

SW-330 5'4

My surgery is scheduled for the 28th of this month and I am super nervous. The biggest and only one being that I may die during the surgery. Did anyone else go through these feelings? How did you cope with them? How long were you asleep after your surgery before you woke up?

I know this is the right thing for me to do. I just need some feedback.

I was freaked out and backing out until they knocked me out in the OR. I'm not sure how long it took me to wake up? I don't even remember going to sleep the only thing I remember is waking up. It's the oddest Feeling to see the time change on the clock. I know it's scary, that was my first surgery where I was put under but 10 months later I'm 101lbs thinner. I wouldn't change it for the world! I'm sure you will do just fine! @@Yadi Perez

You could die a ton of other ways, at least if you die on the table you won't know, you could drown or get shot 100 times finally dying on the 100th bullet, I'm sure that would suck more than not knowing and feeling no pain.

Same with a plane, so much more to worry about in life than being afraid of something you have no control over.

Just think of it as a nice nap, and when you wake up, you will be on the way to a new you. I was more afraid of having another stroke than of having another surgery. I was out around an hour, and then in recovery for another hour. You may be on a morphine pump for the first day. Just think of that as better living through chemistry!

The odds of you dying at a fairly young age from complications of obesity are much greater than you dying on the table. The complication rate for the sleeve is 1%.

Risk vs benefit.

You're going to be just fine. You'll wake up and be so relieved it's done and over with and you can start your new life as a healthier person.

Thank you guys! I am just so afraid. I am at 330 pounds and I know I need the change. People keep reminding me that everything is going to be okay and I keep reminding myself that 99% success rate is amazing. I can't wait to begin this new journey.

I feel like that right now. I'm scheduled for surgery Oct. 6th. I have rescheduled 3 times. I also have to have my gallbladder removed and a hernia repaired. I don't even take aspirin and here I am scheduled for WLS. I used to say I would never do this. I'm still trying to figure out how I let myself go this far. But I also know that I have been this way for too long and my body is starting to fight me back now, its tired and I have to do something. I'm trying to find a reason to back out. But I know I'm just going to have to jump and pray that GOD carries me. You will be ok. We will be ok.

I think that feeling of not waking up from surgery, crosses ever bodies mind prior to surgery. I know it did for me in 2010 when I had major surgery & I currently have the thought in the back of my head now with this upcoming surgery.

My biggest fear is a stroke and not being around for my girls because I chose to have elective surgery. Keep telling myself I will be fine but I'm scared too. My surgery will 0ctober 20

@@Yadi Perez, I too am having my surgery on 9/28.

My fear is that all my other issues will take me away from my daughter. I am doing this for her as much as I am for me. She needs her dad. Your family needs you too.

Hang in there and I will see you on the other side! We can share a spot on the losers bench!

@@Remmy75, is this your first surgery ever? The nerves are understandable. My surgery is scheduled for Oct 22nd. I have some fears, but I am WAY more excited about it than afraid. Anesthesia is the Best. sleep. Ever. I had wrist surgery about 10 years ago, and dang, awesome sleep.< /p>

Any surgery has risks, but the complication rate is very low. Way lower than than the chances of dying from your excess weight.

Stop focusing on the fear. Focus on the "I will be able to...". I will be able to play hard with my daughter, I will be able to reduce my pain, I will be able to tie my shoes without breaking a sweat. I will be able to...

I looked at it this way... my dad died of morbid obesity at 52, (yes, that was COD on the death cert). I was headed for slow suicide by knife and fork. When I put the risks into perspective, it really helped! Almost 2 years later and 90ish pounds lighter, I almost NEVER have to see my doc, whom I was seeing monthly for chronic, weight related health problems and med monitoring. Best decision EVER!

@@Yaberhoo Yes its my first surgery. I am ready to get it over with at this point. I am not so much afraid of the surgery itself as I am the life changes that go along with it. I worry about failing.