Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Jealous: Low BMI

I'm reading about how much people have lost and feel jealous. My BMI on my day of surgery was only 40. I weighed 236 (I'm 5'4). I say "only" because so many posters have so much more to lose than I. I've lost 24 pounds since my surgery on July 17, but feel envious of people who lost more, and then I get paranoid that I may not be doing enough, even though I've only had the stall at week 3 and I actually lost 5 pounds last week. Anyone else start with a "low" BMI?

Edited by Cognorati001

This is not a contest, nor is it a race. As someone who started at a super high BMI, believe me, there is nothing to be jealous of.

Focus on your Protein and Fluid and let go of trying to control the results.

The sooner you learn to let go, the happier you will be.

I agree with @@Inner Surfer Girl. Your journey is your own. Don't compare yourself. Stalls are inevitable. Starting weights, heights, body type, and activity levels differ. I've learned to enjoy where you are today, because it's a better place than last month!

Edited by 1SlimmerMe

I totally feel where you are coming from I was 201.9 day of surgery I am only 5'3.5 in height. I had surgery August 24 so I am almost 3 Weeks out. I am frustrated because I have hit a stall haven't lost anything this week. So far I have lost 15 lbs.

I started at 235, and it took me a little over a year to lose 85 pounds and reach goal (although now i'm wanting to lose 5-10 more, which may take me another year, lol) Honestly, I used to feel a little like you did sometimes, but then I finally got tired of stressing over it. What's the hurry? Just keep doing what you need to do and you'll get there. At almost 13 months out, it matters very little to me how long it took me to get there now. In that year I learned a lot about excerise and nutrition. More imortantly, I learned how to be patient and persistent to get where I wanted to be. It builds character :)

It's frustrating, but I am trying to let it go. In the future, I'd like to read success stories, but I think I need to keep away from that for a while. I stayed off them for a couple of weeks and it was less distressing.

I totally feel where you are coming from I was 201.9 day of surgery I am only 5'3.5 in height. I had surgery August 24 so I am almost 3 Weeks out. I am frustrated because I have hit a stall haven't lost anything this week. So far I have lost 15 lbs.

I had my surgery the day after you and I have also only lost 16 pounds. I did not lose last week at all. Today was the first day the scale started coming down. I started at 214 at 5' 4". It will start dropping again. The 3 week stall is a bummer but it seems to happen to everyone. I changed up my diet alittle and that seemed to help.

I started at 235, and it took me a little over a year to lose 85 pounds and reach goal (although now i'm wanting to lose 5-10 more, which may take me another year, lol) Honestly, I used to feel a little like you did sometimes, but then I finally got tired of stressing over it. What's the hurry? Just keep doing what you need to do and you'll get there. At almost 13 months out, it matters very little to me how long it took me to get there now. In that year I learned a lot about excerise and nutrition. More imortantly, I learned how to be patient and persistent to get where I wanted to be. It builds character :)

If it's not too personal, I am curious to know how bad the loose skin is? Did you do anything to prevent it other than diet and exercise?

I had surgery on August 5. Day of surgery I weighed 215 (from a high of 234, BMI right at 40 when I started this whole process). I have lost "only" 19 pounds in just over 5 weeks.

I, too, sometimes compare my numbers to others'. But I am overall really happy with my loss. I haven't been below 200 in too many years…so long I can't remember when! I am losing weight and know I will keep it off. I feel in control of my weight for the first time in a looonnnngggg time. So, who cares what everyone else's numbers look like? I am rocking this! And so are you!

I had surgery 8/4 and have lost 21 pounds. I was very happy. When you start at 210, you lose the same percentage as a heavier person. I am only expecting a 2 pound loss per week from Month 2 till goal weight. Before surgery, I could lose 30-40 pounds, and then get down no further. So...the loss is slow but I am down to 189. I went from a size 18 pants to a comfortable size 12 and tight size 10 pants. I look like a normal person. I am not content, I want to weigh125-135. So, while we don't lose as fast, the small weight loss puts us into another category quickly. We are able to exercise and move more quickly than a 300 pound person, who lost 40 pounds and still weighs 260.

Jealous about having a low BMI? Hmmm....I started with a 33 BMI (5'6" 200 HW/SW) when I was sleeved 6/30/15. I've lost 35 pounds so far and am rocking size 10 skinny pants. I eat healthy carbs and anything else I want in very small quantities. I'm eating in a manner that is sustainable for the rest of my life! I'm not trying to lose fast, I'm trying to lose it permanently. Just because we have this weight loss tool, doesn't mean all logic to losing weight should be ignored. Some of the best learning to do on this site is to read the stories of people who have regained a lot of weight. Many say they lost quickly, but by eating too restrictively and in ways they couldn't continue. Others describe regret in not using the honeymoon period as a learning period on how to eat healthfully. Yes, we each have our own journey, but I'd rather learn from others' mistakes (plus some of my own), because I don't have time to make them all myself!

Sleeved 7/29, hw 245, sw 237, cw 215. I have lost 7 lbs in the past month. Not a complete stall, but is frustrating. Thought i would lose pretty quickly the first 3 months before settling in to 2-3 lbs a week, did not expect it to happen at month 2. My bmi was 36 at surgery.

I'm with y'all! I expected a big initial loss in the first few months before tapering off to a slow but steady weight loss rate of 2-3lbs a week. Instead, I'm averaging 0.5-1lb a week (after my first 2 weeks post op) and IT. IS. SO. FRUSTRATING!!! I was sleeved 8/10. HW 258, SW 247, CW 231. (I'm 5'7)

I am trying really hard to stay positive and trust the process. I am working hard on getting in more calories. My nutritionist goal is 1200-1400 calories (I have a high muscle mass for a female) but I'm only averaging about 600 calories a day. I just can't get in enough food. Even a Protein Shake takes hours to consume. With most real food, I can't take more than maybe 2 bites before I'm stuffed. Any more than that and it comes back up. String cheese has become my go-to snack and I can finish one in about half an hour. I hate the idea that I'm in starvation mode and probably muscle wasting. Any tips for getting extra calories in? I have tried fat bombs and even though I did great with them preop, I can't tolerate them now. :/ I also use diluted Isopure Zero Carb RTD in place of regular Water to get in more Protein. Aside from those, I eat very clean. Thanks in advance!

Mine is low as well. When I started the program I was 257 and I'm 5'6 so a bmi of 41.5. During my structured weight loss I got down to 245. Now I'm on my liquid diet and I weigh 240 with 11 days until surgery. I want to weigh 235 on surgery day which is about a bmi of 38.

Even if I lose slowly after surgery I know I have less to lose because I worked hard the whole way through. As long as I don't gain, it's a success in my book.