Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm being sleeved on Monday and would like to know from the vets, what should I take to the hospital with me and how long were you in their and how soon after being sleeved did you drive and go back to work? THANK YOU IN ADVANCE for answering my questions

Chapstick! My lips were so dry, plus my glucose shot way up after surgery so dry mouth and lips were bad (and no Water allowed day of surgery). Cell phone charger, slippers and a robe if you'd like. I just used an extra hospital gown. And I brought a small knitting project. I actually felt great, was bored out of my mind plus my television was only in Arabic. So I was pretty thankful I packed something to keep me busy and pass the time.

Chapstick! My lips were so dry, plus my glucose shot way up after surgery so dry mouth and lips were bad (and no Water allowed day of surgery). Cell phone charger, slippers and a robe if you'd like. I just used an extra hospital gown. And I brought a small knitting project. I actually felt great, was bored out of my mind plus my television was only in Arabic. So I was pretty thankful I packed something to keep me busy and pass the time.

thank you so much for responding. How is your prigress, how long after surgery did you return to work and drive ?

You're welcome. I'm 5 months post-op and feeling great! I drove a couple days after coming home. My surgeon never gave me any driving restrictions. I'm an expat wife overseas, so I didn't have to balance work and recovery. I would count on allowing yourself at least 2 weeks off if possible. There's just no way to determine how your body will respond to surgery.

Gas X dissolving strips, you can use up to 4 at a time to help get rid of gas they pump in for the laporscopic procedure.

Elastic waist shorts, slip on shoes, portable music and earbuds. Oh, I made sure my bag didn't weigh more than 20 pounds so I didn't have to lift much.

I didn't need narcotics, so I would have been able to drive the next day. But it really depends on the drugs they give you for pain to see if you can drive. Just make sure you have the mobility to be able to see around you, everyone is different when it comes to incisions.

Most of my work is at the computer, so I was actually back at it the day following surgery. My procedure was on a Tuesday, was up and walking after they woke me up. Wednesday I was bored silly but couldn't leave Mexico until Friday, so I spent Thursday at the mall across the street from the hospital. Saturday I went to the OU/Baylor football game.

My experience is probably not typical, but I prepared well in advance. I have no idea about your level of conditioning, or your job, but I work out of my house, though I did make sure I didn't have any serious travel for a couple of weeks following the procedure.

Things I brought and used -- lip balm and Biotene spray (fixes dry mouth). The Biotene is probably the single most useful thing I brought other than lip balm. Sipping Water early on is *very difficult, and you really have to sit up to do it. The spray immediately solves dry mouth and you don't have to sit up to use it. :-) Also, slippers for walking around in the halls.

Things I brought and never used -- pajamas (couldn't put them on with the IV and stuff, and they get in the way of things like checking wounds, blood draws. Robe -- again couldn't put it on unless they disconnected my IV lines. Laptop (well, I used it once for 10 minutes.) Gas-X -- I had them, but I found that just sitting up in a chair was more helpful than anything else for getting air out.

Part of the thing about the Gas-X strips is that they help with gas in your stomach and upper intestinal tract, but the gas we're talking about is initially put into your abdominal cavity and only slowly works itself back into your organs to be passed. Some of what we think of as "gas pains" is that pressure and discomfort of the gas working its way back in. You can't "fix" that with Gas-X strips. :-) So, walking was actually more effective for me than the strips, when I used them at home.

I highly recommend bringing a small fan. The pain (or maybe the anti nausea) medication they give you after will make you hot. Other than that the only things I used were extra pillows, phone charger, hair brush, face wash & chap stick. Oh and toothbrush (although they did provide that as well). Good luck!

We packed extra pillows in the car, but my hospital had provided so many pillows I certainly didn't need my own. I had two under my head, one under each arm, and one under my feet. They asked me if I wanted more. :-) So, I didn't need to bring my own pillow into that space. :-)

I packed a ton of stuff and all I really needed was pajamas, lots of undies, PADS OR TAMPONS (I started my period very heavily the day after surgery...it was horrible and messy), chapstick, gas x strips, a mini fan, deodarant, cell phone and charger, slippers with non slip treading, ur favorite blanket and a pillow for the ride home! Hope this helps!!! :D

Gas X dissolving strips, you can use up to 4 at a time to help get rid of gas they pump in for the laporscopic procedure.

Elastic waist shorts, slip on shoes, portable music and earbuds. Oh, I made sure my bag didn't weigh more than 20 pounds so I didn't have to lift much.

I didn't need narcotics, so I would have been able to drive the next day. But it really depends on the drugs they give you for pain to see if you can drive. Just make sure you have the mobility to be able to see around you, everyone is different when it comes to incisions.

Most of my work is at the computer, so I was actually back at it the day following surgery. My procedure was on a Tuesday, was up and walking after they woke me up. Wednesday I was bored silly but couldn't leave Mexico until Friday, so I spent Thursday at the mall across the street from the hospital. Saturday I went to the OU/Baylor football game.

My experience is probably not typical, but I prepared well in advance. I have no idea about your level of conditioning, or your job, but I work out of my house, though I did make sure I didn't have any serious travel for a couple of weeks following the procedure.

thank you so much and congratulations

You're welcome. I'm 5 months post-op and feeling great! I drove a couple days after coming home. My surgeon never gave me any driving restrictions. I'm an expat wife overseas, so I didn't have to balance work and recovery. I would count on allowing yourself at least 2 weeks off if possible. There's just no way to determine how your body will respond to surgery.

ok thank you so responding

thank you so much, I'm so nervous ????????????????

Gas ex and Chapstick. I made them give me a sponge stick if I promised not to swallow my lips bothered me the most. Lol First day you will be sleeping. Don't worry you got this!

Gas ex and Chapstick. I made them give me a sponge stick if I promised not to swallow my lips bothered me the most. Lol First day you will be sleeping. Don't worry you got this!

thank you so much

I'm still in the hospital, hopefully going home later today. The only thing I needed was Chapstick and a small fan. Would have been miserable without either of those. The hospital,provided everything else.

I'm still in the hospital, hopefully going home later today. The only thing I needed was Chapstick and a small fan. Would have been miserable without either of those. The hospital,provided everything else.

how are you feeling, did you have any complications and I hope u have a speedy recovery