Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I really need to know the truth.....

Will I ever be able to eat a normal meal again? Like a normal human being? Oh boy..... I am really feeling down. Been invited to a 12 course meal with an il important client. What do I say, I mean, small portions are ok but this is ridiculous !

So mad at me!!!!

Yes. The further out you are, the more your sleeve will allow you to eat. Then you'll wish for the days when you could eat a few spoon fulls and be full.

After all, isn't the idea of the surgery to restrict how much we could eat in order to lose weight?

I think it's more realistic to assume you'll be more comfortable with yourself and developing ways to deal with social situations (12 course meal - holy cow!). I've found people don't pay very much attention to what I'm not eating unless I draw attention to it. I found myself in restaurants constantly for a while there. I got into the habit of pushing food around and taking one bite of everything that looked good (read: good for me). My pouch still won't hold more than 4 - 6 ounces and I no longer give a fig about eating "normal" meals. This will get easier :-)

Will I ever be able to eat a normal meal again? Like a normal human being? Oh boy..... I am really feeling down. Been invited to a 12 course meal with an il important client. What do I say, I mean, small portions are ok but this is ridiculous !

So mad at me!!!!

honestly I've wondered this myself, especially since I'm still on liquids. I know eventually we will be able to eat more but

I'm almost 9 months out, and I can eat just about anything except really high sugar (makes me feel sick, and that is a good thing).

I fix things at home just like I used to, and we eat out quite often.

That being said, no you will never eat a "normal" meal again. Because your idea of normal is not even remotely the norm. If you were anything like me, then you ate too much. Especially if you are basing it off of eating out at a restaurant - typical portions are huge, and you shouldn't eat them even with all of your stomach intact.

Now you have a tiny stomach and there is no way you will ever eat the amounts you used to eat, but you'll likely be able to eat most if not all types of foods you used to eat.

Not that you should, mind you, but you will be able to eventually.

As far as a 12 course meal... oh hell no. You probably will be full to bursting after the 3rd course even if you only take a bite or two of each course. You will just have to decide what you want to eat (and what is best for your nutrition - Proteins, healthy fibers/veggies) and then explain that you are on a diet or watching what you eat and can't eat more.

I eat out all the time now. I either eat a little off of my husband's meal, or I get my own meal and tell the waiter to bring me a to go box as soon as they can and box up the rest for leftovers. I order things that are tasty and sometimes have fat or carbs, but I eat very little of it in one sitting. One regular meal out, and I'm set for the next 2 days on leftovers. :)

So mad at me!!!!

You have a new normal now. And you ARE a normal human being!

What is "normal"? I can go out to eat. I just went out this evening. However I don't eat as much. I simply no longer have the capacity & I'm okay with that. We had Chinese. I got not appetizer, but nibbled on the pickled cabbage that comes table side. I skipped the tea. I ordered veg egg foo young. I got brown rice instead of white. Ate 3/4 of a patty, 1 tbsp of rice. The rest will be leftovers.

With A 12 course meal I might be able to take 1 or 2 bites of each course. Even then I doubt I could get past more than 6 courses. I'm okay with that. I never want to eat a huge meal again.

Instead I've become the best dinner companion ever. I am chatty, witty & just plain good company. I eat out frequently and it's never been an issue because I don't make it one. I don't apologize for not eating or draw attention to the fact that I am not. I enjoy my company and the socializing.

You should never be able to eat a "normal" meal by most people's standards. I was at Claim jumpers, a restaurant with serving sizes that i swear are for 3-4 people. I can't fathom a 12 course meal. However, I have spent time in France and other foodie cultures and they tend to just have a spoon or forkful of each course.

I am nearly 4 years out, i can eat quite a bit, I consciously choose to control my portions and am careful about food choices because I want to maintain my weight.

I understand the frustration - but the way WLS works is restricting your portions, making better choices, becoming more active etc.