Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I started liquids only yesterday for my 22 Sep surgery. I have found that drinking peppermint herbal tea seems to help with the hunger when it hits but I have felt so weak today. I took my Vitamins and had enough Protein and drank my 64 oz of fluids and chicken broth and am not sure what else to do to help. I'm concerned about driving because I feel so light headed and weak.

Any ideas?

I've been drinking a lot of green tea myself. It has always settled my stomach but I also find it helps with hunger.

So Radar u dont have to do a 2 week liquid diet??

They told me week 1 is 2 Protein shakes and 1 meal of only 3-4 ounces of lean meat and gave me a list of all I can eat veggies. Starting on Monday it's only Protein Shakes until my surgery on the 21st. I wasn't told to do Clear Liquids or anything like that.

Started my pre op liquid diet only on wed. It has not gone very well first day was a piece of delicious cake. Second day I had a candy bar it was fun sized but still... Next day no cheats. Yesturxay I had bacon...today derailed pretty far its the hardest when I'm home :( no more cheating for me. I feel like a failure. I hope they still do the surgery for me idk if I can keep up

The beginning of the pre op diet is the worst. On day 2 1/2 I thought I wanted to cry because I was so hungry. Then on days 3 and 4 I had the WORST headache. Day 5 was a magical and wonderful day. I woke up to no headache and no longer seemed hungry. From there it really does get easier.

We all mess up a bit. I was at an event over the weekend and decided to just carry a glass of wine around so people would stop offering. It seemed like a good plan but twice I found myself sipping it. I felt guilty but it tasted so good haha.

Just try to stay focused and not be too hard on yourself. These are life long habits we have created and they can't be changed instantly.

That sounds slot easier than the clear liquid diet

I checked again. It's Clear liquids the day before surgery.

Started my pre op liquid diet only on wed. It has not gone very well first day was a piece of delicious cake. Second day I had a candy bar it was fun sized but still... Next day no cheats. Yesturxay I had bacon...today derailed pretty far its the hardest when I'm home :( no more cheating for me. I feel like a failure. I hope they still do the surgery for me idk if I can keep up

I have had a few slips too, but remember it's not how many times you fall that matters. It only matters how many times you get up and if you get up just one more time than you fall, you will accomplish anything.

I'm on day 5 of my pre-op - and still don't know if my insurance is going to approve. Surgery is tentative for 9/24.

@@Radar, how are you handling the issue with your wife and her support of your dietary restrictions? I know that has to be frustrating. Yesterday, we stopped by the butcher to buy our bulldogs some bones and I told my husband to get something for himself for dinner. He got a nice, thick, juicy steak. I wanted that steak like nobody's business. He saw how much it pained me to not share it with him and said he'll only grill when I'm at work (he's on duty on midnights so he can have all the steak he wants for lunch). I think after last night, he'll stick to eating only foods I don't like when we're home together.

I had a dream last night that I was at my mom's house for a dinner. She was in her room, so I loaded my plate with french fries and mashed potatoes. When she came out, I snuck into her living room to finish so she wouldn't see me. Funny though - because when I get approved and tell my mom about the surgery, she'll be 100% supportive. Obesity runs in our family. My mom has worked hard to get down to her size 8. She gets it.

My wife is behind me emotionally but I can't expect her to change her lifestyle just because I am. It would be unfair for me to even ask. I will be surrounded by people eating foods I can no longer eat for the rest of my life. I should get used to it now.

She has offered to tske time off work to care for me but I told her not to because I will having unpaid time off and because the nurse was very clesr with me about this not being a time to convalesce. I have to keep moving because I need to be back at work in 1 week no matter what.

Edited by Radar

@@Radar, like you, I too feel we'll be around people who don't have to watch their food intake. I'd rather be comfortable around them than expect differently. But during this liquid diet, it SUCKS to be sitting next to my husband with his Porterhouse. :( At least until I cannot physically eat it, it sure would be better to not have to smell it.

Good point about not using the time to convalesce. Get up and get going, right? My husband works midnights, so he'll be home with me every day and only gone when I sleep. And I'm pretty sure he's off duty for 4 days after my expected surgery date. You have less than a week to go!!

I met with the surgeon yesterday, and I got a date for 10/19/15. The only pre-op diet he told me to do was not eat after Breakfast the day before the surgery -- Clear Liquids only. I was pretty shocked, because everyone talks about doing 2 weeks liquid pre-op. I'm already drinking Protein shakes for Breakfast, so I guess I will just do that and eat sensibly.

I met with the surgeon yesterday, and I got a date for 10/19/15. The only pre-op diet he told me to do was not eat after breakfast the day before the surgery -- clear liquids only. I was pretty shocked, because everyone talks about doing 2 weeks liquid pre-op. I'm already drinking Protein shakes for breakfast, so I guess I will just do that and eat sensibly.

My surgeon said that if you are getting laproscopic surgery then they need to lift the liver out of the way during the surgery and it will bleed and crack if you don't follow the two week liquid pre-op diet and may cause additional issues. He said prior to having people do the liquid diet for two weeks, they had people with more complications.

Mine said the liver acquires fat and gets larger and harder and they can't lift it to work under it. The liquid diet shrinks the liver so they have easier access to work.