Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Emotional hunger vs physical hunger - how do you deal with this??

Hello everybody,

This is my first post so forgive me if I get things a bit muddled up!

I live in the UK and no insurance company in the world over here will cover us for lap band surgery, so I am a self-payer.

I have so far had appointments with both my surgeon and the dietician and I hope to schedule my surgery in for October/November this year :whoo:

My question is this. I am a huge emotional eater and firmly believe that I got as big as I am because I eat whether I am hungry or not - happy, sad, bored, depressed, nervous, upset, it doesn't matter - I will eat!!

So anyway, the dietician I saw was very thorough and the minute I said I was an emotional eater she said she was concerned that if I didn't address this, the band would not work for me!

So can I just ask all the emotional/comfort eaters out there what you did to help the 'head hunger' side of things? I know the band will only ever be a tool but I am very worried that if I don't get my head sorted out before surgery, I will cheat my way to failure, because that's what I am like!

Thank you in advance. By the way, this board is the greatest and you all rock! :clap2:

Bandwagon

I am not an emotional eater. I am a "big" eater. I had the lapband on June 27 2007. I started the pre-op diet on June 17. I have lost 17 lbs in 22 days and havea not even had my band filled for the first time yet . Take it from me the band will not let you eat a lot at one time or eat it fast. It will not let you eat certain foods with out choking you or making some people throw up. The band makes you full so full you dont want anything else. Some people cheat and eat between meals but you still cant eat much. I believe you would have good results with the band

I totally agree with Socialator . . .

I still struggle with 'thinking' I need to eat, just out of habit, but my band won't allow me to eat very much at a time, or very often and if I take too big of bites or don't chew the food forever, forget it! The band takes care of alot of things and after a couple of miserable episodes, eating becomes more of a chore than an enjoyment. At least that has been my experience.

Good luck ~

My opinion - start now to focus on changing your eating habits. The band can help with controlling how much you eat, but it is relatively easy to circumvent it if you really want to do so...eating ice cream, drinking milk shakes or caloric soda, eating potato chips or other Snacks that essentially form a 'slurry' that goes through the stoma quickly...

From my surgeon/nutritionist team, I'm told that the major cause for people to not lose the expected weight after band surgery is simply not following the eating/diet guidelines provided. For me, it is 3 meals/day, no snacking, and 4 - 6 oz. of food per meal. No high-calorie drinks (juice, soda, etc.), and no drinking right before, during, or right after a meal.

For me, the band (so far) has required nearly as much mental focus as any other program I've been on...it would be easy for me to eat 8 small meals/day and drink plenty of calories...getting 3,000 calories/day can be done without too much effort, even after getting a band.

So...I feel that the mental component is every bit as important as getting the band. The band helps, but if a person isn't willing to commit to following the rules, it may be disappointing.

Just like you I am a big emotional eater - happy, sad, bored etc. What helped me was my Doc. required a six week pre-op diet that included 2 weeks of liquids. Talk about having to face your snacking deamons, that will make you do it. I have found out that my biggest snacking problem is when watching TV. So I plan ahead. Stay busy with my hands, fold laundry,knit, chewing gum, drink Water. Or just get up and do something diffrent. You will learn your triggers when you are faced with them, some will be harder than others. You will stumble a few times, but the band will limit the amount of junk you can stuff in your face. When it gets bad, come here, read, chat. Good luck..........

Not trying to sound negative, but it is important to know that the band won't limit the amount of junk you stuff in your face if you're eating the wrong stuff...the band will have very little, if any, effect on liquids or food that quickly turns to liquid (ice cream, chocolate, etc.).

The band will limit the amount of bulky, solid food that you can eat at a time, if you don't drink while you eat. The sooner you drink after eating, the shorter time you'll have the 'full' feeling, because what you're drinking will help wash the food out of the pouch and down into your stomach faster.

Sorry if I seem pedantic, but I think it is important to look at all aspects of the life change that is required to be successful after banding.

Not trying to sound negative, but it is important to know that the band won't limit the amount of junk you stuff in your face if you're eating the wrong stuff...the band will have very little, if any, effect on liquids or food that quickly turns to liquid (ice cream, chocolate, etc.).

The band will limit the amount of bulky, solid food that you can eat at a time, if you don't drink while you eat. The sooner you drink after eating, the shorter time you'll have the 'full' feeling, because what you're drinking will help wash the food out of the pouch and down into your stomach faster.

Sorry if I seem pedantic, but I think it is important to look at all aspects of the life change that is required to be successful after banding.

I have to agree with DBAGuy. I have heard of many people who eat around the band and will continue to do so without the emotional support. I have said it other places on this board, but I firmly believe that you have to uncover why you abuse food. That's not to say that you have to do all that before you are banded - I say go ahead but know that you have to work on these issues as well. The band is not a panacea.

Solid Protein will really help you stay focused. It will keep you from snacking because it keeps you fuller fast. I must say my emotional eating has changed dramatically. I no longer binge like I use to.

good luck.

well I still emotional eat and had the band done six months ago. I often stomp all over myself cuz even with teh band you need to have your head on straight.

I was wondering if you could plez tell me what you do to keep from "over eating." I had the band six months ago and only lost 35 pounds. I am at a bit of an impass as I LOVE candy. Pleze help

what you have is a clear case of habituation. You feel an emotion and you eat. You now have to find some other activity to replace the eating response. At first it will seem unnatural, but after a long time, it will become second nature. So maybe instead of eating, go for a walk, go window shopping, clean your house, paint your nails. A weight loss buddy might help too. Someone you can call that can help "talk you down." Just develop another habit. I know how hard this is. I eat when im stressing or bord. I have a weight loss buddy I now call when I feel like Im about to cheat. Sometimes we go for walks, go to a movie, gossip...whatever to get ourselves pass that feeling.

Good luck

V

That's amazing. I knew they didn't want us to drink while eating but I assumed it was cuz the liquid would fill up the pouch first and not that it washed away the food quicker. Now a light bulb has gone off. Thanx so much.

DBAGuy summed it all up, as far as I'm concerned. I'm going to counseling to deal with some 'issues' that are holding me back in different areas of my life, and overeating is a result of some of those unresoved issues. It helps me to think back and remember what I sacrificed in order to pay almost $20,000 for this surgery. Is that bite of forbidden food worth $20,000? I admit,,sometimes it is, but 99% of teh time I choose not to take that bite. It's a slippery slope and I dont want to go back to doing the same ole things that got me the same ole results. Thanks everyone for your honesty.

banded 1/29/07

Dr Ken Cleveland-CMMC-Jackson, MS

1.66cc/4cc