Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Exercise for the Super Sized?

I'm 340 lbs and in really bad shape. It hurts to walk or do pretty much any activity. Just going to the mall for an hour or two can put me in bed for a week. Any suggestions from people who have been where I am?

Actually there are a whole bunch of exercises that can be done from a chair or a hard flat surface. I was taught these during my physical therapy (I had a back injury).

I know you can do searches online and find them. Also, you may want to consider the exercise ball. I was terrified mine would burst the first time I used it, but my therapist assured me it could hold me weight and it has. I still use one at home 'cause it's great for strengthening your core muscles.

when i first started working out, i was about 380ish.

i went to the gym, got on the treadmill for 8 minutes, got off and went home.

next time, i went for 10 minutes, went home, i increased my time for 2 minutes each time i went.

i can now go for an hour on the elliptical (dont start on the elliptical) and can "run" about 5 miles an hour.

but this has taken time. i have been banded 9 months (today is my bandiversary actually) and it has taken me this long to build my stamina to where i can exercise for 90 minutes at a time.

good luck!

losing, you ARE the woman!!!!!! What a great motivator you would be, like a life coach, to someone in person who wants to go exercise but doesn't feel like they can do it!!!!!

I was 305.5 two weeks before pre op. I didn't do a dang thing for exercise until an hour or two after surgery, when I started to walk the halls. When I got home, I walked around the back yard. Then I walked a block or two then more and more. Each time going farther until I hit two miles. I walked and walked every day, sometimes two times a day. I just couldn't stop. Now I am riding a bike. When I first started that I thought I might die of sore butt muscles and tiredness. But you get used to having the oxygen pumping through your body and then your body craves it!!! It really does. I don't know how or why, but it does. I feel so bad when I don't exercise, physically. Then when I do it again, I feel soooooo great!!!!

My one knee had me in bouts of pain whenever I tried to do something also. It would take weeks to get over the pain and then it never really would go away. That went away immediately after surgery, but I think it was the 10 pounds pre op that did it. I havent had a problem one since. I wish you luck on your band journey and exercise really, REALLY needs to become part of your daily things you do. It really does, even though most people want to NOT do it, it needs to be done.

Deanna and Faith,

thank you so much for your kind words... i am definitely in a 'low spot' right now and really need the encouragement!!

as far as exercising being a daily 'thing'. i couldnt agree more. today i woke up with a mega headache (just read it is more than likely the yummy fruit Punch crystal light) and honestly, at 445 am, i just wanted to stay in bed. but the more i stayed in bed, the more i thought about it. my headache is going to be here no matter where i go or what i do or do not do. so 5 minutes later, i was getting dressed for the gym and had a pretty good work out.

you can do it!!

WHATEVER IT TAKES, right ladies???!!!

losing, GREAT JOB WOMAN!!!! I am so not worthy of you!!! I don't know if I could get out of bed that early to exercise, but I don't have to now, so I might if I HAD too I guess. Still I wonder, I don't think I would really want to!!! Kudos to all of you who get up early to get in their exercise!!!!!!!!

That's an inspiration to us all Losingjusme and also a good indication that you just have to start with what you CAN do and build it up.

When I began running, I wasnt coming from a position of being exhausted by a walk around a mall, but still, 3, 4, 5km looks just ridiculous. I couldnt figure out HOW I was going to get there. So I didnt, I just did what I could do and built on it a little each week.

If 8 minutes walking is what you can do then that's where you start.

We've also had the debate about fat burning heart rates many times on here and early on lots of people said to me you shouldnt try to run, it puts your heart rate too high and you're not burning fat, you're better off walking for an hour than running for 25 minutes. Well firstly, judging by my body, I very definitely WAS burning fat, and now I can run for the said hour WITH my heartrate square in the fat burning zone, passing the talk test etc etc and burning twice the calories becuase I've covered twice the distance than if I'd just stuck with walking for that hour.

The same principle applies - you can only withstand several minutes at the moment becuase walking for you is highly intense, anaerobic exercise. But a few minutes, building gradually and your body is just the same as mine, as anyone else's, it will respond, get stronger, build its aerobic capacity and one day you will be able to walk easily for an hour and burn plenty of fat. You just have to start small to get there.

Jacqui,

i know i've said this before but it is still so true - YOU are an incredible inspiration to me. the running ... oh i would love to be able to run. i am hoping another 50 or 60 pounds i can start the Couch to 5K program. top speed for me now (on the elliptical) is about 5 miles an hour (12 minute mile) which isnt bad considering i started at 30 minute mile.

thanks everyone for your kind words, i really appreciate them!

I'm going to chime in too.

Do something, but be consistent and do it daily. If it's walking up the stairs once, with the intention that that is your exercise...not just a trip up the stairs because you have to.

Measure how you feel...

Do it again the next day.

Do it twice, then three times then more and more.

I started off not fit at all. My knees hurt and I had no energy. That's soooo not the case anymore, and I've got much more to lose. You'll be surprised at how quickly you get stronger.

HTH

I have another little thing to add to this mix. Besides just starting to do something....as anything at all is better than nothing.... I got a exercise ball. I blew that up and that is what I use to sit at this computer and type. I told a trainer that I had the ball and that was really all I did with it and she told me that is actaully really good, that it takes more muscles to sit on that ball and balance than if you use a chair. Then as you get used to it, You automtically start to bounce on it and play on it (its kinda like an adult hippity-hop, its fun). So what I wanted to get out is something that sounds like nothing at all, actually IS a form of exercising when you really are not even planning on it, and this goes back to every little bit helps.

Thank you all for your tips, support and words of inspiration! It means more to me than I can say!!! :P

I got the ball (so far it's holding up. lol), a set of pilates stretching bands and dusted off the old tredmill. I like the ball and bands-- stretching feels good. I will start using the tredmill 5 days a week at whatever pace I can. I'll start out slow so I don't end up hurt and hating it (I have done that in the past).

I also made a list of activities I can do with the kids (with limits of course):

hop scotch

jump rope

tennis

walk

frisbee

croquette

dance

(open to more suggestions)

I'm MOVING. That's what counts :bounce: