Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Abnormal EKG...... Anyone? I am scared. :(

Has anyone had an abnormal EKG ? I just did mine today and I have my results. I haven't heard from my doctor but I am freaking out.

It says:

Sinus rythum with sinus arythmia with occasional Premature Ventricular complexes.

If anyone has any info I would really appreciate it.

I also had an abnormal EKG. I am only 38 years old and in excellent shape other than weight. They sent me to a cardiologist. Then he ordered a stress test and echo. Was really no big deal. I did both of the tests and they came out normal. I've been cleared for surgery.

The best thing to do is to confer with your doctor. Even if it's something bad then you should be happy they caught it in time.

I'm not a doctor and I don't play one on tv.

I have the same thing. The upper chambers of your heart are contracting sooner than the rest of your heart. Notice the use of the word "occasional"... that means it really isn't happening enough to worry about. My ekg report said "irregularly irregular pvc's" - that means when they happen, they are irregular, and they happen infrequently, on an irregular basis. ;)

The current literature shows that if you have no other heart issues, they do not treat it, as it does not have a positive outcome on your mortality. Meaning, the cure is worse than the disease.

I also had problems with rhythm on one side of my heart (I want to say the right side, but I don't recall). My cardiologist told me that was indicative of sleep apnea, and it should clear up once my apnea is treated. I've had a cpap for going on two years now and my rhythm problems are gone. My cardiologist cleared me for my surgery.

So the short answer is, anything to do with your heart can be scary, but from someone who also has pvc's, I say don't worry.

Thanks everyone for the info. I can't wait till I see my Doc tomorrow and then she can tell me whats next. I will keep you all posted.

Hey hi try not to freak out I know it's better said then done lots of times they turn out to be no big deal but better safe then sorry later so many things can be treated medicated and move on with life they may have you take a stress test and or and echocardiogram which is sort of an ultrasound to see if there is anything going on I've never heard of a surgeon allowing the procedure without cardiac clearance from everyone I myself had a arrhythmia I didn't know I had until I nearly passed out one day winding up the hose after doing some outdoor watering I had high blood pressure at the time and I thought well it's so darn hot out here just maybe over did it a bit went to dr office next day I felt fine I was told I was tachycardic I didn't even know what the heck that meant I ended up in the ER for an EKG and sent to cardiologist that day I didn't know any cardiologists luckily I knew a person with connections one of which was having a cardiologist as a very good friend of theirs who saw me asap as a favor turns out I had AFib but no structural damage and no heart disease I take meds to keep it in a normal rhythm now cardiologist sent me for a sleep apnea test as he felt that was the cause turns out he was right and I've now lost so much weight I've gotten off blood pressure meds and had other meds reduced and I'm off cpap so it's not always a horrible thing I'm not telling u any of this to scare you but to show that it's not always a major problem and if it's not causing u issues and you aren't noticing it it may delay due to testing but not prevent your surgery try to stay calm until u find out what the issue is I've also known two ppl in the last 5 years have this happen after getting an EKG and it was found nothing was wrong one was told they thought the tech that did the test may have made an error while conducting the test best of luck by the way this happened to me in 2011 I wasn't sleeved until this past February

Edited by shellyd88

I have to see a cardiologist on the 22nd.

Good luck to you hope it turns out well I had my surgery after having AFib since 2011 I've been stable no issues I had to get clearance from cardio dr was no issue he signed off on it without question its my understanding that all bariatric surgeons check for cardiac issues and pulmonary issues as well as endocrine and vascular before agreeing to surgery and ask for clearances it's a cover their asses thing