Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Not getting enough protein or liquids...

I am 3 days post op, it's hard for me to get into drinking 64 oz of fluids and 25-50 grams of Protein. I'm having to drink really slow because my surgeon told me to (said drink one ounce in 10 minutes). Idk what to do. Any suggestions? I haven't gotten up to 64 ounces since surgery and I've barely gotten any protein.

you are only 3 days out! II don't think anyone expects you to get up to your full Protein by then! I'm 3 weeks out and still not managing - fluids is certainly much better than 3 days out but hope in a week or so to be hitting my 60-70gm of Protein.< /p>

You will get there just keep at it as the swelling goes down inside it gets easier and easier :)

At just 3 days it is so hard. Just keep trying your best, drink all day. It gets better every day.

Just sip sip sip and do the best you can at day 3! It will come, believe me

I'm on day 7 post-op and also struggle with the Protein. About day 5 going into 6, I found myself able to drink more fluids, so I am fine now with getting enough fluids in, but the Protein shakes really upset my stomach. So far I find that the nectar powders (fruit flavors) I can tolerate well, but they have 24 grams of Protein and drinking three a day would be tough. Today, I'm starting with Isopure liquid, hoping to drink 8 oz which will give me 16 grams. Then switch to the nectar. And I've got to drink Gatorade in between to get my carbs in too! I'll be so happy when I can just eat a serving of cottage cheese instead.

When I am having problems getting it in, I use the Syntrax nectar, but I reduce the liquid in it -- make a package (23 g protein) with 8-10 oz Water. In the flavors I like, it's more intensely flavored, but still doable. :-) Early on, I was making the mistake of making it up with 12-16 oz of Water. No! :-)

Protein shakes made me ill, and I was super picky, so some of the following helped me get closer to Protein goals:

Fat free fairlife milk (lactose/sugar filtered out, tastes like regular skim milk, fortified with protein/calcium)

Fairlife milk mixed with either sugarfree strawberry/chocolate Syrup, or served hot with diet cocoa mix

Mixing a tablespoon of vanilla Protein powder with sugarfree vanilla pudding (I never added too much because I hated the aftertaste, but it was a good way to still add some protein)

cottage cheese with just a tiny spoonful of Tomato sauce (tastes like lasagna!)

I also used the hershey's sugarfree strawberry syrup and added it to plain greek yogurt to make it taste like regular yogurt

I'm seven weeks out, and these things have been a godsend! Soft food stage will open up a lot more options for you. It gets better!