Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm worried about the psych eval. I realize the purpose is to identify deep issues or current behaviors that might make me unsuccessful. I have small children and a rocky marriage and I don't want to get into all of that during the psych eval because my current life is about as good as it's going to get. What questions do they ask you? What flags are they looking for? I've read where the evaluations are a breeze and others are very tough. Would you please share your psych eval experiences in detail?

Be open, be honest, and you will be fine.

Mine included a pretty standard assessment (pen and paper), and then a discussion about my history and experience with obesity and weight loss including my expectations about weight loss surgery.

I left with an approval and a recommended book title to read.

Some people are approved right away, some people receive recommendations for follow-up work and are approved after addressing particular issues. I don't think I've ever heard of anyone being denied outright.

Again, just be honest. The psych eval is for your benefit.

I think if you approach it from an "I've had some tough times, but I'm ready to take on these changes to better my health" perspective, you'll be fine.

My evaluation was about three different questionnaires that the psychologist scored and then we discussed. Lots of questions about support, attitudes towards health, eating and dieting. Then, she discussed the results with me and sent me on my way. Not a big deal.

Best wishes to you

Inner Surfer Girl is dead on. Be open and honest, the psychologist is there to help you be successful.

They want to make sure you will be able to make this lifestyle change and will help you be successful in case you need some counseling to deal with personal issues.

Also, a few people have cross addictions. That is since they no longer eat large amounts of food to cope with stress or as an emotional crutch, etc., they turn to smoking, drinking alcohol, gambling, etc..

Be honest and whatever you do, don't turn and talk to an imaginary person next to you after you are done speaking to the psychiatrist and say "How did I do?". :)

Edited by 4MRB4PHOTO

My psych evaluation was unforgetable. The first part where we discussed my weight problems, eating behaviour and expectations was just fine. But then we somehow touched the subject of my recent traffic accident and it turned into therapy session with a whole box of tissues. After which I was diagnosed with PTSD.

I don't think that's the standard way it goes though. ;)

You'll be fine! I think the waiting is much more stressful than the actual thing.

My psych evaluation was very short but intense. He asked lots of questions pertaining to why I wanted the surgery, what I loved and hated abut myself, family history, he asked about tragedies that may have happened throughout life. It was very intense. You never want to go into the evaluation telling them you want surgery just to look good. There has to be a more sensible reason like you want to live a healthy life for your children and be around to watch them grow up. I never mentioned my looks not even once. Good luck!

Hey there,

Basically during this Psych Evaluation they try and make sure that you don't have any signs or background of any mental health and if you do they want to make sure that you're actively seeing someone to talk about any issues that you may be going through. The questions that they ask aren't driven towards how are things are home (in your marriage). It's mainly they want to know if you have a support person that will be in place to help you along the way. They will also want to know what plans you have in place now, and after the surgery once you go through any obstacles. Just be honest during this evaluation. If you have seen a mental health doctor at any time just tell them because if you have seen a mental health doctor through the same hospital they will know about this and will want to know why this wasn't brought to their attention. Work your program. They will mainly ask you things about how you are feeling going through this process and ask you questions on how long you've been overweight and they will ask you what type of eater you are and will ask you about trigger foods that will be an issue for you now and going forward. If you have no issues with mental help and you have a solid plan on how you plan to cope with any issues you'll be fine. They also make you take this test where they test your memory and stuff like that. It's pretty smooth sailing. You really don't have to talk about your issues at home. You'll be fine! Good luck!

Also let me add this. I was cleared from a mental health stand point after the meeting. I had time like 5 years ago when I was going through a super depressed period in my life and I checked myself into a mental hospital due to stress and I told them about this and how I followed up with a mental health doctor after my time at this place and they didn't find that it was an issue because now I'm in a super good place with stress management. I was honest about it and they didn't use that against me. Also, in the program I am in for the Bariatric surgery they recommended that I attend some support group meeting or join an online support group (so I joined here) and that's helped a lot. I have a friend that went through the process as well. She's diagnosed as clinically depressed and take an anti-depressant. She didn't pass her evaluation. The doctor wanted to see her two more times before deciding to pass her only cause she's not actively seeing a shrink! So you'll be fine.

My psych evaluation was very short but intense. He asked lots of questions pertaining to why I wanted the surgery, what I loved and hated abut myself, family history, he asked about tragedies that may have happened throughout life. It was very intense. You never want to go into the evaluation telling them you want surgery just to look good. There has to be a more sensible reason like you want to live a healthy life for your children and be around to watch them grow up. I never mentioned my looks not even once. Good luck! My psych evaluation was very short but intense. He asked lots of questions pertaining to why I wanted the surgery, what I loved and hated abut myself, family history, he asked about tragedies that may have happened throughout life. It was very intense. You never want to go into the evaluation telling them you want surgery just to look good. There has to be a more sensible reason like you want to live a healthy life for your children and be around to watch them grow up. I never mentioned my looks not even once. Good luck!

She's so right here! Let them know that you've dealt with weight your entire life and that you've tried all the diets and have been successful but that you can't keep the weight off. I'm not sure if you have any other health related issues like High Blood Pressure or anything. But, for me it's all about health and feeling better. I never mentioned how I want to wear that perfect outfit or become one of those TOOLS we see out there on the beach. Telling them you want to be skinny and look good would def be a red flag.