Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What did you do to get out of work for surgery? What did you tell work?

I am guessing most people used sick time, vacation or personal time. I am only going be be using sick home. I have never called in sick. I have over a month in sick time. Not much in vacation and personal days. The only way I can use sick time, is by calling out the day of surgery. I am not up to telling work that I'm getting weight-loss surgery. Work doesn't let you request sick time. I'm trying to figure out what would be the best thing I could say to them. Appendicitis Maybe? Lol

If you have worked for a company for over a year and have worked at least 1250 hours in the year, then you can qualify for FMLA (Family Medical Leave Act ) which you are allowed 12 weeks in a calendar year. I have been working for the same company that offers paid time off (PTO ) and also emergency medical time off (EMTO). Usually the first 32 hours come out of a Paid time off bank and then the rest can come out of EMTO bank. I also have short term disability benefits that I pay through work. If your work doesn't provide PTO, you can still qualify for FMLA if they have more than 50 employees, but you may not get paid if you don't have PTO. However you time off will still be protected under the law and they have to keep your job as long as you return at the end of the 12 weeks. I am not required to disclose to any employer what I am having done. I will say I am having surgery, but will not disclose specifics. Employers can't ask you either, it's against the law.

So, if your employer has less than 50 employees, and if you have worked there less than a year, then you won't be able to use FMLA. I would find out those questions first. I am a pro at FMLA lol

I believe work has to let you, in the case of a planned surgery, request or let them know ahead of time! Just FMLA you have to tell them. I don't have to say what kind of surgery at my employer. I just said it's personal but as long as I have an MD note that states how long I have to be out and when I am returning that is all I am required to have. I would ask HR if I were you. We are able to use any time that we have (sick, vacation, etc) I've only have been at this new employer for 8 months when I have surgery, but they have been wonderful about my privacy etc.

Tell them that you are having surgery, and let that be the end of that. Where I work, we have the union and our supervisor cannot ask us anything beyond that. Have your doctor write you an excuse and ask if they can leave off details that states you are having bariatric surgery. It's your personal health information (HIPPA law).

At my work, our paid time off comes out of one bucket, whether it's sick time, personal time or vacation. For the first two weeks, I'm using PTO. After that, short-term disability kicks in and pays 60 percent of my normal pay. I'll use PTO to make up the remaining 40 percent and get my normal paycheck. I'm taking off a total of five weeks and working from home one week.

I'm also filling out FMLA paperwork. This protects my job. It means they can't just replace me while I'm out. I don't actually get any money from that.

I suggest talking with your boss and/or contacting your HR rep to find out what's available to you. If you're comfortable with it, you can just tell them you're having surgery and need to be out, no elaboration. Your HR rep might find out if they handle your FMLA paperwork, but should be professional and keep it to themselves.

Tell them that you are having surgery, and let that be the end of that. Where I work, we have the union and our supervisor cannot ask us anything beyond that. Have your doctor write you an excuse and ask if they can leave off details that states you are having bariatric surgery. It's your personal health information (HIPPA law).

Same here and I'm not in a union environment. My boss isn't allowed to ask questions.

I used sick time and comp time. I did tell my boss what specifically I was having done-- but I trusted her explicitly.

Can you get a letter from your doctor stating that you are under his/her care from X-date to Y date and can't work? Seems silly that you can't 'plan' a sick day. I think they'd be more appreciative of some advance notice so they can plan accordingly.

Also, depending on the size of your employer, they probably should be getting FMLA papers from you.

I told my boss I was having weight loss surgery and an estimated time I would be away from the office. I used my PTO (paid time off) and he wanted me to go on short-term disability. He was certain that I would be out for six weeks or longer.

I was working from home after three-days post op and back to work full time in 10 days.

As people have mentioned, you do have several options regarding notifying your work. I would check with your human resources department and ask them. They should be able to keep the information confidential. For me, being up-front and honest is the best policy....that way I don't get tripped up in any falsehoods. Besides, as my husband would tell you, I am the worst liar ever. A poker face, I do not have.

I am the nonworking one in my house. However, my husband did take time off for my surgery and recovery. Like otherfs above, he had to use his PTO while staying with me. With my permission when he was asked what surgery I was having, he told his bosses. They made it very clear if more time off was needed he could take more. They wished me well and offered to help should we need the help. I wasn't aware that he wasn't to disclose the surgery to employers.

I think it depends on your boss if you feel comfortable in telling them. Some bosses aren't trustworthy enough with that information. Legally they can't ask you. All they can ask is how long do you expect to be gone and when are you planning on return.

FMLA for my time off, I will use PTO and extended Illness time for three weeks than STD.

Per my doctor's recommendation, I took off 4 weeks. I let my boss know I would be out for 4 weeks having surgery (I in fact told him it was bariatric surgery, but I didn't have to). The HR team took over and made sure I was setup with approvals for FMLA leave, assisted me in applying for Short Term Disability (which pays 67% of my paycheck), and setup to have the remainder paid through my sick time so I didn't have to use sick time for all of it, yet I still get a full paycheck.

Everyone in the US is covered by FMLA (although it only applies to employers with more than 50 employees I think). Some people have Short Term Disability insurance (like I do), others rely on state disability insurance (depending on the state).

It is best to talk with your company's HR team; normally they will at least tell you what benefits you are eligible for. Assuming they are professionals, the HR team will know not to pry into your health situation, but will be looking for documentation (such as a doctor's note). To ensure you qualify for FMLA, they need more information from your doctor, but the coordinator at my doctor's office was completely aware of this and provided them with all the info they needed.

Don't assume that you need to use up all of your sick time, or that you are going to have to divulge all the details of your surgery. Normally this isn't necessary.

To be clear: Bariatric surgery qualifies as a bona fide short-term disability, and at least in California qualifies you for State Disability Insurance until you return to work (or more specifically, for the period your doctor says you will be unable to work).

The only thing HR knew was that I was having stomach surgery and that was it , it was none of their business what type of stomach surgery i was having my doctor said.

I used FMLA as well and had paid sick time saved up. I had initially planned on taking three weeks off, but went back in the hospital the weekend before I was scheduled to go back to work, so ended up being off five weeks.