Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Questions about weight loss surgery

I went into my surgeon's consult knowing I wanted the Bypass and he agreed. It was an easy decision for me.

Lap Band: I didn't like the idea of a foreign object in my body. Research later showed many complications.

Sleeve: I'm not comfortable with the idea of losing a whole part of my stomach. Later on, research showed it wasn't right for me at my BMI. I felt I needed the malabsorption in addition to restriction.

Bypass: Gold Standard. Research backed up my decision. The rate of weight loss, the long term benefits. Oddly enough, I am strangely comfortable with the rerouting of my innards. I can't explain why but it just feels better to me. Possibly because it is reversible if complications arise and call for it.

I went into my surgeon's consult knowing I wanted the Bypass and he agreed. It was an easy decision for me.

Lap Band: I didn't like the idea of a foreign object in my body. Research later showed many complications.

Sleeve: I'm not comfortable with the idea of losing a whole part of my stomach. Later on, research showed it wasn't right for me at my BMI. I felt I needed the malabsorption in addition to restriction.

Bypass: Gold Standard. Research backed up my decision. The rate of weight loss, the long term benefits. Oddly enough, I am strangely comfortable with the rerouting of my innards. I can't explain why but it just feels better to me. Possibly because it is reversible if complications arise and call for it.

I wish they offered the bypass here but they don't. So I'm thinking Sleeve at this point. Losing my stomach is very scary but I think it's the better than the band.

Additionally, with your anatomy unchanged, your hunger hormone will respond to weight loss like it always does...increase your hunger and lower your metabolism when you lose weight.

While I'm no longer pro-band, I would like it to be noted that this is untrue. With an optimally-tuned lapband (correct fill level, eating band-friendly food) hunger will not increase nor will metabolism slow down as bandsters lose weight. As long as the band is functioning properly and the patient remains compliant (and this is true of ALL WLS), hunger will remain dimmed and metabolism rolls along just fine.
. Well thank you! Good to know. What surgeries have you had?

If you look at my info, you will see I had a lapband in March 2013. A year later, I developed complications in the form of heart arrythmia (related to the lapband and its position on the vagus nerve). I will not revise to another WLS.

Additionally, with your anatomy unchanged, your hunger hormone will respond to weight loss like it always does...increase your hunger and lower your metabolism when you lose weight.

While I'm no longer pro-band, I would like it to be noted that this is untrue. With an optimally-tuned lapband (correct fill level, eating band-friendly food) hunger will not increase nor will metabolism slow down as bandsters lose weight. As long as the band is functioning properly and the patient remains compliant (and this is true of ALL WLS), hunger will remain dimmed and metabolism rolls along just fine.
. Well thank you! Good to know. What surgeries have you had?
If you look at my info, you will see I had a lapband in March 2013. A year later, I developed complications in the form of heart arrythmia (related to the lapband and its position on the vagus nerve). I will not revise to another WLS.
oh I didn't realize we could look a profiles. Sorry new to the site. Wow. That it quite a complication. Thanks so much for sharing your experience with me.

ktscott,

Welcome to the forums!

Those are great questions. It’s good to get information from as many sources as you can, doctors and patients, so you can get a variety of facts and experiences. Then filter the info and make the best decision for yourself.

I got the band because it helps me with Portion Control but does not interfere with nutrient absorption – so I’m less likely to get nutrient deficiencies. I also like that it is adjustable because it’s a bit of a safety net. If I ever get sick and need it loosened, I can. The sleeve is so permanent!

The band is, however, getting less popular, and the sleeve is getting more popular. We don’t know yet how the sleeve does in the long-term, although it’s looking good in the short-term.

Do you need medications for your RA? Would the sleeve affect absorption? That may be a consideration.

I think every WLS patient is worried about “rewarding themselves” later. That’s why our first several diets didn’t work and we needed to get WLS! I think whether you go for the sleeve or band, you’ll need to make the commitment for life if you want to hit and maintain goal weight. Anyone can eat around the band OR the sleeve and gain the weight back.

Good luck with your decision!

ktscott,

Welcome to the forums!

Those are great questions. It’s good to get information from as many sources as you can, doctors and patients, so you can get a variety of facts and experiences. Then filter the info and make the best decision for yourself.

I got the band because it helps me with Portion Control but does not interfere with nutrient absorption – so I’m less likely to get nutrient deficiencies. I also like that it is adjustable because it’s a bit of a safety net. If I ever get sick and need it loosened, I can. The sleeve is so permanent!

The band is, however, getting less popular, and the sleeve is getting more popular. We don’t know yet how the sleeve does in the long-term, although it’s looking good in the short-term.

Do you need medications for your RA? Would the sleeve affect absorption? That may be a consideration.

I think every WLS patient is worried about “rewarding themselves” later. That’s why our first several diets didn’t work and we needed to get WLS! I think whether you go for the sleeve or band, you’ll need to make the commitment for life if you want to hit and maintain goal weight. Anyone can eat around the band OR the sleeve and gain the weight back.

Good luck with your decision!

. Thanks Alex. I never considered that the sleeve would affect absorption. I'm going to my RA doctor in a few weeks and I want to ask her if she's had any patients do WLS and if so what path they chose. I do have to take immune suppressors to keep my pain and joint degeneration at bay. Great point! Thanks so much. If I can have great results with the band I like how non invasive it is and the fact that it is reversible in case I have an reaction or complication due to my RA.

If I may suggest, do your research, look at the pros and cons of all WLS, and this site has a lot of information to pull from. Have a list of questions ready for your meeting with your surgeon, attend a WLS group meeting in your area and talk to the actual patients. It's a big step but it can change your life. Good Luck.

If I may suggest, do your research, look at the pros and cons of all WLS, and this site has a lot of information to pull from. Have a list of questions ready for your meeting with your surgeon, attend a WLS group meeting in your area and talk to the actual patients. It's a big step but it can change your life. Good Luck.

. Thanks!

Hi I am new to this. I have recently decided to have weight loss surgery. I have the option of gastric sleeve or lapband. I have alot to consider. I am I person that yo yo diets and even though I am fully dedicated to getting my health to its best. I'm afraid I'm going g to try to reward myself in the future. Which surgery is best for long term results? Also I have some concerns because I have Rheumatoid Arthritis for which I take immune suppressors and a daily steroid. Do any of you have an auto immune disease or take steroids? And if so which surgery did you try and how are your results?

I yoyo dieted for years and after attending the presurgical meeting to determine which type would be best, I chose sleeve. Lapband had too many chances to gain that weight back. And if I was going to spend that kind of money out of my own pocket, I wanted one that I knew I had a fighting chance to lose and keep it off.

Hi I am new to this. I have recently decided to have weight loss surgery. I have the option of gastric sleeve or lapband. I have alot to consider. I am I person that yo yo diets and even though I am fully dedicated to getting my health to its best. I'm afraid I'm going g to try to reward myself in the future. Which surgery is best for long term results? Also I have some concerns because I have Rheumatoid Arthritis for which I take immune suppressors and a daily steroid. Do any of you have an auto immune disease or take steroids? And if so which surgery did you try and how are your results?

I yoyo dieted for years and after attending the presurgical meeting to determine which type would be best, I chose sleeve. Lapband had too many chances to gain that weight back. And if I was going to spend that kind of money out of my own pocket, I wanted one that I knew I had a fighting chance to lose and keep it off.
Thanks! My Seminar is next week. So ready to get started

I had the lapband from 2001 to 2011 and didn't lose much, regained it all plus some after I had to have the fill removed, suffered from band induced reflux etc...

Except for about the first few months, I never really experienced hunger relief from the band - restriction yes, hunger relief no. I also didn't recieve proper "dietary" guidelines. I thought since I was a volume eater (lots of healthy food too - just too much of everything) the band would be ideal for me, but instead it turned me into an eater of "sliders" etc. It takes alot of maintenance to get the band tuned just right and it is not a permanent solution (many see that as a pro)

I revised to the sleeve in 2011 and have lost 150# and maintaining in the ballpark of goal for over 2 years now.

There is not alot of long term data on the sleeve, but what little there is indicates that it is not as effective at eliminating diabetes. I am very happy with my choice but I think a person should investigate all possibilities including bypass etc.

I had my lap band for 7 years. I too felt restriction but no less hunger (except for the first few months). It took me 3 years to lose 60 pounds, which I kept off for about 3 mo. I think most of the loss occurred from vomiting, because I was still over eating with a too tight fill. As someone else once wrote, I became an involuntary bulimic. I think most unsuccessful lap banders are. After finally losing my excess weight I came down with an unknown allergy and was put on prednisone. I gained 20 pounds in a month, after only losing weight. It was such a shock and a disappointment. Within a year I had finally gotten my allergy under control with steroids, and gained back everything I'd lost. That was three years ago..and put me into three years of mentally chastising myself. Last year I was finally finished with the steroids, and decided to address my weight issue again. That's when I decided on the sleeve. My doctor has been doing sleeves for over 10 years. Some folks believe the sleeve is new in the last 4-5 years, but it's been around much longer...maybe 20 years? It was first (and still is) used on some exceptionally obese folks as a first surgery, preparing them for RNY. For some it worked so well, they skipped the RNY and just used the sleeve!

I didn't want to try something "in vogue" I wanted something that would work for a lifetime, and I'm hoping (after only one week out from surgery) this is it. Your hunger hormone is mostly removed with that portion of your stomach, but will probably return within 6-18 months. So, within that first year of weight loss your metabolic set point will have been reset, you will have learned new, healthier eating habits, and you'll be exercising..Right? Like everyone says, it's a tool, but it's a second chance to do it right. Good luck in your choice.

I had my lap band for 7 years. I too felt restriction but no less hunger (except for the first few months). It took me 3 years to lose 60 pounds, which I kept off for about 3 mo. I think most of the loss occurred from vomiting, because I was still over eating with a too tight fill. As someone else once wrote, I became an involuntary bulimic. I think most unsuccessful lap banders are. After finally losing my excess weight I came down with an unknown allergy and was put on prednisone. I gained 20 pounds in a month, after only losing weight. It was such a shock and a disappointment. Within a year I had finally gotten my allergy under control with steroids, and gained back everything I'd lost. That was three years ago..and put me into three years of mentally chastising myself. Last year I was finally finished with the steroids, and decided to address my weight issue again. That's when I decided on the sleeve. My doctor has been doing sleeves for over 10 years. Some folks believe the sleeve is new in the last 4-5 years, but it's been around much longer...maybe 20 years? It was first (and still is) used on some exceptionally obese folks as a first surgery, preparing them for RNY. For some it worked so well, they skipped the RNY and just used the sleeve!

I didn't want to try something "in vogue" I wanted something that would work for a lifetime, and I'm hoping (after only one week out from surgery) this is it. Your hunger hormone is mostly removed with that portion of your stomach, but will probably return within 6-18 months. So, within that first year of weight loss your metabolic set point will have been reset, you will have learned new, healthier eating habits, and you'll be exercising..Right? Like everyone says, it's a tool, but it's a second chance to do it right. Good luck in your choice.

. I have had alot of people on here share their experiences with the lap band and about 98% of experiences have been not so great. I think I'm pro Sleeve. I just hope my doctor agree. Thanks for sharing :)