Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Protein Shake Liquid Diet Suggestion?

We were told to start trying out Protein shakes and find one that we liked for our liquid diet and post op surgery, and I did.... However when I met with the doctor and we went over my food journal my flavor happened to have caffeine in it an I didn't like any of the other flavor a or brands that I tried, does anyone have any good flavors or brands they could suggest?

I really liked the Special K French vanilla and Milk chocolate ones. It didn't even dawn on me chocolate and caffeine I was just thinking flavors.

I've tried the costco brand, numerous powders( I couldn't even swallow the powders they were all awful) ... The eas was horrible and the pure Protein I think wasn't great either. They Just really expensive to keep buying the 6 packs to try one and ditch so just curious for opinions! Thanks in advance!!

Your taste buds may change after surgery. Therefore I might be too soon to experiment and downselect a Protein shake. It might be better to wait until after surgery to perform the experimentation.

I had RNY surgery and experimented prior to surgery. After surgery I could no longer tolerate the type I selected initially. I do not know if your type of surgery also had the same effect. You might ask if this trait was common among sleeve patients.

I'm a little over two weeks out past my RNY, and the brands I like are: muscle milk (all flavors but their chocolate least of all. The Cookies and creme one is great), pure Protein (which is great because it's 35g of protein and only 1g of sugar, and it's in a soda-can size so it's not a huge amount of liquid to drink), and Met-Rx Protein Plus RTD 51. These are all ready to drink shakes and I find them to be the least chalky/gross. Just my experience though. :) You really may have to just try things after surgery because your taste buds certainly will change. Good luck!

I buy now sports whey Protein isolate. One scoop is around 105 calories and 28g protein. I buy unflavored but they have chocolate and vanilla too. Just be be careful with some of the premade shakes, they can be high in sugar

I like the EAS Complete Protein ready made shakes, chocolate fudge. I'm pre-op and that's what I'm drinking now. I will probably have some for post-op, and I will buy some different ones if I don't like them. They have soy protein isolate. But I want whey protein isolate as they are the highest level of protein. I have found some choices at Bariatric Advantage but they are kind of expensive and have to be ordered. So, instead I'll look for some at the store that have whey protein isolate and low carbs, low sugar. When I meet with my surgeon I'll know what to do. For now, I'm looking at my options.

Okay so I was drinking the chocolate and the Pure Protein. It was the only flavor that I liked and the Special K Milk chocolate french vanilla and Mocha and I liked these ones. My doctor told me to stop because we were not suppose to have caffeine. So you are all still doing the chocolate flavors even though there is caffeine in them?

I have tried Isopure (Dutch Chocolate), and it was pretty good. They also have an unflavored kind, that you can just put in anything to boost the Protein. The big draw for me is that it is lactose-free. I am mildly lactose-intolerant, and from what I have heard I can expect it to get much worse after surgery, so I am always looking for something lactose-free now.

Be sure you get their low-carb, since their regular formulas have too much sugar.

Other people also swear by unjury, but I have never tried it.

I have found that most of the Protein drinks sold in grocery stores (or walmart) don't really work well for me, with the exception of Premier Protein from costco. Otherwise, I have gone to GNC or online to look into Protein drinks/powder.

I got my insurance to cover mine by insure nutrition.com