Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

protein intake and weight loss connection ! please advise

Hi

i am a month post op now and since the surgery (gastric bypass) i do really hate Protein shakes i can't stand it so i don't even take 10 or 20 grams per day and since the operation i only lost 10 kilos 5 of them in the first week and the 3 weeks follows only 1 to 2 kilos i am trying to follow everything as planned i started eating normal food like salad 2 days ago and i am afraid of gaining weight again ! or not losing :/ is taking the Protein % per day helps you to lose weight ! i am so depressed of that slow weight loss thing please advise

thanks

The high Protein helps with satiety , but also prevents the loss of muscle and helps burn the fat instead of muscle when combined with exercise. More muscle= more fat loss. More protein= less muscle loss. There are alternative protein options. Unjury or GENEPRO can be added to food or Soups. Please try and get your protein in, it will help your weight loss much faster, gives you energy, and helps with hunger.

There is a wide range of Protein drinks available today. Experiment until you find one that you can tolerate. I hate Protein shakes too. I think they try and make it sound like a milk shake but it is not even close. If you use Protein powders (such as muscle milk light [vanilla creme]) then make sure that you blend it with a blender. If you try and blend it by hand it will not reach the proper consistency to make it tolerable. I used a Ninja blender with a single serving cup. This also allows you to add fruits to the blended Protein Shake. For me a half a banana made the Protein Shake go down much smoother.

If you fail to get enough protein, you body will degrade. You will lose muscle and probably your hair will begin to fall out.

The high Protein helps with satiety , but also prevents the loss of muscle and helps burn the fat instead of muscle when combined with exercise. More muscle= more fat loss. More protein= less muscle loss. There are alternative protein options. Unjury or GENEPRO can be added to food or Soups. Please try and get your protein in, it will help your weight loss much faster, gives you energy, and helps with hunger.

It took me awhile to find a Protein Shake that didnt make me nausea, I finally found Pure Protein Shakes. The chocolate is good by itself. The vanilla is good, but I sometimes put a piece of banana and blend it. Hope you have success in finding one that works.

Did you see that Pure Protein is now offering pumpkin Pie? Yummy!

Did you see that Pure Protein is now offering pumpkin Pie? Yummy!

i live in the UK they don't have that pumpkin spice season thing ! i wish i love pumpkin

Hi

i am a month post op now and since the surgery (gastric bypass) i do really hate Protein shakes i can't stand it so i don't even take 10 or 20 grams per day and since the operation i only lost 10 kilos 5 of them in the first week and the 3 weeks follows only 1 to 2 kilos i am trying to follow everything as planned i started eating normal food like salad 2 days ago and i am afraid of gaining weight again ! or not losing :/ is taking the Protein % per day helps you to lose weight ! i am so depressed of that slow weight loss thing please advise

thanks

If you are a month post op you can probably get most, if not all of your protein from food. You don't have to have protein supplements.

salad doesn't have protein and is probably too hard to digest this early out (if by salad you mean lettuce and other raw, leafy vegetables).

Can you eat Greek yogurt, tuna, turkey, cottage, cheese, etc? All of these foods are good sources of protein.

You have to get enough protein to both heal and lose weight.

What does your NUT advise?

Hi

thanks

If you are a month post op you can probably get most, if not all of your protein from food. You don't have to have protein supplements.

salad doesn't have protein and is probably too hard to digest this early out (if by salad you mean lettuce and other raw, leafy vegetables).

Can you eat Greek yogurt, tuna, turkey, cottage, cheese, etc? All of these foods are good sources of protein.

eggs are a good source of protein, too. I just had an turkey and cheese omlet for Breakfast ...and it was good!

I also can't stand Protein shakes (the premade ones), and used the unflavoured Protein which I added to foods and also used when making my own protein smoothies. There are many high protein smoothie recipes to be found online - I would suggest you go a Google search.

Early on (i.e. 3-4 wks post-op) I gave up on the store-bought, premade Protein Shakes and turned to Protein Bars instead - the chewy, brownie consistency kind, not ones with lots of nuts. I discussed this with my nutritionist at the time and she said that as long as they were going down alright they were a good alternative to the shakes. Atkins and Pure Protein are a couple of brands I can think of off hand.

I also ate a lot of eggs and peanut or almond butter early on. Good luck!

Hi

thanks.

You need to drink your protein it is very important.!!!

i don't follow with any NUT i did the surgery in belgium and when i got back here to the UK they won't help me cause i didn't do the surgery here ! :/ it sucks but i really don't know what to do ! not losing weight is killing me

Hi

thanks

Salad doesn't have protein and is probably too hard to digest this early out (if by salad you mean lettuce and other raw, leafy vegetables).

@@Reem Ashraf - which surgery did you have? I am not sure if the books that they offer on here have the nutrition info you need. I haven't read them yet. However that might be a good place to start.

Did they give you any kind of post-op food plan? Did they give you a Protein target?

I had the sleeve, but think the post-op food plan is similar in the first four weeks for bypass.

By week four I was on soft mechanical foods. Basically everything from the clear liquid, full liquid, soft food, plus soft fish and chicken (canned chicken, tuna, salmon, etc.). salad was not anywhere on this list.

I have a Protein target of 100 grams a day. My goal for fluids is at least 64 oz.

Google Bariatric Center of Excellence bariatric manual and you should see some good program guides with food plans.

I am three months out and still supplement my food with Protein. I make sure to have a lot of variety. chocolate and vanilla whey powder and Silk (or coconut milk) with a couple frozen strawberries blended in. Pro-ti has a nice variety of drinks, not shakes, such as lemonade, strawberry and kiwi, and orange as well as very tasty low sugar bars. Unjury is good but I burned out in them by week 4. I find the key is to have a variety ready, including shakes, drinks, and bars as well as boiled eggs, precooked grilled chicken and Jerky. I get my 60mg+ every day and have lost 90 pounds since surgery.

Edited by Dave Butler