Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any Experiences with Not Obeying Doctors Orders?

I was just curious to see what some people would/could share about their experiences defying their surgeon or nutritionist or bariatric program? Do you regret it?

This is in no way to encourage anyone to stray from their specific program. I was just curious considering all the vastly different expectations between programs and doctors.

No. I am curious why anyone would consider defying their Doctors orders.

Second this.

I defy my doctor's orders. He said to stay away from dried fruit permanently. I eat prunes cuz they make me poop! No regrets!

Edited by sleevenv

I have recently defied my NUT's advice.

At 6 weeks introduce Pasta.

Hell... no thanks

I am self pay and I do not want to risk complications or jeopardize my health in any way. I am following to a T.

I was self pay and after the thousands of dollars I spent I would not do anything to defy what the doctor had said. I want to be the best for me, and don't want to risk anything

I have gone off course many times from the rules. The only regret I have is that I was unable to follow the pre-op diet which I considered a personal failure -but that was my pre-surgery self and it just reinforces that I made the right decision to have the surgery and take some control back.

Post surgery I have no regrets because I feel as though I'm in control and if I every stop losing or start gaining I am ready and willing to change my eating habits until my weight it back where I want it. But that hasn't happened yet. The consequences of not following the rules are probably that I am a slower loser but I don't care - I am enjoying life and eating and drinking whatever I want (the sleeve controls my portions). So no regrets whatsoever.

If you decide to go your own path, my advice is to weigh yourself frequently and keep tabs - I have found that certain things I eat (cake) slow my weight loss more than other things (pizza). So I adjust my choices accordingly. I believe everyone is different in this regard but if you keep track you will find what works for you.

Straws. Surgeon, Nurse, and Nutritionist argue this point. I am pro straws. I have attempted carbonation, but it never turns out well, so I mostly leave it alone. Waiting 5 minutes between supplements. Hello??? There are 5 of them. 25 minutes two times a day? I don't think so...

None. I was the model patient. I followed my doctor's recommendations to the letter. Mind you I did have to have some serious discussions with my nutritionist about what I could and couldn't eat. However, after speaking and explaining why I eat like I do we came to a compromise.

In the end I had a painfree, uneventful surgical course and fairly fast recovery. Despite being on medication that slows my metabolism, I am losing steadily.

I probably dont eat as well as i should at 4 weeks post op. I don't necessarily defy orders because mine were vague. I am eating dried fruit and i drink from a straw and i gulp instead of sip. No problems so far but i have an appointment with a Nut next week and plan to follow her plan as closely as possible.

I defy my doctor's orders. He said to stay away from dried fruit permanently. I eat prunes cuz they make me poop! No regrets!

Is this a common recommendation? (No dried fruit permanently?). I enjoy some dried fruit and it's kind of a staple in backpacking/camping. I hadn't heard this. :-(

Is this a common recommendation? (No dried fruit permanently?). I enjoy some dried fruit and it's kind of a staple in backpacking/camping. I hadn't heard this. :-(

No. I can have it, just not in large amounts. In fact I often use raisins dried cranberries and dried cherries in oatmeal.

I believe my dr and nit recommend no dried fruit because the concentrated sugar and low moisture makes it too easy to get in excess carbs and calories. My personal belief is that if something isn't a trigger food, anything in small amounts is ok. Trigger foods, though, are best to abstain from.

Edited by sleevenv

I probably dont eat as well as i should at 4 weeks post op...... and i drink from a straw and i gulp instead of sip. No problems so far....

I'm only 6 days out and I gulp too! It doesn't hurt me. Did he not make my stomach small enough?!?