Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Stupid things people say when they find out you've had surgery....

"O, I bet your husband is just tickled to death with your weight loss".....

"I bet you can't keep your husband off of you"

Ummmmmm.....

So, apparently some people think that being "wanted" by my husband only comes with weight loss. Huh?? SMDH.

I have been lucky, almost everyone has been supportive. "

The worst (pre-WLS) was "Why do you want to get surgery? You aren't that overweight."

I guess they were trying to pay me a compliment, maybe for a small Pygmy Hippo I was at a good weight, but not for a 6' tall man.

I have been very open and honest with anyone who has asked how I've lost "all that weight"; I can't lie and I have no filter. The only thing that has bugged me was mentioned a few posts back. "I bet your husband is so happy." He is, but he's happy that his wife is happier and healthier. Otherwise, my friends, family and random acquaintances have been supportive to my face. If they talk behind my back, I don't let that stuff bother me anymore :)

So pre-op, the chorus was, "but you're not heavy enough for bariatric surgery", my response was always the same... Thank you! I'm very lucky to carry it "well", but my Dr's and the insurance company would disagree with you. They believe my health will be improved by achieving a normal BMI and a 90-100 pound weight loss. Turns out they were right! No more meds other than a PPI and I almost never have to go the the doctor anymore. I had been going about every 2-3 months for the treatment of asthma, high bp, high cholesterol and generally feeling like crap.

Today when I tell someone I've had WLS that didn't know me before, I typically get, "I can't believe YOU were ever fat". I guess I'll take that as a compliment. Still so strange to hear even at almost 2 years out.

My overweight husband said this... "So when you lose all of the weight I'll have a smoking hot wife, maybe then you'll feel like getting intimate more often." My response, "Maybe, I've had my eye on a couple of guys, I'm just waiting for the right moment." LOL He really needs to step up his game and give me something smoking too!!

Those are some funny, some stupid and some sad comments.

So happy I haven't heard any of these. I didn't share my WLS with anyone but hubby and two friends who live far away.

My temper wouldn't tolerate most of these comments. I'm too pretty for jail, so I'm glad I kept my surgery to myself. :lol:

Why do you guys (and gals) listen to people who have 1) no experience with or 2) no knowledge of weight loss surgery other than what their fearful minds tell them? You know they are speaking from ignorance and the fear of the unknown. Their opinions have no worth and should be disregarded as the meaningless drivel it is.

I hope I am not coming across as being mean or anything like that but I see so many here who are listening too much to the opinions of those who don't know rather than listening to those that do. Their opinions in this case are meaningless!

YOU know the reasons for having the surgery and the results. You know what science and qualified expert information shows and that is all that matters.

There are a lot of people out there, some who care and some who don't, who will speak their minds either out of baseless fear or simple transference of their own emotional problems.

The facts are clear. The benefits of having the surgery, considering the risks, FAR outweigh benefits of not having it. The risks of not having the surgery are significant as we all know. Diabetes, heart disease, greatly reduced enjoyment of life and all it has to offer.

Anyway apologies for the rant. I just think everyone should listen to truth not fiction and know you did the right thing and YOUR life (and those closest to you) will be better because of it. That is the only thing that matters.

Why do you guys (and gals) listen to people who have 1) no experience with or 2) no knowledge of weight loss surgery other than what their fearful minds tell them? You know they are speaking from ignorance and the fear of the unknown. Their opinions have no worth and should be disregarded as the meaningless drivel it is.

I hope I am not coming across as being mean or anything like that but I see so many here who are listening too much to the opinions of those who don't know rather than listening to those that do. Their opinions in this case are meaningless!

YOU know the reasons for having the surgery and the results. You know what science and qualified expert information shows and that is all that matters.

There are a lot of people out there, some who care and some who don't, who will speak their minds either out of baseless fear or simple transference of their own emotional problems.

The facts are clear. The benefits of having the surgery, considering the risks, FAR outweigh benefits of not having it. The risks of not having the surgery are significant as we all know. Diabetes, heart disease, greatly reduced enjoyment of life and all it has to offer.

Anyway apologies for the rant. I just think everyone should listen to truth not fiction and know you did the right thing and YOUR life (and those closest to you) will be better because of it. That is the only thing that matters.

Some of us just aren't as confident as you.

Some of us just aren't as confident as you.

/shrug if that is the case and isn't going to change then nothing I or anyone else says to be supportive or offer advice is going to help. That said I hope that others do find the advice useful.

This was a fun thread. I don't think anyone on here took the comments too seriously or else they wouldn't have had the surgery to begin with. People say dumb things. Just a fact of life. This thread was just to share them and laugh at the stupidity amongst others that know what you're going thru.

Edited by Awjones28

Good point and point taken Aw :)

"Well, have you tried just diet and excerise?"

Like every other overweight person on the planet, only about 100 times......

Uggg this question is always the one that flips my "B" switch on!!????????

I still have a ways to go to get the surgery and my significant other mentioned what I am doing to a friend of his and he swore I don't look like I need to lose enough weight for surgery lol we just got a big giggle out of it, I had only met him a few times so I actually liked the fact that's size was not something he noticed ???????? so far everyone I have told has been excited for me..