Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Stupid things people say when they find out you've had surgery....

"Weight loss surgery is for people who actually NEED it"

..... Ummmm yeah. Me?

"Well I'm obese too"

..... Said by my size 8 friend

"It's all about will power and clearly you don't have it"

... Cuz 6 months of education, a change in lifestyle, 2 week no cheating liquid diet, months of support groups, and regular exercise isn't willpower?

"I can see your losing weight so why do you need the surgery"

... Because losing 10 pounds on a liquid diet isn't losing the 130 pounds that I need to be healthy. I can't just be on a liquid diet forever.

"Just try paleo it worked for me, I wish I woulda got you to try it sooner so you wouldn't get this surgery"

... Actually I'm allergic to fruits and veggies. The majority of that diet will literally kill me. Also, your not my super hero. I don't need you to "save me" from the big bad wls. Lol

Most people just say things because they are uneducated. I've learned to just take it and move forward.

All of the "stupid" questions that you all have mentioned is exactly why I haven't told many people. My immediate family and a few really close friends know and that's it. It's amazing when you tell someone you are considering it, they automatically have a horror story for you. I don't need to hear it and it's not like I don't know that some will gain their weight back. I've researched this for quite some time. I'm not embarrassed about having surgery, I just feel that it is a personal decision that I made with the input with my immediate family.

@Awjones28 I'M CRACKING UP - I SOUND LIKE YOU - WE MAY HAVE BEEN SEPARATED AT BIRTH, HA HA HA HA THAT WAS SO FUNNY

@ Sophie74656 I TOTALLY AGREE WITH THE LAST PARAGRAPH YOU WROTE, I SAY THAT TO MY FIANCE ALL THE TIME. THIS IS HARD, THIS TAKES WORK, THIS TAKES SELF CONTROL, I COULD EAT ALL DAY LONG IF I WANTED TO AND EAT BAD THINGS AND GET RIGHT BACK IN THE SHAPE I STARTED IN....WE ALL COULD!!! PEOPLE THINKING THIS WAS CHEATING OR THE EASY WAY OUT SHOULD FEEL THE PAIN, NAUSEA, ANXIETY, DEPRESSION, ETC THAT I FELT FOR THE FIRST FEW MONTHS, AND THATS NOT THE HALF OF IT...ANYWAY I TOTALLY AGREE.

I FEEL THE SAME WAY ABOUT THE "HOW MUCH HAVE YOU LOST" QUESTIONS. I ABSOLUTELY LOATHE THAT QUESTION. I KNOW, I KNOW, SOMETIMES ITS A COMPLIMENT IN A WAY FROM SOME PEOPLE. BUT WHAT MY WEIGHT WAS AND WHAT IT IS NOW IS PERSONAL TO ME. I'VE HAD IT ASKED ABOUT 75 TIMES NOW AND I HAVEN'T TOLD ANYONE.

I HAVE ONE! AND THIS I GUESS IS A QUESTION TOO....

***YOU'VE LOST WEIGHT****

AS IF I DIDN'T KNOW THAT ALREADY....

WHAT IN THE WORLD DO YOU ALL SAY WHEN SOMEONE SAYS THAT TO YOU???????? HAPPENS TO ME ALMOST DAILY AND I JUST DON'T HAVE A CLUE WHAT TO SAY, ESPECIALLY WHEN I REFUSE TO DISCUSS MY WEIGHT LOSS WITH ANYONE....

@@Jazziminna - Yes he does need to step up his game. Remind him the three biggest causes of ED - weight/smoking/lack of exercise. If he wants to be in "the game" he better get moving. I feel like I'm 19 again at 52, so watch out. (yes I am the "reformed whore at the revival service" here...I used to smoke too)

You simply say why yes I have thank you how is xyz... (Thing happening in their life) and keep it moving I also remind myself( often muttering under my breath that I'm gonna need the bail money for my new wardrobe ) it really helps keep me sane when I wanna bitchslap ppl when they act so crazy and want to keep asking questions when I clearly don't have an interest in discussing it with them

I HAVE ONE! AND THIS I GUESS IS A QUESTION TOO....

***YOU'VE LOST WEIGHT****

AS IF I DIDN'T KNOW THAT ALREADY....

WHAT IN THE WORLD DO YOU ALL SAY WHEN SOMEONE SAYS THAT TO YOU???????? HAPPENS TO ME ALMOST DAILY AND I JUST DON'T HAVE A CLUE WHAT TO SAY, ESPECIALLY WHEN I REFUSE TO DISCUSS MY WEIGHT LOSS WITH ANYONE....

I would just say thank you then either change the subject or walk away. ????

I am in a long distance relationship. Someone said to me, "after you lose weight, are you going to meet someone local?"

::blinkblink::

Sure, because the reason I'm in a long-distance relationship is because I can't get a man that wants to see me more often since I'm so fat!

So to avoid uneducated comments I have decided to NOT inform certain people about my journey. For now Its my husband and kids(all for it, extremely supportive :) ), two best friends, and my insurance broker (she comes in handy) Who am I on the fence about and havent'told, my brothers and my parents. Why...........well, I can just hear it now. Everything everyone said in the above comments, and I don't need that now while I am trying to focus on myself for the first time in a long time. Sadly mom manages to make a situation that has nothing to do with her, about her. Don't get me wrong love her etc. but everyone elses situation magically becomes all about her. I do think my dad will be fine with it, I just am not ready. I need to stay mentally focused on what Im doing here. We all need to stay focused on ourselves. This is a major decision for all of us going through this. And the last thing we need are the nay sayers of the world giving us "mind frick" to shoot us down because of THEIR insecurities and failures. So for those who are just beginning this don't feel like you have to divulge everything about this, it is no ones business but your own.

Surgery date is Oct 12th!

I'll let you know how it goes if I do tell them :)

I got, from a woman whose waist is the same size as my thigh, "but you aren't fat." I'm not a doctor, but sweet friend, please have your vision checked. Also, "are you sure you can give up real food? " Because whoppers and french fries grow in a garden? Huh???

@@skd1122 -- Good plan, just saying. I spent good frequent flyer miles on someone to be very bored watching over me for no good reason because I blabbed to family members.

My reply to "You Lost Weight" ..........."thanks for noticing"....Ive worked really hard. If they say "wow you look great"....just say thank you...and own the compliment. And move on :D