Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Stupid things people say when they find out you've had surgery....

Whenever I hear someone say that the surgery was "cheating" or the "easy way out" I just want to tell them

oh really, yeah because going to consultations with the surgeon, a psychologist, nutritionist, cardiologist, pulmonologist, hematologist, rheumatologist...then having numerous blood tests, ekgs, ultrasounds, xrays...then battling with insurance...then dealing with post op issues, not getting to eat the things you like, watching others carelessly shove food into their mouths, walking for half an hour when you have no energy...

oh yeah, that was really easy

I know what you mean Sophie just so negative

My sister, after I told her I was having WLS:

So is that like Lipo? ??

We grew up in a medical family and I'm astounded by how little she understands about the human body. How in the hell does she think you could suck 100+ pounds of fat distributed throughout the body out of a person at once? What kind of stupid do you have to be to think that's possible?

So is that like Lipo? ??

We grew up in a medical family and I'm astounded by how little she understands about the human body. How in the hell does she think you could suck 100+ pounds of fat distributed throughout the body out of a person at once? What kind of stupid do you have to be to think that's possible?

but wouldn't it be great if you could just suck it all out at once?

Oh it would, if it could be done without killing us...lol.

Ok, this one is actually kind of funny. Went to get my haircut today. My hair guy knows about the surgery (I have told everyone) and I see him every 5 weeks. today he said "You really look different. I mean you look attractive." Umm, thanks? :) He went on to stumble over himself and say "not that you weren't attractive before, I just mean, um uh..." It was pretty funny....

I am 3 weeks post op and ready to go back to work on Monday called my boss to let her know( by the way she is an RN) and she asked me how many calories I was eating a day and told her between 600-700. And her answer to that was "that is not enough calories to sustain good health". Really, as a nurse you think she would know better on what happens when you remove three quarters of your stomach and it only holds 4 ounces.

Several of my friends/family in health and fitness told me the same thing! It is a pain in the butt to have to defend my WSL lifestyle. Again, when I move it will be on a need to know bases only! I will not lie! However, I don't want to spend the next 40 plus years taking about this medical procedure unless I am getting paid. Lol

Edited by LadyK44

Exactly! I am so happy for my decision it was the first thing I did for myself in 25 years. I don't want to justify myself to anyone.

Shelly, I can so relate! My mother fat shames me all the time and tells me that I've let her down and she's disappointed in me bc of my weight.

I'm at the point where I want to have this surgery, and lose the weight and never see my own mother again!

She's actually told me before that she doesn't want to see me until I'm thin.

It's really bad. I've only gone to see her once this year (Mother's Day )

She keeps trying to give me incentives.. A whole new wardrobe.. If I lose weight..

She's very wealthy and I get an inheritance from my Father who passed away 6 years ago.. But my mother holds all the cards. She has threatened me several times to not give me the money if I don't lose weight. (My home situation is such that getting a job making less than my inheritance gives is not an option for me)

I was at my lowest weight last year

(40 pounds less than I am right now)

And my mom still fat shamed me bc I hadn't got to my perfect weight yet after all these years.. She bettered me in front of a friend.

I've forgiven her bc she asked me to.

But then it seems she hurts me again.

This last time of fat shaming was a week ago.

Sorry for rambling

So is that like Lipo? ??

I had someone ask if I had Lipo. I was just as confused by her question as you were. How can one really know that little about surgery???

"I bet your husband is so happy."

He is, but he's happy that his wife is happier and healthier.

⬆⬆⬆⬆⬆ nailed it!

My husband loves me. I can say this because he has been with me thick and thin. (Pun intended)

We have been through a lot together. Thru sickness and health.. right?

We have a healthy intimate life now with me being the size I am. When I was thin I don't remember having to pry him off me all the time and I don't think that's how it'll be when I'm small again. We aren't rabbits, that's for sure! Hahaha

My best friend said that very same thing to me the other day 'I bet Shane is excited...!'

Um no, he has actually said to me:

"I cant wait for you to be happy and healthy and we can do stuff we used to love doing together again."

(Ex: hiking mountains)

Also my best friend actually had the nerve to say to me 3 days before surgery:

"I don't want you to have surgery. I'm scared for you. How about just trying to eat less and exercise?"

She's been my BFF for over 30 years.. she knows I've struggled with my weight my entire life. She knows I've tried every f**king diet/trick/pill etc in the book. She's seen me go up and down up and down -- I just want to get the eff down and stay there!!!

Lol

Anyways GREAT THREAD

love reading all of these - I have pretty much heard them all at one point in my life whether it being in regard to surgery or some kind of useless diet I was on.

(P.S. I am a previous lap bander as well so this is the second time around for all of the shitty ass comments that people say before thinking)

Good luck to all!

I love this site :)

i told one of our couple friends that i was getting the surgery and he was like i dont think you need it your not that big and i was like dude i have a bmi of 51 for a 24 year old woman and he was like wow yeah go do you and be healthy. my mother in law is a rockstar totally supportive the only question that caught me off guard was how much will you be able to eat and i was like 1/4 of a cup and she was like oh my god how is that possible lol. shes 75 and a doctor so she gets my weight is an issue

Reading these replies is exactly why I decided to keep my surgery a secret. (I told a handful of very close and supportive people, one handful only).

I still get some snide comments from my father, and it just reconfirms that this is no one elses business but my own.

I am hoping to get a surgery date scheduled tomorrow. I have been selective in who I tell about my surgery, but the worst most nonhelpful comments keep coming from my father. Several people have been like "hmmm, that sounds like a good idea!" No one has told me I am not big enough.

I have been dieting since I was 6 (I'm almost 44 now). My weight has always been an issue for my parents. I had a very large grandmother and several of my dad's sisters are pretty big. My dad has always been tall and thin and has never really dieted in his life. He thinks he's being helpful.

"after my knee surgery, I won't be able to give you rides on my motorcycle until you lose weight. Maybe that will motivate you!" This was the day after I told my parents about my plan for the surgery.

"I don't think you are disciplined enough for this surgery to work." This was after almost 2 years of working out 1-2 hours a day and trying to eat healthy and only losing 20 lbs.

I am staying with my parents for most of my recovery so I anticipate several more comments post surgery from Dad. I just keep reminding myself that he thinks he's helping, he just doesn't get it. I think I have mom on my side to try and reign him in if he gets too obnoxious after surgery.

pam

Edited by mngreeneyes