Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

pre op effort suggestions

Hi to all,

I have my first consult appt in the beginning of November, 2015. With over 11 weeks to go before that appointment, what recommendations do you have to prepare, i .e., exercise, weight loss, avoidance of certain foods, etc. Much appreciated.

Hi @@rejeannern,

I've been going through the 6 month pre-op process required by my insurance and my program. Here is what they told me:

• Drink 64 ounces of Water a day
  • Take a Multivitamin
  • Practice chewing thoroughly
  • Practice taking small bites (size of an eraser)
  • Stop drinking pop
  • Begin to cut out refined carbs
  • Eat lean Protein at every meal
  • Eat a fruit or vegetable at every meal
  • Keep a food diary
  • Get some exercise

I also have seen my PCP once a month. There was a special form that needed to be filled out to make sure the insurance company gets what they need. I have to have my PCP supervising my diet/exercise plan so if you have this requirement I'd definitely start there. Good luck and enjoy the process....great things are waiting for you.

In addition, you might want to start taking extra D3. My program had us start taking it as soon as we started considering surgery. It is especially important for bariatric patients and almost everyone is deficient in D.

My insurance doesn't require any pre-op diet or weight loss. However my surgeon wants me to loose 30lbs. Suggestions from anyone on the fastest way to do that? I am so ready to get this going.

Edited by mrsob1

I've tried to approach it with a "why wait for the surgery to begin losing" view.

It's been very revealing.

I cut out beer, rum and all other alcohol at the very beginning. Turns out to have been easier than cutting back simple carbs. I've caved in to doughnuts and pizza more than once.

A back injury woke me up and had me consider the bypass surgery.....healing has been stubborn but it's occurring while I'm slowly losing weight.....hoping to be able to begin exercise very soon. This will help me better prepare for the bypass procedure.

I really needed to face this stuff now.....well ahead of my surgery. Like I said....it's been really revealing.

My insurance doesn't require any pre-op diet or weight loss. However my surgeon wants me to loose 30lbs. Suggestions from anyone on the fastest way to do that? I am so ready to get this going.

Different strokes for different folks but what works for me is to cut out all the non-Fiber carbs, stay below maintenance level on daily calories and walking a lot.

I also found that cutting way back on sodium and drinking Water all day long while doing the above leads to really fast weight loss. I burned off 120 lbs in 8 months doing this. It was a few years back and I've done very, very poorly keeping it off......but it does work fast if you need to burn off some weight quick.

Dub, thanks for the reply. I am way below my allowed intake according to myfitnesspal on a regular basis. I average about 900 calories a day or less. At first it was coming off nicely but it has slowed so much. I'm frustrated! I'll keep am eye on my sodium for sure.

Dub, thanks for the reply. I am way below my allowed intake according to myfitnesspal on a regular basis. I average about 900 calories a day or less. At first it was coming off nicely but it has slowed so much. I'm frustrated! I'll keep am eye on my sodium for sure.

Even though you are pre-op you still need to make sure you are getting enough Protein. Your weight loss has probably slowed because you are eating too few calories.

How much Protein pre-op is needed? I thought about the too few calories but thought that since I'll be eating even less after surgery I'd be ok... So

Confusing!

How much Protein pre-op is needed? I thought about the too few calories but thought that since I'll be eating even less after surgery I'd be ok... So

Confusing!

I would think the Protein goal would be the same.

If you are doing a supervised diet what have you been advised to do?

Have you seen your NUT?

My Protein goal is 100 grams a day. My NUT said that 100 grams was for anyone over a BMI of 50 and all men. Try drinking at least 64 oz Water a day, eating Protein first, eat at least 100 grams protein a day, avoid starches (bread, potatoes, rice, Pasta and starchy vegetables like corn), and avoid added sugar and high fat salad dressings, etc.

Eat lean protein and lots of green vegetables.

Since you still have a large stomach pre-op, you can eat a lot of vegetables which will help keep you "full". Eating protein and healthy fats will help you be satisfied.

I stopped all NSAIDs (the day after my initial consultation which was 4 months preop) because I had been used to taking ibuprofen a lot. It was hard because Tylenol just doesn't do the same job, but I am glad I stopped them before I really needed to.

Edited by red37

thanks to all who replied! The depth of experience and valuable information shared is terrific. I see I have some work to do but look forward to doing it now.

my nut plan for the 6 month is no carbonated beverages no juice 60-80 grams of Protein a day no starchy veggies like corn or peas and 64 ounces of Water a day