Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I began to ponder my reasons for seeking WLS (RNY in my case). i'm barely 30. I don't have much in the way of comorbidities. Pre-diabetes (Which came from pre-op testing) and back and joint issues. It was bugging me because I wanted make this drastic change for the right reasons.

At first, I was all about being healthier and active. Joint problems keep me from walking too far and I hoped weight loss would fix it.

Then, as silly as it sounds, I began to look at the NSVs. Smaller and cuter clothes. Window shopping without stopping to catch my breath. Roller coasters. Weighing less than my boyfriend. In short, maybe surgery would make me happier. Health reasons went by the wayside at this stage. Fun and vanity took over.

Later, I came to this conclusion: I'm being proactive. I'm doing this BEFORE I come down with other problems in the next decade or two. I'm taking care of this obesity problem before it gets the best of me. And I think this is the reasoning I settled on.

So I ask you, not your reasons for WLS but if you or someone you know did it for the "right" reasons. Heck, am I doing this for the "right" reasons.

A stroke did it for me. I figured that I did not have any more time to try yet another diet. I had been on a diet since 1978 and gained an extra fifty pounds.

I think your reasons are spot on. Another comment....you are high Bmi and so those problems you don't have yet are likely to start showing up. I am normal weight now but decades of obesity have left me with a bad hip and knees.

I wish I had done this at 30 - I wasted a lot of time, having surgery at 44.

I went into this wanting to lose pounds - that was my only expectation. I have gotten so much more out of this than losing weight. I have gained my self confidence back. I enjoy life. I have better relationships. I've gotten a promotion at work - not necessarily because I lost pounds, but because I'm more confident; I speak up in meetings and I allowed myself to show everyone what I can do. And, I can wear clothes from the Misses section - that's a plus, too.

All of these are by-products from losing weight - I went into this wanting my only regret to be that I didn't do this sooner...oh how true that is.

I made a list of why I chose WLS and carried it into the hospital with me. The night before my surgery, I reflected deeply on my list. I think this is a good exercise for all pre-ops to do. It's a good thing to look at post op during the inevitable doubting moments.

For me it was a very long list of comorbitities with the final straw being diagnosed with stage 3 kidney disease.

By the way, I waited way to long and have serious damage to my spine. I should have done it 15 years ago. I am 52.

​Good questions! And good for you for battling it instead of just going into this blindly! Yes - they are all good reasons. :) I had the exact same questions and even in the first couple of weeks post-op, I kept wondering if I had done it for the "right" reasons. I felt guilty for what I still considered an "elective" surgery. It took a while to get that out of my head post-op. I felt a lot of "why couldn't I just have done this without surgery", etc. The truth is, if I had done this when I was 30, then I wouldn't have some of the co-morbidities I have now (Type 2 diabetes, high cholesterol, joint pain, etc etc). I was just looking again at my first post-op labs done this week and noticed my dr moved my diagnosis of Type 2 Diabetes to "RESOLVED". I cannot tell you what an amazing feeling that is! Imagine that had I done this at 30 when I was told I was "pre-diabetic", I would never have had to have the diagnosis of Diabetes and the damage it has done to my body this last 17 years.

It is a big decision and only you can make that decision, but not quite 3 months out now, I can't imagine my life without having done this. Keep wrestling with this though. The more you wrestle, the more positive you come out on the other side when you KNOW you made the right decision. Good luck! Keep us posted!

I'd say, considering that you weigh 385 pounds now and regardless of your philosophizing about "the "right" reasons to have WLS, losing a lot of weight with WLS will offer you the right benefits.

If you don't have WLS now do you imagine that in 5 years when you are 35 years old that you'll still weigh 385 pounds? Chances are, you'll weigh at least 450 pounds by then.

I think you need to get more realistic about your current health situation and what the near future holds for you if you don't turn your situation around.

Right reasons? All of the above.

For me, I had lost significant weight once before but couldn't keep it off. This time I knew that WLS was the only way for me to reclaim control over my eating and then make some really major changes in my life.

What's a bad reason for WLS? Doing it against your will because someone is pushing you into it. If you're doing it for yourself, your reasons are valid, whatever they are.

Good luck.

I'm 60 and have rarely in my life put myself first or ever considered spending this kind of money on myself. I do have other issues which helped getting approved but we have an outrageous deductible so it still has been a big deal. I worked all of the six months of stress waiting for approval to loose weight and did loose 40+. If I was doing this I wanted to be in the best shape for it. My family were more worried about my health than supportive but they know me type A once I made up my mind I didn't look back. I had my surgery the 19 and the worst was when my husband got me laughing I truly had tears of pain while laughing even more. Do it while you are young, enjoy your life without going down hill health wise. Worry minor, dream of success and go for it. I try to only be supportive on websites, I understand there always be questions and concerns as there should be but I decided with my eyes open and know I could loose the weight again but steroids would put it back on over and over again. Do it for you!! Best of health ahead.

Hi. You said you are out of breath? That's 1 very good reason right there! Imagine what it will be like doing all the things you want without having to struggle to breathe...something many people take for granted. What about sleep apnea? I'll bet you have that...have you been tested? So many people are never diagnosed for this but it is very common...especially for heavy people. And you can die from it! The lady who said she was 60 & wished she had done it earlier...God bless her for her honesty! If you want to live life to the fullest, live life with quality....then do it before you get sicker...before just getting off the couch makes you struggle for breath...or trying to put on your pants becomes a chore...or even...I am going to be frank here, wiping your bottom becomes difficult....your knees hurt...your hips give out....coz I assure you these things will happen & more, if you don't do something to help yourself now! Be smart & if you can't lose weight on your own, don't be afraid to get the help you need! But I don't really need to tell you this....what's the real reason you asked this question? Your Bmi is almost 60 so don't tell me that all you have is shortness of breath....you must have much more....but whatever...you can keep it to yourself if you want...we aren't here to judge you except the 1st thing you should do is be honest with yourself...like the lady who said she wrote her reasons down...I did the same....take care of yourself...too many of us put everyone else 1st & then find out we have forgotten about ourselves, only to one day realize how bad it has become for us...& some of the damage is irreversible....take care of yourself now as its only going to get worse

I'm 26 and I had my surgery at 235 pounds. I did it for many of the reasons you listed above, but above all I did it because I could very clearly see where I was heading. I hopefully have 50 plus years left to live, and it breaks my heart to think of myself spending them miserable and isolated from my friends and family because of my weight. There's no "wrong" reason to have the surgery when you are morbidly obese. There are reasons that you might not be prepared for surgery if you are not psychologically ready, if you have not done enough research on the realities of WLS, or if you aren't prepared for the hard work, but there's never a "wrong" reason for wanting to be a healthy, happy person!

Thanks for all the responses!

At my BMI, I know it's something I need to do. I'm pretty miserable in my body, despite relative health (Someone mentioned sleep Apnea. I have a sleep study soon!). I am breathless. I can't walk very far. But still, I can't get it out of my mind that I'm doing this for the wrong reasons.

I'm still at least 4 months from surgery.(Insurance makes me wait) I have time to figure it out but I know one thing for sure: I WILL be having surgery. I know well enough that my health is on the line.

But...cute outfits. Theme parks. Cute outfits AT theme parks. :P

I knew that with my history of yo-yo dieting that the rebound from the next diet would send me over 600 pounds.

Plus, I was disabled from weight-related issues and couldn't live a full and productive life.

For me, the decision was life or death.

Hi Pushpin,

It's refreshing to hear someone considering this surgery to improve their health. First of all, let me say I work with patients who are at various stages in their disease process, but one thing strikes me as a big lightbulb thought- we are all creating our health for the years to come, right now, minute by minute, choice by choice. You are young, and you are right to change directions right now. Prediabetes turns into type two diabetes, leading to a cascade of other health issues such as high blood pressure, risk of stroke, heart disease, orthopedic issues and a myriad of other comorbid complications

For me, my big wake up call came in sept of 2012. I was overweight, in a high stress job and I began to have chest pains which forced me to the Er where my blood pressure was 223/140. Immediately the dominoes began to fall, as I was diagnosed with high blood pressure , went on medications which didn't work, more Er visits, fatigue, unable to enjoy life. I felt like a prisoner in my body and I could see myself becoming literally disabled.

My cardiologist suggested I look into VSG and the rest is history. What I never expected was how much joy I feel at the little things. My whole life has changed in just the few months since surgery. My fatigue is gone. I wake up energized and ready to go. I sleep like a baby now. ( maybe because I'm exercising every day). I have dropped 3 dress sizes. I no longer fear having a heart attack because my blood pressure is normal.

So congratulations on your decision to change directions and put your health on project status. Whether you do it through surgery or a brand new eating plan, I wish you good health!!????