Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Thinking of changing surgeons

I'm 2 months away from meeting all my insurance requirements. I hate to change surgeons at this stage, but I've never been thrilled with her, at least her bedside manner and her office staff. On the other hand, she has impeccable reviews and credentials. Does it mean anything that she has done the surgery on well-known celebrities?

It's only after joining this forum and reading about others' experiences that I started leaning towards this decision. I'm jealous of the well-staffed offices I hear about. But today was the clinker, maybe. Here's an email to the general mailbox. I was never given any contact info other than the general number. What do you think about changing horses?

glenn

=======

Dear Staff,

Today was visit number three to Dr. K. It may very well be the last. I wasted my time and apparently hers. Apparently, she couldn’t wait to finish my 10-minute appointment as she inched closer to the exit after only several minutes. I was flabbergasted when she simply exited without saying goodbye and without finishing the conversation.

I get the impression she is totally uninterested in me, her patient. She didn’t remember a thing about past visits, didn’t bring my chart and as a result, did not have the results of the psych evaluation. Her response to my asking about it was something along the lines, “I get so many in, I can’t remember.” Jeez. The last two visits she sat stoically waiting for my questions and had virtually no input. Despite the laudatory reviews, I do not feel comfortable.

When asked about reading material, all she could come up with was her own book. Again, jeez.

In the last two visits, there was virtually no staff around to ask questions, i.e., insurance, etc. Today, there was no one else there.

It is a very difficult decision for me to make and it is a major decision. On the one hand she seems to be applauded by patients for her skills. I suppose that’s what I’m most interested in, not bedside manner or a well-run office. But on the other, how can I rationalize seeing someone who simply walks out without a word in the midst of an appointment.

Oh wow, she sounds terribly unprofessional & if I was you I would also be very seriously considering changing. While technical proficiency is obviously extremely important I do think emotional care/support is just as important .... I say tell her to hit the road & find someone else who makes you feel all warm & fuzzy

Before you change surgeons I would call your insurance company and ask about how difficult is it to switch mid way through the process. Also if they can recommend a surgeon so it will be someone who is familiar with your insurance process and hopefully will not delay the process much if at all. Good luck!

First off I would change the second "apparently". Take it out. Its used back to back. I'd change it to "She obviously couldn't wait to finish my 10-minute appt...etc."

second, id look into others before jumping the gun. Call the insurance also. Get all your medical files from them and the NUT to prove all your tests, etc. Take them with you to your new surgeon. She sounds like an ass and she just wants ur money.

@ glitterpockets well said.... To the poster ...having no staff there may have been why she was struck dumb for lack of a better word lol as a rule surgeons don't like doing clinical work they meet patients because they have to all other details are put on the nurse practitioners or PA's I've seen many Drs that don't know how to enter info into the computer system they have in their own offices they are interested in your money so is the hospital they work in they must produce money for that institution and are generally not warm and fuzzy u may have seen positive reviews from so called famous ppl as I'm sure the Drs and hospitals want those so as to entice more customers if u feel uncomfortable by all means look into moving on but as suggested get all your records first and find out what the outcome would be if u switched if there is a high turnover of staff in that office I'd be suspicious

Joan Rivers, rest in peace. Her doctor worked on celebrities all the time, and was still unprofessional and dangerous. I would see if the insurance company can recommend another Center of Excellence in your area.

So call insurance and find a new one. Have a first consult you lose nothing.

Then before you make the final change-- call her and discuss how you feel. May be a one off thing. Maybe she had staff quit. Or someone higher up doesn't support the practice. If this is always the way it was run then perhaps you should go.

Sometimes they have so many patients it becomes a cattle call. Do your homework before you switch.

I am so sorry this has been your experience.

From my perspective, it's more important that YOU feel comfortable, that YOU feel valued, and that YOU are happy with your surgeon and the practice than that OTHER people have had a good experience. Others may simply be giving reviews based on the same thing criteria for which you are staying - reputation.

As others have said, it is important to know about your insurance, and it is also important to communicate to your surgeon that you are not happy with your surgeon and the clinic. Unfortunately, not all clinics are created equally - I've been on both sides (I changed after one visit, however). Ultimately, you have to do what is right for you - and you have to be comfortable.

Good luck to you!

Thanks for the comments, definitely, uh, food for thought. A special thanks to glitterpockets for the writing lesson! Seriously, I was mortified when I reread my note to the doctor's office, though it was written somewhat hastily. As an aside, I take pride in my writing and have written a book. It ironically contains "gluttony" in the title. No relation to the subject at hand though.

But I digress. A couple of developments. The office manager, who is on maternity leave, reached out to me via email and offered to call today. Her email...

<<I have forwarded your concerns to Dr. K. She was surprised since she thought that she had answered all of your questions. We currently have a paperless system therefore she typically does not carry around any charts and reviews all information prior to her going into the exam room. Although there was no staff at that time, she did text me right away to call you tomorrow morning. I am currently out on maternity leave and therefore am not present in the office everyday.
We do want you to feel comfortable with the staff, more importantly with your surgeon. Dr. K typically spends as much time as needed with all of her patients and I apologize if you felt any other way. Please do let me know if I shoudl call you tomorrow to discuss this with you, I will gladly do so.
Again- we do want you to feel comfortable going into this process. We value you as a patient and would like to continue our relationship.
Hope to hear from you soon. Please keep my e-mail handy for any future concerns. I am always available.
Warmest Regards,>>
I won't comment on Dr. K's reaction as stated in the email except to say she's in another world. What bothered me more was that she didn't reach out to me directly.
I also accepted the manager's proposal to call. She never did. But then again, there could be extenuating circumstances.
Long story short. I had a 45 minute phone discussion with the nutritionist. She is friends with Dr. K and I met with her 2 or 3 times. She's been very helpful and straightforward and at times, critical of the way Dr. K runs her office. She believed everything I said and didn't try to sway me to stay with Dr. K. That's why I contacted her... I knew she would be honest. She went so far as to give me the name of another surgeon and offered to remain my nutritionist if I wanted. Dr. K is a scatterbrain and is not a good people person. She relies on her office manager to fill in a lot of gaps. However, the nutritionist confirmed some other things I've read about her. She's a genius and one of the top surgeons in NY.
So, it boils down to a choice between a top surgeon or perhaps someone with lesser skills but a more supportive office. It also requires a change, though that won't have much effect on insurance. Dr. K hasn't done anything medically for me to help me qualify. I see my GP for monthly weigh-ins and BP checks.
I've decided I will stay with Dr. K if the office manager eventually reaches out to me and shows me someone gives a hoot. I'm no dummy and I know I need a good support system, probably more so than the average Joe. I figure I can get that outside Dr. K's office. The nutritionist has promised to stay with me through thick and thin if I so want. Plus I am resourceful and with the help of this group, I am not overly concerned about getting the support I need.
I wanted to share this here for the reason that I have great respect for the collective wisdom of this group. Am I choosing the wrong path? Thank you all and God bless.

I honestly think it panned out extremely well and her email seemed sincere. I'd stay if all goes well and they can actually show that they DO care about your case.

I had a similar experience, although the surgeon was very friendly and pleasant, he is extremely busy and I could feel that during our brief visits, but I just felt a certain connection with him, so I stayed. The office staff, although pleasant also, could have been more supportive in my opinion. They are a center of excellence, and the surgeon has an excellent reputation, so I did not change. I attended other seminars and met with 1-2 other docs and did not feel like the fit was right for me. I think you have to go with someone yu just feel is right, and someone with a good reputation. If staying with her feels right, and it must or you would change, then go with her. Good luck, hope all goes well.

I'm in a very similar boat right now. Although, my surgeon has been fantastic, but the office staff have been a disaster.

I work in the healthcare industry too, so I know it can be challenging, but you got to have at least some "heart" and understanding. I mean, this surgeon is coming to be all up in you... literally. :)