Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My biggest fear right now

I have been on my supervised 6 months for a couple of months now and I have really done pretty well so far but I am beginning to worry. I have lost 20 lbs in the 1st month so I am working at it but its getting harder.

The problem is that I like a lot of variety in my food and everyday I have to rack my brain trying to think of things that I can eat for variety for Breakfast, lunch and dinner.

Since my nut wants me on low carb high Protein that lets me eat lots of meat and Protein but the problem is that I work 10 hours a day and its very hard to constantly go to the store for fresh foods. So variety is hard to have.

I am also not a Breakfast eater so that is a pain, I usually just find myself having a Protein shake.

I am beginning to realize that one of the reasons I am fat is that I like things that are quick and eazy (I'm lazy-at least I admit it) I like Cereal for breakfast and since I work away from home I use to grab quick food and at night my husband and I usually eat at different times so its difficult to cook good appealing meals for one all the time.

What it boils down to is I need some help with EASY ideas for variety for packed lunches and dinner. Also easy ideas for breakfast that don't involve cooking if possible.

Sorry I sound whiney this morning. Today is my day to feel sorry for myself :rolleyes: but I will get over it. BUT PLEASE HELP

Is a struggle and is a big life change and take it day by day there are so many recipes ideas in pinterest and online also your NUT can help you with that. Dont worry too much you are doing great you lost 20 pounds, is normal we all go through tough moments through out this journey there has been many times where I just wanted to give up. Good luck and we are here to help and support!!! :)

@@MIMISAN - what about cooking more on the weekends for dinners during the week? Salads are quick to eat and can be made a variety of ways. Some nights DH and I have Cereal. Other nights we go out. I eat leftovers for lunch for days. There are smarter choices that can be made going thru a drive thru and a lot have been posted here.

What about shakes for breakfast? I don't like eating actual food that early but I can do a shake. You can buy premade ones so there is no prep in the morning. What about yogurt? You can add different fruits to it everyday to mix it up. Hardboiled eggs are easy, so is tuna.< /p>

I've recently gotten in the habit of planning all my lunches and Snacks on Sunday or Monday for the entire work week. That way it's only one day of cooking. I make containers with yogurt and fruit for my morning snack, something for lunch (usually chicken and a veggie, or tuna), and bring a cheese stick for my afternoon snack. It does require some time to prep, but then you're only doing it one day. If you don't want to eat the same thing for lunch everyday you could freeze leftovers in serving size containers and then you can pick different ones each day.

Keep at it! You're doing great so far. :)

My dietician had me give up on the idea of variety. She says that most people who are at a healthy weight eat pretty much the same thing every day at least for breakfast and lunch. As she says, food is not entertainment. So what if I want variety? So what if I am bored? I need to get over myself and eat for health.

I have pretty much the same thing every day for breakfast: steak and spinach salad. I only vary the spices and dressing I use. Lunch is grilled chicken breast with some kind of green veggie and some light Salad Dressing. I use pre-grilled chicken breast from Trader Joe's and frozen veggies for lunch, I just defrost the amount I need. For breakfast, I do sautee the steak for a few seconds, but that's it -- fast and easy.

Your post describes me ....too lazy to cook anything that takes too long. Since I have been able to eat solids I have been eating lots of fat free refried Beans heated in the microwave with a sprinkling of low fat cheese and sometimes a small spoon of sour. Taco Bell has a pinto Beans and cheese side that is good for two meals! At work I've brought a pack of lean sliced turkey and baby swiss cheese and for a snack I make a meat and cheese roll. Since I like warm foods sometimes I microwave it a few minutes so it's not so cold. Individual servings of 2% cottage cheese is high in Protein. Yesterday I had tuna with low fat mayo and a chopped up hard boiled egg in it. Like I said cooking is not my forte. Last weekend I did actually make egg, spinach, green pepper, onion muffins as well as turkey meat loaf muffins. I have frozen some for later and have eaten some for Breakfast and lunch this week. Good luck with your WLS journey. The peeps on this site have offered some excellent ideas to help.

I also saw myself in this posting of yours. I am in my 3rd month of the 6th month supervised diet. Due to the disability I suffer from cooking during the work week is very difficult so I have done what others suggested. I cook all my meats on the weekend and weigh out my 4 oz portion and make them up into several individual bags and then put that one type of meat into a large gallon bag. I have at least 6 different variety of meats in my freezer right now. I have all kinds of pouch or canned tuna, chicken, ham and turkey, cheeses, and meats for lunch as well and make rollups minus the bread. For breakfast a shake or yogurt, cottage cheese or eggs in the microwave using the new eggstatic being advertised. For veg I have canned three bean salad, zucchini, beets, frozen butternut squash, peppers, onions, cauliflower and salad. I still have variety and don't have to cook much during the week at all. If I am still hungry at a meal I will have canned fruit as well.

Now a days there are lots of higher protein-lower carb frozen brand named foods for those time when you really do not want to cook. Every now and then I don't think it would hurt to have them, unless your Dr or NUT said to stay away from them for one reason or another. You must be doing something right to have lost 20 pounds in your first month. Try some of the suggestions everyone has provided you with and I am sure you will get through the 6 months. I believe we exchanged friend requests, so if you are one to chat on yahoo Im send me a request there and we can chat and help each other seeing as how we are going through the 6 month supervised diet at the same time and have about the same amount of weight to lose.

I make little egg muffins on Sunday's that are easy to reheat and take to eat in the car for Breakfast during the week, and they're delicious! Use a muffin tin and line the bottom with browned low-fat sausage, a little bit of low-fat cheese, and green onions (I suppose you could also put pico/tomatoes in too). Then beat a bunch of eggs, season with salt and pepper, and pour into the tins and bake at 350 for 15 minutes or something like that. Easy, portable, yummy, and carb-free!

A yummy lunch I've also discovered (even though it does require fresh food) is lettuce wraps! I usually just do some deli meat and low-fat cheese. You can also add some shredded cabbage or broccoli slaw if you want a little more crunch. Then just a little bit of low-fat vinaigrette dressing for flavor.

Bell pepper and cucumber slices with laughing cow cheese is also an easy and tasty snack.

I think definitely if you do some more prep on the weekends (cut up vegetables, make breakfast for the week, etc) it'll make your week easier. I think that you definitely can have variety that's still healthy, but it may just require a little bit more planning since it's more time consuming to make things fresh.