Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lost enough weight on pre op but worried cheating means liver won't have shrunk enough

Hi everyone my surgeon asked me to loose 5-10kg so around 11-22lb on my 3 week pre op. I've lost 6kg so far and can probably get in another one or two by surgery day by being 100 percent compliant. But I've cheated throughout. I have tried so hard but most days I eat at least one or two times off plan usually in the evening.

I'm 4.5 days away from surgery I will stick to the shakes and nothing else. I hope this combined with the weight loss might be enough to shrink it. I'm mostly self pay and I'm dreading waking up telling me I didn't shrink it enough n couldn't do the op. I can't sleep worrying about it.

I mentioned in our pre op appointment truthfully but light heartenly that I actually nearly cried looking at a doughnut I couldn't have at my in laws . And he said seriously oh that's very concerning.... like I should be over any desire for the food I got into this mess with already . So I don't feel I can share my struggles with him. And no I didn't eat a doughnut.

Do you thing it's too late for a surgeon to see any fat reduction in 4- 5 days?

You're going to be fine. Just hang tough for the next few days. My surgeon didn't even require a pre op diet. Said the shrinking was so minimul that it doesn't even matter really. That said, you still have a weight loss requirement that your doctor wants, so just try to suck it up for the next few days and stick with it. I know it's hard!

You're not going to be magically over the desire for food, even after the surgery. It's something that is going to be a constant struggle that takes time to break, if ever. The surgery will help, but like the saying goes, they operate on your stomach not your brain.

Good luck and keep us posted!

Yup ... suck it up time. ;)

Just get through this.

Then get through the next thing.

And then the next thing.

That's literally how this process works. One thing at a time.

I have confidence in you.

:)

I have the same worries about my pre-op diet/liver shrinkage. I've lost 12 lbs, but I also haven't been 100% faithful to my diet plan which consisted of shakes, Soup, and veggies. I don't feel awful that my only cheats have been salad dressing for the veggies, one baked sweet potato with butter, and scrambled eggs (which I justified to myself because I am allowed egg drop Soup on my plan) but that worry still exists in the back of my mind and I am sure that is perfectly normal.

I feel confident that we will all be just fine.

I have not had surgery yet, and I am very fortunate that my doctor does not require a liquid diet, only a change in diet - one I managed in the past (though doing it willingly and because I HAVE to are two different things).

That said - remember this isn't forever. You only have to do this for a few days. I would suggest setting yourself small goals. Make it through until noon without anything you're not suppose to have. Until four o'clock. Until 8 o'clock. Breaking up your times - then feel proud of yourself for every time frame you can make. You might even consider rewarding yourself! Put a dollar (or 5!) in a jar for every time frame you make it through for your new wardrobe you're going to need!

Since at night is when you're starting to graze/cheat (I have this same issue - I can be good all day, and then at night I lose motivation and want something to chew on!) - think of ways to combat that. Tape reminders up everywhere of what you're doing and why! On the fridge, cabinets, mirrors, etc., so you can NOT pretend it's not on your mind (I do it...I'll deliberately push it aside so I can eat something). Next, find something else to chew on that will give some satisfaction - ice (but don't over do it) - perhaps even get a mouth guard to chomp on. Whatever works! Another thing that works for me is...GO TO BED EARLY! If I go to bed and sleep... I forget I want to eat. So don't take any naps during the day, and get in the bed earlier at night.

Remember - this is only for a few days. Lose those last few pounds, take deep calming breaths to go to sleep, and before you know it, it will be surgery time. You WILL be able to do this, you can make it. Thousands of others here have - and you can be just as successful!!!

Good luck!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• KeeWee

It's been 10 long years! Here is my VSG weight loss surgiversary update..
      https://www.ae1bmerchme.com/post/10-year-surgiversary-update-for-2024 
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Aunty Mamo

Iʻm roughly 6 weeks post-op this morning and have begun to feel like a normal human, with a normal human body again. I started introducing solid foods and pill forms of medications/supplements a couple of weeks ago and it's really amazing to eat meals with my family again, despite the fact that my portions are so much smaller than theirs. 
      I live on the island of Oʻahu and spend a lot of time in the water- for exercise, for play,  and for spiritual & mental health. The day I had my month out appointment with my surgeon, I packed all my gear in my truck, anticipating his permission to get back in the ocean. The minute I walked out of that hospital I drove straight to the shore and got in that water. Hallelujah! My appointment was at 10 am. I didn't get home until after 5 pm. 
      I'm down 31 pounds since the day of surgery and 47 since my pre-op diet began, with that typical week long stall occurring at three weeks. I'm really starting to see some changes lately- some of my clothing is too big, some fits again. The most drastic changes I notice however are in my face. I've also noticed my endurance and flexibility increasing. I was really starting to be held up physically, and I'm so grateful that I'm seeing that turn around in such short order. 
      My general disposition lately is hopeful and motivated. The only thing that bugs me on a daily basis still is the way those supplements make my house smell. So stink! But I just bought a smell proof bag online that other people use to put their pot in. My house doesn't stink anymore. 

· 0 replies
    • BeanitoDiego

Oh yeah, something I wanted to rant about, a billing dispute that cropped up 3 months ago.
      Surgery was in August of 2023. A bill shows up for over $7,000 in January. WTF? I asks myself. I know that I jumped through all of the insurance hoops and verified this and triple checked that, as did the surgeon's office. All was set, and I paid all of the known costs before surgery.
      A looong story short, is that an assistant surgeon that was in the process of accepting money from my insurance company touched me while I was under anesthesia. That is what the bill was for. But hey, guess what? Some federal legislation was enacted last year to help patients out when they cannot consent to being touched by someone out of their insurance network. These types of bills fall under something called, "surprise billing," and you don't have to put up with it.
      https://www.cms.gov/nosurprises
      I had to make a lot of phone calls to both the surgeon's office and the insurance company and explain my rights and what the maximum out of pocket costs were that I could be liable for. Also had to remind them that it isn't my place to be taking care of all of this and that I was going to escalate things if they could not play nice with one another.
      Quick ending is that I don't have to pay that $7,000+. Advocate, advocate, advocate for yourself no matter how long it takes and learn more about this law if you are ever hit with a surprise bill.
      · 0 replies
    • BeanitoDiego

Some days I feel like an infiltrator... I'm participating in society as a "thin" person. They have no idea that I haven't always been one of them! 🤣
      · 0 replies
    • ChunkCat

Thank you everyone for your well wishes! I totally forgot I wrote an update here... I'm one week post op today. I gained 15 lbs in water weight overnight because they had to give me tons of fluids to bring my BP up after surgery! I stayed one night in the hospital. Everything has been fine except I seem to have picked up a bug while I was there and I've been running a low grade fever, coughing, and a sore throat. So I've been hydrating well and sleeping a ton. So far the Covid tests are negative.
      I haven't been able to advance my diet past purees. Everything I eat other than tofu makes me choke and feels like trying to swallow rocks. They warned me it would get worse before it gets better, so lets hope this is all normal. I have my follow up on Monday so we'll see. Living on shakes and soup again is not fun. I had enough of them the first time!! LOL 
      · 0 replies
  • Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches