Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Feeling Like a Failure Today..

Well, I'm at exactly one week liquid diet and realized that I have not been using enough Protein powder in my shakes. When the dietician was talking to me about Protein Shakes, she kept saying "put a scoop in some almond milk" and I obviously did what she said instead of reading the directions, so shame on me.

Something prompted me to read all of the ingredients today and basically one serving is 2 scoops. I missed that. Completely. And surprisingly enough, the shakes taste a lot better now that I've used the right servings for once. LOL

I really hope this isn't a sign of more failures to come. I feel really really stupid today for not noticing that before. Thankfully, surgery isn't until 9/2 so I have a few more weeks to redeem myself!

Has anyone else ever done this?

Edited by Nikikins

You should not feel stupid at all. Besides every Protein Powder is different and it can be difficult to keep track of it all. We are all learning to eat again. Your not going to be perfect but you know what good for you listening to your nutritionist. You clearly want to do well for yourself which is why you listened to what they said so intensely. I am sure I have made this mistake and I am sure I will make many more. Learning is half the battle. Keep up the good work!

@@funkecoldmedina Thanks girl! I really just felt so defeated when I looked at the serving size today.. I appreciate the support! Lesson learned going forward, that's for sure!

Don't be too hard on yourself, we are all human and we all make mistakes... You are ahead of the game on your eating plan and that is a success in itself!

Making healthy choices is nothing to feel defeated about! I know what you mean though. I was doing a practice liquid diet and one day I got so hungry that I caved and ate a salad. I have never felt so guilty eating a salad in my life!!!! I really had to take a step back and look at myself and I realized what the heck am I so upset about. I am still making really good choices for my body. This was not my official pre-op liquid diet so I have let it go and moved on.

Hi Nikki,

You should never get down on yourself for a stumble, now or down the road! This is all about learning how to live this new life. Nobody is totally perfect, especially at first. You will have lots to learn over the next several months and it's all going to feel new and weird and first but, you'll get it in no time! Don't ever beat up on yourself or call yourself a failure, your human, we make mistakes! In the future, if you don't feel comfortable with your nutritionists advice, the nurses typically know what the do's and dont's are. Also, this forum is a good place to brainstorm once your past your first few stages of post op eating. I had band before this for 3 years and it was STILL and huge change for me! When I mess up, I just think "well, that wasn't the best thing ever!" and keep right on going! This surgery is one of the hardest ones a person can have, your doing such a tremendous thing for yourself and your life, keep in mind how much strength that takes. Not everyone who is obese could do what your doing, your already strong, confident and awesome just for taking this step! Also, your part of a very exclusive club now, and you should feel super proud of that and all the hard work it took to get there! Remember that, and no more bad talk about you! Your going to rock this thing, its just a learning curve! NO more debbie downer talk..CONGRATS!

@@Tomlam Thanks for putting it that way. I really wasn't looking at it like that at all, so I appreciate your outlook! :)

@@funkecoldmedina I am glad you stopped beating yourself up about the salad! At least you made a GOOD choice! It could've been much, much worse. On the liquid diet I'm on, I have a list of about 20 vegetables that I can eat freely and all types of lettuce is one of them, so I am allowed to eat salads. I just have to use a low sodium or "light" dressing. I've just been using balsamic vinegar or 2 TBSP of light ranch. Otherwise, it's shakes, Soups, puddings, applesauces and cream of wheat! It's really not that bad. But you bring up a good point about letting it go and moving on...I will do just that!

@@armywife79 BEST PEP TALK EVER! Thank you so much for your kind words and reminder that I am stronger and braver than I think I am and mistakes aren't really mistakes, just opportunities to learn.

You guys truly are wonderful and I am so glad to have you all, and this site, as I continue on towards a healthier, happier me. :D

Edited by Nikikins

Well, I'm at exactly one week liquid diet and realized that I have not been using enough Protein powder in my shakes. When the dietician was talking to me about Protein Shakes, she kept saying "put a scoop in some almond milk" and I obviously did what she said instead of reading the directions, so shame on me.

Something prompted me to read all of the ingredients today and basically one serving is 2 scoops. I missed that. Completely. And surprisingly enough, the shakes taste a lot better now that I've used the right servings for once. LOL

I really hope this isn't a sign of more failures to come. I feel really really stupid today for not noticing that before. Thankfully, surgery isn't until 9/2 so I have a few more weeks to redeem myself!

First, nothing to feel bad about. Slips happen. Roll with it, learn from it, and move on to the next day. The worst thing you can do is beat yourself up over it. Guilt is a useless emotion.

Second, you may want to double-check with your NUT about the pre-op diet. My surgeon & NUT stressed the biggest factor by far in shrinking the liver is keeping carbs below 20g/day (and essentially Stage 1 of the Atkins diet). As such, they are having me mix my Protein shakes with Water instead of any sort of milk due to lack of carbs. And then, once I'm post-op, I'll start mixing protein shakes with 1% lactose free milk or unsweetened soy milk. But, all surgeon's/NUT's diets are different, so your mileage may vary. :)

You should not feel stupid! But you should remember the lesson you learned -- serving size is very important AND it's important to read labels. I don't think too many of us got into the situation we were in to begin with if we were careful about serving sizes. Mistakes happen to everyone, but not everyone learns from their mistakes!

Don't beat yourself up over it. This whole experience is new to all of us and there will definitely be some learning curves. It isn't really a failure, but more of a lesson learned.. At least if you had been struggling with hunger, you know why! haha :)

First, nothing to feel bad about. Slips happen. Roll with it, learn from it, and move on to the next day. The worst thing you can do is beat yourself up over it. Guilt is a useless emotion.

Second, you may want to double-check with your NUT about the pre-op diet. My surgeon & NUT stressed the biggest factor by far in shrinking the liver is keeping carbs below 20g/day (and essentially Stage 1 of the Atkins diet). As such, they are having me mix my Protein Shakes with Water instead of any sort of milk due to lack of carbs. And then, once I'm post-op, I'll start mixing Protein shakes with 1% lactose free milk or unsweetened soy milk. But, all surgeon's/NUT's diets are different, so your mileage may vary. :)

This is good to know, thanks for the advice! The almond milk I'm using is unsweetened and it's what is even listed in my Dietician booklet, so I would assume it's ok, but you still brought up a good point and I will reach out to her for sure. I want to be as successful as possible so I definitely appreciate the extra information!

I'm on a pre-diet diet, of sorts. We started two weeks earlier than normal in case the surgeon wanted any pre-surgery weight loss (and obviously to help shrink the liver), and the two weeks before my actual surgery it will be modified. I'm not sure if I'll have less restriction or more restriction, but either way this was a good lesson learned.

I want to thank everyone for their kind words, support and encouragement today! I really needed it. I was feeling incredibly defeated earlier but feel a lot better now. This whole process is a learning process and I need to just remember that and breathe!

Today is the end of my week one liquid diet and I'm doing the same

stuff.

For myself, I think it's a change in mindset that I haven't conquered. I'm used to choosing to be in complete denial about serving sizes and the nutritional information of the food I'm eating. So having to look at labels and check that every little thing meets the guidelines is a BIG adjustment to me.

I've made a couple mistakes so far but I'm trying to make this adjustment as best I can.

@ don't be so hard on yourself sweetie! I've done that with my Protein Shakes too! I think I went on for about a YEAR before I actually noticed it said 2 scoops! I had one brand that was just 1 scoop so I just ASSumed that all of them were the same basically. Don't beat yourself up over it. It's a small tiny mistake and you've corrected it and undoubtably feel a lot better now that you have! :)

@, have you thought about using a ready-to-drink Protein shake, so that you don't have to worry about making them? I recommend the Premier Protein shakes that are available at costco and Sam's Club (Walmart, too, but they're more expensive). They're actually pretty decent, for Protein. (Of course, I say that as someone that can't stand artificial sweeteners and hates the taste of almost all protein powders.) They're 30g protein per shake, with 160 calories and 4-5g total carbs (1-2g sugars) depending on flavor. My nutritionist makes me get a minimum of 80g protein every day, so I usually have two shakes and then get the rest of the protein from other sources. With the chocolate ones, I sometimes add extracts or baking flavors (not the nasty sugar free syrups) to give me a change. I really like the chocolate with almond extract or coconut flavor added, and I'm trying to find some fruit extracts of flavors online to add to the vanilla.