Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Marijuana Use After Surgery

I was never told to stop smoking. I'm like 6 weeks post-op & no problems.

"Diet and exercise is the ONLY way to lose weight, if you're big it's your own fault. PERIOD."

It IS our fault. Sorry, but NO ONE put a gun to our heads to eat. No one tied us down and force fed us. We did it to ourselves. We can rationalize that we have bad karma or whatever, but yes, diet and exercise ARE the only way to lose weight, unless you carve it off with a knife. There is NO other option. Diet and exercise is what you do on the band. You just have the "tool" as help. But all the physical principles stand....you gotta close your mouth to lose weight and you gotta move.

Why would you even post something like that? This is a thread regarding marijuana use, not to belittle people.

Katiebug, that's rich you getting so high and mighty...hmm, an 18 year old kid who takes care of children for a living and is a habitual pot smoker. Yeah, keep up the good work and make those kids' parents proud!

I have read this message board since it started. Since I don't smoke pot- I really didn't have anything to comment about. I do have to say this- I think that this forum is a great place for people to be open and ask honest questions they might be afraid or embarrassed to ask in person . I am disappointed to see some members attacking other members because of the age of the poster or the life choices they make.

I think it was very great that someone started this thread. I have more respect for an 18 year old who speaks honestly about smoking pot than the people who are judging them.

I like to enjoy an occassional drink or two. Maybe at 27 years old, I could find better ways to spend my time- but that's the choice that I make. It's the same with the people who smoke pot and post here. It is the choice they make.

Gee, at 33 years old you think you'd have better things to do.

The same could be said for someone who is 35 minding their own business.

I say to each their own. As long as it is recreational and doesn't interfere with day to day life. Have at it!:thumbup:

Ive never been a pot-smoker because its kind of a downer...but I know one girl who smoked pot forever, and still does, and graduated valedictorian and is on the dean's list...shes really a pothead...but it helps her concentrate to get things done and really focus on what shes doing...now Ive seen some idiots who do it too...but Ive seen some freakin geniuses. Like a professor of mine, he was BRILLIANT! and smoked TONS of pot lol!

I never smoked before surgery, I HATE the smell of it, it makes me literally sick and nauseated....but I dont knock anyone who does it, and keeps their life in order. I definately wouldnt do it after surgery because of the terrible munchies that take over...Im a calorie counter and just couldnt bare to give in to something like that...but hey if you can handle it, its cool

"Diet and exercise is the ONLY way to lose weight, if you're big it's your own fault. PERIOD."

It IS our fault. Sorry, but NO ONE put a gun to our heads to eat. No one tied us down and force fed us. We did it to ourselves. We can rationalize that we have bad karma or whatever, but yes, diet and exercise ARE the only way to lose weight, unless you carve it off with a knife. There is NO other option. Diet and exercise is what you do on the band. You just have the "tool" as help. But all the physical principles stand....you gotta close your mouth to lose weight and you gotta move.

I do agree with this to a certain extent...although Im not sure what it has to do with this thread...However, I know that some people have a harder time losing weight than others. I know that I have always been overweight...I was born bigger than usual, and was always overweight from there on out. Im not big boned either. My metabolism just REALLY sucks rear-end. I know that when I am filled and Im actually watching what I eat, I have to take in less then 1000 cals a day to do any good. Before the surgery, I tried everything...I went on a healthy diet and exercise program for a year, I worked out EVERY day at the gym for about 3 hours, doing mostly cardio, and ate a balanced diet and never lost a single pound...I didnt gain either....I just got a little healthier all-around. I remember doing weight watchers and following the points and not losing anything after the first 2 weeks, so I started taking in less points to lose weight and they jumped on me...I do agree though that for MOST people diet and exercise does work...however, if its so damn easy...why are we all here with zip-ties around our stomachs??

Katiebug, that's rich you getting so high and mighty...hmm, an 18 year old kid who takes care of children for a living and is a habitual pot smoker. Yeah, keep up the good work and make those kids' parents proud!

& look at you, picking fights with "an 18 year old kid". That's cute.

I just wanted to remind you all that most of your restaurant staffs are stoned out of their minds when they work...and I bet you dont get screwed up food as often as you think you would...Ive worked in several restaurants, where as it was annoying to me being a sober person at work (my drug of choice was always alcohol, which I stopped when I got preggers) to deal with because they would bug the crap out of me, they actually did better waiting tables and getting stuff done when they were stoned...Ive never worked at a restaurant or known many people who do work at restaurants that arent on SOMETHING...but most times its just pot to be able to handle the disgruntled customers who walk in with a bad attitude. I know that the people who smoked always made more money than those who didnt....strange huh? Its because they are friendlier to the customers and more easygoing and relaxed

Who are you to pass judgement on what other people do on their downtime? She never said she was smoking pot while she was taking care of children. It seems to me that YOU are the one acting all high and mighty. It is possible to keep your professional life and personal life SEPARATE.

i personally think pot is a lot less dangerous than alcohol. i know that the reason docs dont want people smoking cigs before AND after surg is that A) it increases the chance of complications under general anesthesia and :) it inhibits wound healing.

Katiebug I wish I were 18 again with that fabulous elastin rich skin, good luck to you!!!

These are SUPPORT boards... Sometimes people are looking for a little kick-in-the-pants and a reality check when they are falling off their eating plans... but they pretty much say so in their posts.

This is NOT one of those times. The original post asked a question that the poster was entitled to ask. Those that partake of the greenery posted their responses. If you don't smoke or are against it... start a thread about that... but don't get all high and mighty in this thread.

BTW, I don't smoke pot... but it's none of my business to cast judgement on those who responsibly do. Just like it's not any of my business to cast judgement on overweight mothers or fathers who are too fat to be able to play with their children on the playground. I wouldn't cast judgement.. because if I had kids, I'd be one of them. That's why we fatties are here... to get support and lend support so fat can longer keep us from enjoying our lives to the fullest.

For you herb lovers here... please enjoy responsibly and don't let the munchies screw you up with the band. If so, come here and b*tch about pot giving you the munchies and THEN all the anti-pot-smokers can justifiably kick-you-in-the-pants! :)

These are SUPPORT boards... Sometimes people are looking for a little kick-in-the-pants and a reality check when they are falling off their eating plans... but they pretty much say so in their posts.

This is NOT one of those times. The original post asked a question that the poster was entitled to ask. Those that partake of the greenery posted their responses. If you don't smoke or are against it... start a thread about that... but don't get all high and mighty in this thread.

BTW, I don't smoke pot... but it's none of my business to cast judgement on those who responsibly do. Just like it's not any of my business to cast judgement on overweight mothers or fathers who are too fat to be able to play with their children on the playground. I wouldn't cast judgement.. because if I had kids, I'd be one of them. That's why we fatties are here... to get support and lend support so fat can longer keep us from enjoying our lives to the fullest.

For you herb lovers here... please enjoy responsibly and don't let the munchies screw you up with the band. If so, come here and b*tch about pot giving you the munchies and THEN all the anti-pot-smokers can justifiably kick-you-in-the-pants! :)

I completely agree. I don't smoke anymore, because it interferes with my weightloss. If I could, I would. A couple of years ago, someone started a thread like this and was chased away by several posters who felt the need to pass judgement on their decision to smoke. This is a support board. By passing judgement on the OP choice, they did not lend support, but rather put them down for their choice. I say, if you can do this and remain functional and still lose weight, than more power to you. Alcohol and prescription drugs are just as bad, if they are abused...

& look at you, picking fights with "an 18 year old kid". That's cute.

I wouldn't worry about The Bandit. They have made one post on the site and used it to bash somebody. Anyone else smell a TROLL?

I wouldn't worry about The Bandit. They have made one post on the site and used it to bash somebody. Anyone else smell a TROLL?

I agree. But for some reason, I think it is someone who regularly visits this site, but does not have the guts to post this using their regular profile...