Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My surgery is on Friday!

Hello everyone! I am currently doing my liquid diet ( it's so hard!) And have surgery on Friday August 7th. I have some concerns because I am an athelete. I do jiu-jitsu and boxing and I'm worried that such low caloric intake will reduce my energy levels drastically and my muscles. I'm concerned I won't be strong. I currently weigh 200lbs. And the reason I am doing this is because even though I am always working out and have been for about 4 years now, I still have the hardest time losing weight. If I do happen to lose a couple of pounds I can't keep them off. And my weight has gotten in the way of my sports. For example I can't compete in boxing because there aren't very many girls out there in the same weight category. Same goes for jiu-jitsu. If I lose about 45 lbs I will be able to do all those things. And we'll thats not the only reason. I 22 and being overweight feels like a burden, it's harder to socialize with people, make friends, date, and I always feel self-conscious.

I guess I'm posting cause I need some support and have doubts!

Hi Alpha, you will probably be tired for a month or so after surgery but then your energy will come back. I'm 10 months out and training for a marathon. Last Saturday I ran for more than 2 hours. I have had to make some changes in order to stay hydrated and keep my blood sugar at a decent level during these long runs but overall, it's not been as hard as I thought. I actually have tons more energy than before surgery. I hope this helps address your concerns.

Hello. I am nearly a week out and can say that, yes, you will have a lot less energy for your sports in the first month. You will be fatigued a lot because of the low caloric intake. Muscle mass should be supplemented by the Protein Shakes you take, though.

Your energy level will definitely be lower at first but you should recover pretty rapidly since you are already more active. The Protein goals will feed that muscle and you shouldn't lose much. Get up and moving about asap and you will do great!! Good luck!

Thank you everyone! That does make me feel a lot better