Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

things i wish they would have told me...

I about froze to death in the hospital, too but they didn't have any problem bringing me extra blankets. I did use a heating pad on my shoulder that also helped keep me warm. I bought a new heating pad pre-op but forgot to bring it with me so my sister bought me one from a nearby pharmacy.

I had a lot of pain and cramping in upper abdomen 1st 2 days. I couldn't walk much due to exhaustion and dizziness and it was a very hard time for me. I had to pee all the time every 2 hrs.just doing that took every ounce I had. I couldn't keep my eyes open.pain was an issue in hospital but once I went home I haven't used any pain meds. My emotions are all over the place. I avoid stuff except comedy. Its been an emotional rollercoaster like never in my life. Like I have no control over it. I can't seem to make my liquid quota and tomorrow will be 1 wk since I've been sleeved. If I don't get enough Protein in I'm exhausted. I need help and I'm still dizzy. People react differently. I guess surgery was quite a shock to my body. I'm only 47 and was in pretty good shape at 240 and 5ft 6". I feel better every day but I had bloated feeling a few days ago and couldn't drink for 12 hrs...so I started with clear liquid the next morning as I thought it was choc protein shake....by early afternoon it was like I regressed and found out I need my protein throughout the day. I couldn't stand on my own. So, everything is different And we all hope things will go smoothly. But sometimes you don't know what's going to happen.surgery and no food for a week has shocked my body in ways I never knew. I've had other surgeries and have had 2 children. This has been the toughest thing for me. Ever. I will be so happy when I feel normal and healthy again.

You really can't walk enough. I had very few complications, but I walked all the time. When I was nauseous I walked, gas, walked, hungry, walked. It seemed to take care of most of the complications.

The incisions were painful about day 4. I am guessing the pain block wore off. Sitting up in bed is not fun, but give it about 4-5 days and it will be gone.

Good luck.

I had my gastric sleeve on 9/25/2014 and I have lost 91 pounds and counting, only 12 more to go to reach my goal. It is VERY IMPORTANT to follow your physicians plan of care. DO NOT be a couch potato, get up and walk as soon as you can. All surgery has pain, you will feel bloated from the CO2 uses to inflate your abdomen during surgery. If you do not walk and expel the gas, it will settle in your shoulders. (not fun), I thought I was walking enough, but 5 days post op it hit my right shoulder, it was painful, but doable. Incisional pain for me, was little to none. I set my timer on my phone to drink fluids (including my protein), even though I didn't want to consume any beverages. Looking back the gastric sleeve was the best thing I have ever done for myself. Good luck. Do not be anxious about the "pain". Tell yourself it will be the worst pain of your life, and when it isn't you will be relieved.

Melanie

Before my surgery I read some horror stories on this forum about pain, discomfort, nausea, ect. so I was a little worried about what issues I would face... Maybe I was just one of the lucky ones, but I have had no issues what so ever. I returned to work two days after surgery, and have not slowed down for even a minute. The Dr. told me not to rope, or ride horses for 6 weeks after surgery, I waited two and a half weeks just for good measure, and started roping again with no issues what so ever. I honestly do not feel as if I ever had surgery.(until I try to eat food, then I realize I can only eat a few bites and I am full) From what I understand a big part of the nausea, and pain comes from how well your Surgeon stitches your stomach back up. if there is any bruising or swelling in the stomach that is what causes nausea, pain and the ability to not be able to keep down even Water. I would recommend this surgery to anyone who may be struggling with weight issues.

who was your surgeon if you don't mind sharing?

I am 4 days out now and gas pain has been the biggest unexpected issue. I expected to have less energy and trouble bending due to incisions, which I do. I did not expect gas pains in my back and shoulders! I am trying to take others' advise and walk around as this does seem to help. The challenge for me is that I have chronic knee pain (injured it several times) and can't take ibuprofen, which is the only medicine that manages the pain. Even the hydrocodone prescribed by the surgeon is not touching that pain!

I also did not expect to sometimes have difficulty drinking every 20 minutes or finishing my Protein shakes. I found a brand that I really like (Unjury), but I struggle to get down my favorite flavor (vanilla). I have no problems with swallowing, I just don't want to drink anything at a certain point other than Water.

Also, make some Protein rich, sugar free Jello. You can use Unjury's unflavored powder and your fave sugar free Jello. It is helping me to get my protein in.

How's all the post ops doing? Pre-ops, I genuinely believe in putting out good vibes and thoughts. Be positive on your decision and that your experience will be awesome. I had so many negative thoughts with my gallbladder(1st surgery, ever) as well as my wisdom teeth extraction(1st time to be put asleep).. Guess what, both times I had severely negative experiences. This go around, not so much. I put it out there that I would not be in pain, I would walk hourly, and I would breeze through recovery and.. I did. :)

Edited by MissersK

No pain at all...just feel kinda yucky and woozy....have only taken 2 Tylenol for a sore neck....was sleeved 5 days ago...

No pain at all...just feel kinda yucky and woozy....have only taken 2 Tylenol for a sore neck....was sleeved 5 days ago...

That's aweseome! Almost as awesome as your name :)