Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

1) I see a lot of people talk about not having an appetite for foods they previously enjoyed or not being able to swallow certain foods.

Why is this? My naive thought process is that your stomach had a procedure but your taste buds didn't and why would something that happened to the stomach impact your ability to swallow certain foods?

2) I see people talk about not losing much weight or immediately having hunger again.

Why is this? Is there a percentage of people that a smaller stomach doesn't work for? How can you not lose weight with a significantly smaller stomach {aside from poor food or liquid choices}. I know we all have different metabolism and our bodies process foods differently - I don't necessarily believe in the whole "calories in, calories out" thing but ... seriously, how can your body not lose if your stomach is like 80% smaller and you follow the food/liquid rules?

I don't ask to sound rude to those that struggle - I ask because I don't want to be in that percentage. What is the percentage of people this just doesn't work for?

3) Has anyone had the inverted gastric sleeve surgery? I see there are a couple surgeons, that i've come across, that add an extra step to the surgery {of course they each call it something different and put their name on it as being a pioneer ha}. One of course being that of Dr. David Kim in TX. After stapling the stomach line, they invert that line and then sew up. Adding a double layer protection from leaks, and making stretching more difficult to do. THIS sounds like a great addition to the surgery. Anything that reduces further any complications post surgery and makes it more difficult to 'beat' the size sounds good.

Thoughts, opinions on this?

After the first 6 months there really wasn't anything I couldn't tolerate. Rice was probably the last hold out. but I'm fine with it now. After the first couple of months I ate bread in small quantities, Pasta, desert, whatever I wanted really, just only a little bit. I do tend to stick to the separate food and liquid rules. I'm just more comfortable when I do. For me hunger returned at about 5 months, but the pull was not the same. Many mistake acid for hunger early on. I took 40mg of omeprazole 2x day from the beginning and never had that problem. I still like (and eat) everything I liked before. I just can't binge anymore.

Today, my lifestyle is different, but maintenance is very doable. I start my day with a 45 minute bike ride, some strength training and Protein latte. The rest of the day I eat what I like in small quantities, typically Protein first. I have a drink with my friends a couple times per week. I record weight weekly and if my weight creeps up I log food and give up most treats\alcohol until it comes back down. I live withing the same 5 pound zone most of the time. This feels very "normal" now.

I don't know anything about sleeve inversion. Did fine with my standard sleeve with hernia repair. It'll be 2 years in October. Feeling great!

For some the feeling of hunger does come back but for many it doesn't. For me I have not felt hungry yet.

It is possible to regain by either stretching of the sleeve or by grazing or eating small meals throughout the day thereby consuming more calories and making bad decisions. It happens.

1) I see a lot of people talk about not having an appetite for foods they previously enjoyed or not being able to swallow certain foods.

Why is this? My naive thought process is that your stomach had a procedure but your taste buds didn't and why would something that happened to the stomach impact your ability to swallow certain foods?

I don't think anyone really knows why our tastes change. My best guess would be it has to do with elimination of a source of hunger hormone, plus gut bacteria get re-set through surgery. It is real though! As for swallowing, I actually haven't heard about people not being able to swallow something. If the taste or texture feels off, many people will choose not to swallow food after surgery. If it isn't soft enough, well-chewed, etc., it may come right back up after you swallow it. That's about all I know that would shed any light on that.

2) I see people talk about not losing much weight or immediately having hunger again.

Why is this? Is there a percentage of people that a smaller stomach doesn't work for? How can you not lose weight with a significantly smaller stomach {aside from poor food or liquid choices}. I know we all have different metabolism and our bodies process foods differently - I don't necessarily believe in the whole "calories in, calories out" thing but ... seriously, how can your body not lose if your stomach is like 80% smaller and you follow the food/liquid rules?

There are different phenomena that are possible here, and I am not sure which you are talking about. Some people experience stalls in weight loss, even early on (the three week stall for example), even though they are doing everything right. I'm not sure anyone knows for sure why that stall or any other stall happens -- glycogen depletion and replacement, hormonal changes, lots of things could be at work. Then there are people who lose a lot of weight and then either stop losing, or start re-gaining. Typically that's because of poor food choices: grazing all day, eating high-calorie, low-density slider foods, refusing to weigh/measure their portions and track calories and Protein, things like that.

What is the percentage of people this just doesn't work for? Depends on your definition of "work for," as well as on your own surgeon. You would want to discuss rates of maintained excess weight loss for your specific surgeon with him or her.

That whole "inverted gastric sleeve" sounds like a fancy name for over-sewing the staple line, which I think a lot of surgeons do.

I do have issues with feeling hungry. I am usually hungry 2 to 3 hrs after I have eaten. Someone on a previous post said its just acid. I am on Prilosec too. It sure feels like hunger to me.

Hi! Dr Kim did my inverted sleeve a little over 3 years ago. 90 lbs down and keeping it off! Living life again thanks to Dr Kim! I highly recommend him due to his 0% leakage inverted sleeve. His office staff is amazing as well.

Hunger does come back. Being 3 years out I don't remember when that happened. I still get full quickly though. The sleeve is a tool to help you loose weight. You will loose the most your first year if you stick with the eating plan. Don't start adding bad high carb foods and drinks back in or you will stall yourself out and cause weight loss to slow down significantly.

I'm very happy with my weight loss. I'm still working towards loosing another 30-40. Being this far out its a little harder. I can still eat small proportions but more than I could my first year out. I keep a eye on the scale daily. I know some people don't agree with that but I do not want to go back, so its accountability for me.

Kim Bariatric Institute offers the whole package. From the moment you walk through the door to the rest of your life they are there for you during your journey. To get to surgery there is a process and its a good one. The after surgery support is amazing! They offer monthly support groups and free fitness events. The private patient only Facebook support group is very informative, supportive and encouraging. We have monthly 5k/10ks, Breakfast and dinner get togethers, and fun events as well. KBI is not about the money and getting you through the process and see ya at your next appointment, its about helping you and being supportive of you for the rest of your life to be successful!

Good luck to your journey!

1) used to like eggs and water...don't have the same taste doc told me that could happen with certain people but they don't know why- they just told me to keep trying them

2) sometimes I feel like my stomach rumbles but I'm not hungry - usually when I wake up so a few sips of my Protein Shake and my stomach feels better ( I'm 6weeks postoperative

3) I just had the regular sleeve

Dr Kim did my inverted sleeve October 2014. I have had no problems with new stomach and do love the reassurance of extra layer of protection from leaks and stretching. I failed at so many things before surgery, so going into this I told myself I would not fail at this and I would follow their plan diligently. As weight started coming off I was able to increase my exercise activity. I never ran before surgery (except when being chased by crazy clowns LOL). Now I am running in 5k races and attending bootcamp classes. All thanks to this wonderful clinic. I feel very blessed to have chosen KBI to have access to so much aftercare support and tools. They want you to succeed and not many surgeons help you along after the surgery. This practice does. Good luck in your journey, I highly recommend you consult with KBI before making your choice.

I used to eat ice cream by the half gallon. Now it just tastes awful. In fact, sweet stuff tastes icky now. It's overly sweet and cloying. And I used to eat multiple candy bars daily or some form of candy all the time.

I used to eat potato chips by the pound bag. Now they taste awful to me too. I can't tell you why - they just do.

And I've eaten more vegetables in the past 8 weeks than I've eaten in the past 8 years. They taste really good now.

I weigh and measure everything and track on My Fitness Pal to make sure I stay within my calorie and Protein goals.

I don't believe in the whole calories in/calories out thing. If I'm only eating around 1100 calories a day and I should be eating closer to 1900 at my weight then the weight should be falling off if it's only CICO. But it isn't falling off that fast.

I had the inverted sleeve by Dr Kim on 11/4/14. I'm down 113 pounds!

post-50827-0-39865100-1438753889_thumb.jpg

I am in midst of deciding Inverted Gastric Sleeve (Dr David Kims Bariatric) or another option. Did you get the surgery done? Any opinions or if you used someone else?

On 7/27/2015 at 8:11 AM, BinIA said:

I don't ask to sound rude to those that struggle - I ask because I don't want to be in that percentage. What is the percentage of people this just doesn't work for?

3) Has anyone had the inverted gastric sleeve surgery? I see there are a couple surgeons, that i've come across, that add an extra step to the surgery {of course they each call it something different and put their name on it as being a pioneer ha}. One of course being that of Dr. David Kim in TX. After stapling the stomach line, they invert that line and then sew up. Adding a double layer protection from leaks, and making stretching more difficult to do. THIS sounds like a great addition to the surgery. Anything that reduces further any complications post surgery and makes it more difficult to 'beat' the size sounds good.

Thoughts, opinions on this?

(1) your taste for foods may change a bit. For me its in a good way. I prefer healthier foods. Junk makes me feel crappy. I enjoy trying new things and cooking again. I can swallow and tolerate any foods just like before surgery. I just eat slower.

(2) Most of the post are honest that that this takes work and dedication. people struggle and overcome. If we have a gain ...we get back on our program. It does not matter how much or how fast your weight comes off. Its the fact it's coming off. The goal is healthy. (my weight loss was fast.)

Restriction alone does not get the weight off. If you eat unhealthy and small meals all day long (grazing) you will gain weight. Some gain may be due to medical issues or complications.

Head hunger and real hunger will be there. It's not the same as pre surgery ..Its manageable. It's rare that I see anyone that has no hunger for life.

Sticking to your dr and dieticians instructions. Log your food, hit your Protein and calorie goals hydrate and exercise. Will get you to your weightloss goals.

(3) Many debates on if sleeve surgery actually stretches...So I'm not going to comment.

Hi there! I had the inverted gastric sleeve by Dr. Kim almost 4 years ago, and have had NO regrets! It has been the most loving, selfless thing I have ever done for myself. In these 4 years, I have only had a 20 lb regain....I accept responsibility for that, and know that I still have the tool! I would do it again 100 times over.... good luck to you, and i hope you make the best decision for yourself. Here is a pic of my before/after, having lost 132 lbs!

2017-09-13_23.03.22.jpg