Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

After surgery help?

Hey guys! Wondering how much help will I need after surgery. I was thinking maybe a day or two but what were your experiences? What did you need the most help with?

I didn't need any help. I made sure that tasks involving heavy lifting (changing kitty litter, yard work) were done prior to surgery and everything was fine.

I'm arranging for help the first week, just in case. I'm also having someone take care of my dogs outside my house. I'd rather have it in place and not need it then the other way around. I figure I can always cut back on help days and bring my dogs home if I feel up to it later.

Hubby and I boarded the dogs so when he went back to work I didn't have to deal with them. I had surgery on Friday and he went back to work on Monday. I didn't need any help really but if I dropped something I wasn't supposed to bend over. I did fine on my own.

@@Nikki Monroe

Hi Nikki, I didn't need any help. I too preplanned as others. I had surgery on Wednesday and went back to work (desk job) on Monday.

I needed a lot of help. I wasn't expecting it, and I'm so grateful I am staying with my mother. I couldn't sit on the couch without needing help getting up and down or awhile. On day 3, I slid onto the floor and the fire department had to come get me back up (my mom was tiny and I was in too much pain to do much because I tore some internal stitches). I even ended up having to trade beds with my mother because hers was higher with a headboard to help me! For a week, I could only sit on a high hard chair if I was by myself because I didn't know if I could get back up.

I seem to be NOT the norm, but hey, at least prepare to have someone assist you just in case you turn into a big sissy after surgery like I did :P

@@BarrySue Wow, that must have been frightening for both you and your mother!

You story makes me extra glad I've arranged for after surgery help!

I needed help the first few days while I was in the hospital, but by the time I got home on day 3 3, I was okay by myself while my husband was at work. He had to help with laundry, feeding the dogs, and basically anything involving bending over or heavy lifting.

Hey Nikki Monroe when is your surgery are u getting the sleeve to

Not sure when sleeve surgery is. Probably sometime in September. I'm waiting on insurance approvals first then a surgery date after that.

@@Nikki Monroe

Hi Nikki, I didn't need any help. I too preplanned as others. I had surgery on Wednesday and went back to work (desk job) on Monday.

WOW! How was that? I understand that you are physically exhausted afterwards. My surgeon is recommending 2 weeks.

@@Nikki Monroe

Hi Nikki,

First I will say, always listen to your surgeon and their team as they know what's best for you. But since you asked, this is how I did it:

Going to my WLS meetings prior to surgery, they emphasized getting into some kind of exercise routine. One of the requirements from my surgeon's office was meeting with a physical therapist to evaluate your physical capabilities as to what exercise you "could" handle. The therapist was awesome, pointing out a few limitations that I had, but more importantly, showing me what I was really capable of doing, but I had never really tried. She went over many forms of exercise and programs that were out there for me to engage in and her point finally penetrated when I heard, your surgery will be easier on you if you work on your core, as any exercise is better than nothing.

In my community I had a few options, one being a gym that I was just too self conscious to even walk through the door. And the other being Jazzercise. I joined Jazzercise 3 months prior to surgery and started going twice a week. Because of my weight and weight related physical limitations I found it hard to keep up at first, but I kept showing up, even if I just marched my way through the class, doing what I could. After about a month I noticed that I felt stronger, I started going 3 - 4 times a week. As I learned the moves I could do them better, therefore getting more out of the workout, and as crazy as it sounds I was enjoying it.

By the time it was 2 weeks prior to my surgery, exercising 3 - 4 times a week, I still had not lost one pound. But I could feel my core was getting stronger. I started my pre-op UGH diet and ramped up to 5 times a week. Yes, I had to make myself go because I was very tired, but I felt better afterward. (LOL, I didn't want to admit it, but I did feel better)

Fast forward to the day of surgery I had lost 16 lbs, my core was as strong as heck and I was so ready for this life altering event. I was up walking the evening after my surgery. By day two, I walked 2.5 miles around the surgical unit and got 50 ounces of Fluid in. Day 3 I walked even farther, drank even more and was sent home, I think they were getting dizzy from all my laps.

At my age and weight, I felt I was running out of options to a healthier me. I went to all my surgeons seminars and meetings, read everything they gave me, followed their orders. I researched and read everything I could get my hands on and I simply did the best I could.

I hope this helps.

I had my surgery on a Thursday and went home the next day. My husband stayed home that Friday and over the weekend, and I was grateful for that! I didn't need his help getting around, but we have 2 energetic boys (ages 4 & 6), and I was in no shape to take care of them. I slept a lot due to the pain meds. By the Monday after my surgery I was just taking Tylenol and feeling more like myself, but the kids still went to daycare during the daytime so I could rest/take it easy.