Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Health Care is not as bad as some may think

Do you think that universal health care in Cuba is a barometer by which to judge all universal health care systems?

I wasn't "thinking" anything...I just didn't understand your response to this statement and couldn't figure out what the question was. So I take it that you felt that Cuba was the standard being used to judge universal health care and you didn't think that was right. Ok. Got it.

P.S. I am basically staying out of this discussion because I don't know how I feel about universal health care. I have an HMO that I am very happy with. I have excellent doctors, and have never been refused treatment for anything. On the other hand, I am sad for anyone who does not have my good experiences, and would be happy to see all people have health care. But I do know that the statistics used by Derrick earlier I also saw, in my paper and online, about the number of people on the "uninsured" list that are there only because they have chosen to not have it. Some were young and didn't feel they needed it, and some were so wealthy they felt they could pay for their treatment if and when they needed it. I have searched online and in my paper and can't find out who or what did the study, so for now I have to just reiterate that I read it but can't substantiate it.

Also, I am in the health care field and have seen the phenomenal amount of waste and fraud in Medicare and other health programs. The thought of another new bureaucracy makes me shudder and wonder how we could possibly afford it without making huge increases in our tax system. So I am conflicted....

But I do know that the statistics used by Derrick earlier I also saw, in my paper and online, about the number of people on the "uninsured" list that are there only because they have chosen to not have it. Some were young and didn't feel they needed it, and some were so wealthy they felt they could pay for their treatment if and when they needed it. I have searched online and in my paper and can't find out who or what did the study, so for now I have to just reiterate that I read it but can't substantiate it.

I would very much like to see some research on this information. Somehow I find it hard to believe that so many people would "choose" to not have health insurance, particularly the "wealthy", who most often got where they are by being frugal -- it's a lot less expensive to have health insurance than to risk having to foot your own bills.

There was a time in my life where I didn't have health insurance for 3 years because I worked for employers that didn't offer it. I was scared to death that something would happen to me and I wouldn't be able to pay for it. I certainly didn't "choose" to go without, but it simply wasn't an option for me and I couldn't afford to pay for it on my own.

The most unfortunate thing is that even those of us who have insurance still often end up paying for health care above and beyond what our insurance covers. Insured or uninsured, we are all taken advantage of by the medical industry in this country. Until health care is socialized (and yes, I used that dreaded word, "socialized"!) and is no longer about filling the pockets of the few wealthy, white men who run the industry, we will all be screwed in one way or another.

If our taxes can pay for public schools (which I never attended -- does this mean the government owes me 12 years of taxes since I went to private school?) and to create an unnecessary war in Iraq, among other things, I think it can use our taxes to provide for our health.

I would very much like to see some research on this information. Somehow I find it hard to believe that so many people would "choose" to not have health insurance, particularly the "wealthy", who most often got where they are by being frugal -- it's a lot less expensive to have health insurance than to risk having to foot your own bill

Lucy,

I am trying to find out where I read this. I remember it was a few weeks ago, just before the debut of "Sicko". I saw the study in my newspaper and online on a news website, but cannot find either one now. The reason it gave for so many young people not buying into their company's healthcare program was that they preferred spending their $$ on other things...also because young people feel "immortal" and think they won't get sick. Really wealthy people feel that their money is better invested in other things and if perchance they get sick, they will have plenty of money to pay their bills. Yeah, it doesn't make sense, but that was the finding. As soon as I have more free time, I will search even harder for this info....

The reason it gave for so many young people not buying into their company's healthcare program was that they preferred spending their $$ on other things...also because young people feel "immortal" and think they won't get sick.

I haven't seen or heard of the study, but as an employer I can verify this information within my limited scope. I was shocked at how many employees of ours (all young) declined insurance because they didn't think they'd need it. It wasn't much out of pocket, either -- we picked up most of the expense! It wasn't until the employees started getting married and having kids that they'd then opt in for the insurance.

That's really surprising. I'm not doubting either of you, but it's amazing to me that anyone (especially a young employee who probably doesn't make very much) would just say "no, thanks" to the option for insurance. I can understand not wanting, say, life insurance when you are 22, but health insurance is something I would not choose to live without.

Still, I think the point here is that it's astounding that anyone should ever even be in the position to choose healthcare or not. How funny that the conservatives don't want us to have the right to choose in, ahem, other aspects of life, but it's okay to allow us to choose whether we have insurance or not.

How funny that the conservatives don't want us to have the right to choose in, ahem, other aspects of life, but it's okay to allow us to choose whether we have insurance or not.

Actually, I believe we should have the right to choose anything and everything we want to (regardless of whether it's a stupid or even life-endangering choice), unless that choice impedes on the rights of another person.

Actually, I believe we should have the right to choose anything and everything we want to (regardless of whether it's a stupid or even life-endangering choice), unless that choice impedes on the rights of another person.

I agree wholeheartedly, Gadgetlady!

Sure TommyO. If they're dumb enough not to buy insurance (which I am sure they can afford if they want it), they deserve to die.

Okay then, seems kind of harsh but if your okay with letting dumb people die that's up to you. What about smart poor people should wed let them die?

Also, I am in the health care field and have seen the phenomenal amount of waste and fraud in Medicare and other health programs. The thought of another new bureaucracy makes me shudder and wonder how we could possibly afford it without making huge increases in our tax system. So I am conflicted....

Universal heathcare would make our taxes higher, but we wouldn't be paying for health insurance, or medications, and, and, etc, etc. To me, it would be worth it to have that money come out of my paycheck and never have to "pay" for any of that stuff, even though I am really paying for it, you know?

Honestly, I am strongly considering becoming Green's neighbor.

Can we for one moment stop focusing on these "27 million" people who "don't care" that they don't have health care and focus on the people who do care that they don't have health care? As a matter of fact, can we talk about the mom in the movie Sicko whose little 2 year old died the hospital refused to treat her because the mother's insurance didn't cover treatment?

Let's just talk about her. Because the fact is we live in a country where a hospital would let a baby die and refuse to treat the baby because they might not get their big fat paycheck.

ONE baby is too many!

If you don't care about this one baby, then you're a disgusting human being. Period.

Can we for one moment stop focusing on these "27 million" people who "don't care" that they don't have health care and focus on the people who do care that they don't have health care? As a matter of fact, can we talk about the mom in the movie Sicko whose little 2 year old died the hospital refused to treat her because the mother's insurance didn't cover treatment?

Let's just talk about her. Because the fact is we live in a country where a hospital would let a baby die and refuse to treat the baby because they might not get their big fat paycheck.

ONE baby is too many!

If you don't care about this one baby, then you're a disgusting human being. Period.

I couldn't have said it any better.