Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I need some pep talks!

So, I will be one year out on August 12th. I have lost 88lbs and that is all!! I was doing sooo good. I have had some major life changes over the past year and some of them pretty huge, but I felt like I was still pushing forward. I lost my mom in November, two weeks later my daughter told me her family (my son in law and grandbaby, not even a year yet) were moving 9 hours away from me, and I graduated with my first college degree in May, all while taking care of my family (2 boys still at home and my husband). To say I have been stressed is an understatement and my doctor (GP) told me that stress and sleeping issues can have a big impact on weight loss and to be happy I am not gaining.

I wanted to be at 100 lost by my 1 year anniversary, but that will not happen and I am slowly accepting that.

I think that I have been so discouraged that I have been a bit more snacky and I am wondering what you all have done to help get back on track? Where do I start so to speak? I need some kind of intervention.....something!!

Any advice is welcome and appreciated!!!

I am so sorry for the loss of your mother and all the other stress factors you've been experiencing. I think your weight loss so far is tremendous! Just take a little time to focus entirely on yourself and your wants and needs and I'm sure you'll start feeling stronger soon! And I'd toss that scale away for awhile and concentrate more on how you feel instead of numbers. Good luck!

I too didn't have 100 off at my one year, nor have I yet. I am trying to stay focused and positive even though it is difficult which is why I am becoming active on here to be around supportive and understand people. I wish you the best, and send condolences on the loss of your mother, I know that is challenging! Hang in there and keep your mind focused on what you already know.

I am sorry for the loss of your mother. I hope time will help you find ways to cope with your grief.

You should focus on yourself now. A good way to get motivated is to set and achieve small goals. The large, long term goals are daunting and can be discouraging when you don't achieve them in the time that you hoped. Set small goals based on things you can control, like go 10 days without eating an unplanned snack, or go 7 days without skipping exercise. Then give yourself little rewards for your accomplishments. These rewards should be actvities and things that lift your mood. Maybe something like long baths with aromatic soaps and candles, or pretty lingerie (that's my current favorite).

My condolences, be encouraged. .. I'm only 55 pounds lost 1 year & 4 months later. I've also had some major family issues, but im happy that I'm not where i used to be. A lost is better than a gain.

lost 88lbs bit snacky - help get back on track?

@@BrandyV2729

you have been through so much heartache, stress this past year :(

i can only imagine how hard everything has been

condolences on the loss of your mom :mellow:

having to "take care" of your kids

hubby is not helping??? :blink:

i would definitely talk about your feelings/problems

tell/ask him for some help

he should/must help with the kids

"maybe" picking up a bit

you have a lot on your plate

hubby is part of the family too!!

after all your issues

you went to college and got a degree!!! :rolleyes:

you are aces, no doubt about it!!!

stress, lack of sleep effect many things

once some/any of your stress/emotions have improved a little

the sleep will take care of itself

hopefully you will be able to go to bed earlier

rest, rest, sleep and sleep some more

sweet dreams ;)

daughter and grandchild have moved !!!

(this i can relate to )

my 3 grand-kids moved a 1,000 miles away)

daughter and son-in-law moved too of course :D

who cares???? :D

i only want/need the grand-kids :)

dealing with your weight issues.............

from your post

it doesn't "sound" like you need to get back on tract

please stop eating those Snacks (easier said than done)

luckily you haven't gained any weight

too many nibbles here and there, who knows what will happen next??? :mellow:

continue to drink alllll your Water

Protein etc

you know all the rules

keep following what you have done this past year

would like to get a jump start loosing a few lbs???

people (me too) frequently say to go back to basics (drinking your Protein shakes)

you shouldn't be upset about loosing "ONLY" (no such word) 88 lbs

that is a hugggge amount of weight!!!!

you have worked very hard

you ARE a success :rolleyes:

you've had so many bumps in the road :(

this is a marathon not a sprint

whether you loose all your weight in one year or two, or.......it doesn't matter

the point is that the weight is/will be gone :)

you have/will continue to do great

88 lbs down, down and dirty!!! ;)

that's a lot to be proud about :)

clothes sizes down, down and down

good luck

caring thoughts

huggggs being sent your way :rolleyes:

kathy

Condolences on the loss of your mother, and congratulations on your college degree!! I agree with everyone else that you've made tremendous progress amidst the turmoil in your life. I see it this way: one year ago, you wrote a "script" for your progress one year out. That script didn't include the death of a parent or your daughter's move, let alone the day to day difficulties in finishing a degree or raising a family. Perhaps instead of focusing on where you wanted to be today, think about where you actually were one year ago. You are an absolute success, a strong woman, and I wish you every happiness!! :) :)

@@BrandyV2729 - sorry about the loss of your mom, that's tough. I deal with some of the same issues and I knew going in for surgery 3 months ago that my personal life (stress) and not sleeping was going to slow the loss. I am THRILLED to have lost what I have. Be excited you have LOST 88lbs!!! Get back on track and think about plane tickets to fly to see that beautiful grandbaby. Do you want to sit comfortably in a seat in a car or plane? Three of my grandbabies are in NM...

Did you sign up for the Labor Day Challenge? I did to push myself.

WLS is a tool, be thankful to have it - use it.

Let us know how you are doing and set small goals for weight loss. Any loss, is a gain!

My condolences on the loss of your mother, lost mine to breast cancer several years ago. Kudo's on your degree! That must feel great!

Agree with grammy, hubby must pitch in and help relieve some of your stress, you have been carrying quite a load for the last year but the load you haven't been carrying is 88 POUNDS!! Congrats on your efforts!

Get back to the plan that worked for you and you will have many more successes! Good luck and know you have this!!

I want to thank all of you! I am slowly learning to accept me for me. As many of you know, it is easier to say I lost 88 pounds than to see it. I do, but my brain doesn't accept it as well as it should. About my mom....I appreciate all of your kind words. She was a huge part of our family and we are all learning to adjust. Cancer is a horrible thing. :(

I just finished my associates degree over an extended period of time, work full time as well. Now in August I will begin my journey towards my bachelors degree. I am double majoring in Human Services and Psychology.

Proudgrammy: my hubby is VERY helpful! He though also works full time and has also started working towards a degree, Our boys our almost 15 and almost 14 and they are both active in school and sport activities. We balance the best we can around our hectic schedules, but he does help. :)

I will be making some smaller goals to work towards, and I will be looking into the Labor Day Challenge Jane13, I don't know what this is. I am interested though. I have considered the 5 day pouch test and I am going to be looking into that as well. Anybody do that?? I have a hard time with the Protein drinks, they taste horrible to me...sadly. I might revisit them though and see what if any that I can get down. lol :lol:

Again thank you ALL for your help and kind words! It feels great to know that there are those out there who are going through the same thing as you and who support you. :) :D

You DO know that a dishwasher weighs 80 lbs, right?? Now imagine walking around all day carrying a dishwasher! You have to remember that you are losing, that this is a tool, and a process. I feel terrible that you've endured so many challenges and want you to know we are all here for you!

WLS isn't easy-you know that. But you deserve to be healthy and happy and confident.

How long after surgery can you drive???

I was allowed to drive once I was off pain meds for 24 hours....if I recall it was only about 3 days or so.

88 pounds is terrific! I have only lost 95 at my one year anniversary, not every one loses a hundred pounds in a year. On the other hand with all of the stressors in your life. You did not gain weight.