Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello all! I am just starting this process. Last week I had my first visit with the NP at the surgical practice. In two weeks I see the PT and Dietary. I am undecided as to which option I will choose surgically. I want the best, long term success possible and I know that will mean a lot of work. But I am determined this time to make it work and keep it off. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

I love my sleeve. I am only 3.5 months out. I do not know much about RNY. After all I have read on the band, I would not go that route. I see so many doing a revision from band to sleeve.

I have read a lot about that as well. In fact the hospital where I am having the procedure no longer uses the lapband. Not successful, and too many complications.

I have looked into the sleeve but I am hesitating because I have GERD and have read it can become worse with the sleeve. My husband isn't completely on board with the bypass but I am leaning toward bypass.

I chose by-pass because of it having better data for curing diabetes, which was the most likely source of early death for me.... three months out today, diabetes 90% better, high BP gone, edema gone, 75# gone.... but following these threads, people also love their sleeves, but the GERD issue is significant.....

When I had my surgeon visit we talked about the options (our weight loss clinic no longer does the lap band due to complications-) After talking about the bi-pass and the sleeve we both decided that the sleeve would be best for me. Your surgeon wants you to be successful and is a great resource to determine which route would work best for you. Good luck- This is a great forum to get the ins and outs of all the procedures.

Welcome and congratulations on your decision! You will learn a lot here and there is plenty of support to help you along the way.

Good luck!

I chose by-pass because of it having better data for curing diabetes, which was the most likely source of early death for me.... three months out today, diabetes 90% better, high BP gone, edema gone, 75# gone.... but following these threads, people also love their sleeves, but the GERD issue is significant.....

FANTASTIC!! Thanks for replying!

For me I was sleeved and my Diabetes was gone next day, off both meds as of surgery and blood sugar is stable and low. I have read may times here of GERD being an issue after the sleeve. Do what is right for you. Good luck!

Congratulations for taking that first big step. If you have GERD, your surgeon is probably going to recommend you go with the roux en Y bypass, because both the sleeve and band can make GERD way worse. Also, for long term data of sustainable results, the bypass has better results and better results at resolving diabetes, sleep apnea, and other co morbidities. If you have just a bit to lose, like 70-100lbs you might look into other options like the vblok which is kind of neat, but for someone like me, at 410lbs, that's not going to really put a big enough dent in the excess I need to lose. One of the things that settled me on the bypass vs sleeve is that the sleeve is defeatable and if you sneak a piece of cake or have some ice cream, it's going to go down and you are going to gain weight and all this will be for naught. If you have the bypass and you try to sneak that cake, you are flirting with dumping syndrome which for me is the monkey that's going to slap that food right out of my hand, because I had something similar whenever I ate high fat, spicy, or dairy laden foods after having my gallbladder out and that pain was so intense, there's no cake worth even flirting with that possibly happening. Also, if you developed some complications later on, the bypass could theoretically be taken down, but with the sleeve, that big chunk of your stomach is gone and there's no going back if you need it. You just have to deal, so that's another thing to think about.

Hello all! I am just starting this process. Last week I had my first visit with the NP at the surgical practice. In two weeks I see the PT and Dietary. I am undecided as to which option I will choose surgically. I want the best, long term success possible and I know that will mean a lot of work. But I am determined this time to make it work and keep it off. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Congratulations! I just got my insurance authorization and am looking at a September surgery date. Definitely talk with your surgeon about your health history and concerns. That will help a lot in choosing a surgery. I'm still deciding between RNY and the sleeve. My surgeon is also no longer performing lap bands. We're going to talk about my options more at my next appointment and make a decision together. Doing a lot of research and talking to people here will help too.

If you're using insurance, have you called your insurance company to ask about requirements for surgery? My surgeon stays pretty booked up, so it actually took a couple months to get in for an appointment. I'm glad I started on my surgery requirements before that cause the process is taking FOREVER as it is! It'll be worth it though. :)

Good luck and let us know how we can help!

Thank you everyone. I do have insurance and I am starting the jumping through hoops game. I feel as if when I eat a meal I am just taking the edge off hunger and keeping myself upright. I hope I can make it through these 89 days of preop hoops. I am always hungry. I need to lose 11 pounds before I can schedule the surgery. 89 days, five days down, 84 to go!

Kensington- I was so hungry when I first started too! My NUT told me to keep some almonds on hand and chew each one until it was basically mush in my mouth before swallowing. I learned two things- I was definitely "wolfing" down my food without thoroughly chewing it and that liquid really helps keep me full. I hate the taste of Water and have been using just a little bit of Mio Orange vanilla Water Enhancer. It is right by the Chrystal Lite. I only have to use a small amount and it makes me just love my Water. (It also have Vitamins B3, B6 & B12 in it.)

The deep hunger actually got better in about a week or so. I've been doing this for 5 months now and don't feel that hungry anymore. Now, whenever I feel that way I check to see if I might actually be thirsty (or stressed LOL)!

Good luck! It is hard but anything worth doing takes work. You can do this (and we will help you get through this.)