Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'll be 4 weeks post op on Tuesday. I have an appetite and eat pretty much anything with no issue. I portion out/choose my meals to make sure I get all of my calories and Protein. However, since I get full after 3-5 bites, I will sit with the food for an hour until I finish it all. Is this ok or should I not be doing this? Or should I look for more calorie dense foods that I can eat in 5 bites that would give me enough calories?

My eyes are bigger than my stomach, literally

Edited by her1981

I eat until I am full and then I am done, I do have a snack that have Protein in it between meals if needed. I get about 400-600 calories a day and I am fine:)

I have been told you should stop eating after 30 minutes max or you can overeat. At 6 1/2 weeks I still cannot eat enough food to get in my Protein, so I have to supplement with shakes. Sometimes I can eat 15 to 20 small bites, but it really depends on what it is and if I last 30 minutes, then I just get rid of what is left.

That can lead to grazing. There is nothing wrong with planning for 3 meals and 2 Snacks, but I wouldn't sit with food. Are you doing Protein shakes or supplements of any kind?

In the early stages I liked to start my day with a hearty Protein shake. I used Protein powder and added some greek yogurt for added Protein. If it took longer than an hour to drink I put it away so I could then drink some Water.

I'm doing some Protein shakes if necessary, but I'm able to get my Protein in with my eating method. I'm just not sure if it's right. Or maybe long term I'll be able to eat the little I've portioned out in the 30 minutes and then it will be a non-issue. I'm just not sure if what I'm doing is right.

I am going to be very careful so that this in no way reflects on you, I also am full after just 3-4oz of food, usually 4-5 bites, I had to see my friend who is therapist before and after getting sleeved, and it was revealed that I had hidden issues that started at 5yo, it was tearful and traumatic since my mom was my last living family member and passed in December 2013, part of my problem was that we ate by emotion, and culminated with phrases like "you need to finish that plate" " you want seconds?", and the old "what, you don't like my food?", I had to learn to ignore my head and listen to my tummy, and guess what it's working!!!!! Sometimes my wife reminds me to stop when I say I'm almost full, it is the greatest feeling in the world, don't get me wrong, I don't suffer by any means, Saturday I had trout and oysters, I threw away the fries, ate half a fillet and 3 oysters, and I still have a fillet in the fridge, so basically I still get to taste the good stuff from time to time but I stop when my stomach says stop !!!!!! Hold your chin up and keep going, if we are kicking and breathing we are still alive and trying !!!???

I was advised that I should not prolong a meal past thirty minutes. After that, the food is cold anyway. If I have a few bites left, I either have to put it in the fridge, throw it away, or tape it directly to my hips, because that is where it's going if I eat it.

I'm doing some Protein shakes if necessary, but I'm able to get my Protein in with my eating method. I'm just not sure if it's right. Or maybe long term I'll be able to eat the little I've portioned out in the 30 minutes and then it will be a non-issue. I'm just not sure if what I'm doing is right.

If you have a decent relationship with your nutritionist I recommend speaking with her. If I was you, I would switch to one shake a day and then 2 meals and a snack if necessary. Sitting with food does not seem like a good idea. It feels like a slippery slope to grazing all day. One of the hardest things to learn is to stop when full. For me that meant stopping even when I just had 1 - 2 bites left. Now I do like @Languerr13 and trash those last 2 bites.

When do you fit in drinking Water and exercise with your method? Are you logging your food and keeping track of carbs, sodium & sugar as well?

I've been told to set a timer for 30 minutes and to not eat after it's gone off.

If you have a decent relationship with your nutritionist I recommend speaking with her. If I was you, I would switch to one shake a day and then 2 meals and a snack if necessary. Sitting with food does not seem like a good idea. It feels like a slippery slope to grazing all day. One of the hardest things to learn is to stop when full. For me that meant stopping even when I just had 1 - 2 bites left. Now I do like @Languerr13 and trash those last 2 bites.

When do you fit in drinking Water and exercise with your method? Are you logging your food and keeping track of carbs, sodium & sugar as well?

Every meal doesn't take an hour, it just depends on my choices. I've noticed that I've been stretching the mealtimes in order to eat the veggies. I manage to get in all my fluids. This is a typical day:

Drink about 8oz of Water taking my Vitamins and medication

7am Breakfast - 2oz fat free roast beef and some veggies

10am Snack - Triple zero yogurt

1pm lunch - 4 oz tuna w/ one tbsp. of lowfat mayo

4 pm Snack - Protein Shake

6pm dinner - 2-3 oz chicken and veggie.

I only drink about 20 ounces during the day because it's so cold in my office I don't get thirsty, but then I drink about 40 ounces after dinner and before bed.

700 calories and 90 protein, 36 carbs, 20 fat I log everything on myfitnesspal

Unfortunately, I didn't lose my physical hunger, so I get headaches and dizzy if I let myself get too hungry. I'm losing pretty well, but I need for it to continue. Also, I met with the nutritionist last week and she said she wanted me to get more vegetables.

Edited by her1981

Your headaches, dizziness, and hunger may be due to dehydration. I can't wait until I feel thirsty to drink or I would never get in all my Fluid.< /p>

Your headaches, dizziness, and hunger may be due to dehydration. I can't wait until I feel thirsty to drink or I would never get in all my Fluid.< /p>

I thought that too, but food is the only thing that resolved it. Plus I stay pretty hydrated.

I'm not sure what the point of your post is. You have a record of what you are eating, you say you are losing. The only suggestion your nutritionist had was to eat more veggies. I don't think the way you are eating is a good idea, but if it's working for you in terms of losing and your nutritionist doesn't have an issue with it, what's the problem?

Hopefully you are eating dark green veggies like spinach and broccoli that have a bit of Protein in them and you are getting in some form of physical activity. Is there something I'm missing?

@her1981 Hi, I was told by my NUT that after about 15 to 20 mins what you have not been able to eat you should forgot about it. She said don't wait just so you can fit a little more food in. Thats the rule I am going to stay by. Remember this as I am going to live by... We are now going to eat to live NOT live to eat :D I hope this helps you some ;)