Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi everyone :) hey I was just wondering if any if you do yoga? It's something I have as a goal to make part of my life even though I have nearly no experience! I hear a lot if good things and it's something I want to do. I tried a few yoga apps but I am just too big and my gut is in the way. FYI I'm still pre op.

So for those of you that do yoga regularly what weight did you start at and has it helped you on your journey? I am interested in the mind aspect as well as the physical. Also do you do it in a group or in the privacy of your own home? If in a class do you feel comfortable maybe not being small/average sized? Anyway would love to hear your experiences....

Hi!!! I am doing pilates (I know there are some similarities with yoga). My doctor asked me to wait 2 weeks after surgery before starting up again (I started before surgery).

As for pilates - it is amazing for me. I feel like my skin is not as loose around my core as other parts of my body. Plus is helping me when I am at the gym - I feel stronger.

My best friend is a yoga instructor. She has taught me some core movement to help warm up and cool down at the gym. I really feel like yoga and pilates will help us as we learn a new center of gravity. I also think the breathing has help me too... I mean a lot. Feel free to message me if you want any more advice.

I tried it at 300, and it stank...gut in the way, couldn't breath in some poses...but started doing hot yoga at 230...and is challenging and fun...now. It's embarrassing at first, but stand in the back and watch everyone else. Look around and get some groupon deals until you find a teacher and school you like. There are many styles, so find the one that works for you.

It's amazing what it does to your body after 5 weeks, at least twice a week. The body builds up new muscles, your sense of balance improves, you become aware of yourself in motion. There are other "intangibles" that are better saved for the adult forums but hint, hint, wink, wink your significant other will be happy.

I know you can do some yoga from a chair but I won't try it until I am able to get up and down off the floor.

Have you considered trying Tai Chi? That is another great exercise that just about anyone of any physical ability can do.

I'm also pre-op and keep in mind I don't have great excercise habits and have zero yoga experience. But I too keep hearing about the benefits of this and also would love to make this one of my long-term goals. I don't expect this to be my only excercise, but did hope to make it a goal long-term as one thing I rotate in. I downloaded an app on my phone to try it one day recently and it was not pretty -- my body simply won't bend like they require for the beginner poses. But I asked a few people and they promise that it takes a lot of practice and it is still beneficial to keep trying. Someone recommended a video for heavy people yoga -- available on Amazon. Haven't decided if I want to buy it and take that chance, or look into trialing an actual class.

Yes!!!! Started at over 230 I know can't remember exactly. Started with a class or two at the gym every week and now practice 3-4 times a week at a yoga place and even seek out new places to practice when on a trip and go to other local places for special events (eg yoga to live music, inversion workshop, etc).

Also love Erin Moetz classes online (Bad Yogi) and Instagram yoga challenges!!! I am thinking of going to teacher training.

Love love love it!!!! And I love the muscle definition and strength it's given me. I'm also a runner, but yoga has been every bit as important to my physical progress and the running. I'm at 18% body fat now and a 135lb size four.

Can't say enough good things about my personal yoga journey!!!!

Yes it's harder heavier but any good teacher will help you with modifications. Worst part? Seeing all my loose skin in Down Dog, LOL!

I love yoga...

About a year ago or so, I was going regularly to a 2x wk morning class... it was a blend of styles because most of the class were either heavy or elderly. I had trouble with anything that had my head down because my hiatal hernia (not sure of spelling on that) was acting up. It is not fun to feel like your food is coming up every time you bend over -- LOL. Unfortunately, there were just not enough of us to keep the class going. There are a couple of night time classes but they are too crowded for me (not body issues, space issues, I don't like someone right up next to me, it feels claustrophobic).

I did buy a set of DVDs I like and can't wait to get back to, when I don't have the hernia problem (supposed to be fixed with my sleeve surgery). The set I have is "Yoga for Inflexible people" it has 3 DVDs and over 50 different routines. You can pick your level and choose how long you want to work out. I love the flexibility and variety. The one thing I can't get with the DVDs is have an instructor check to make sure I'm doing it right (asking hubby does NOT work and my son just falls over laughing -- poo on them).

I have a good friend who has gotten really healthy by adding yoga to her lifestyle and I want to be like her when I grow up -- LOL. Unfortunately she doesn't live anywhere near me...

Good luck with trying yoga!!!