Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Fat confessionals

@@Elode This is a terrific thread! Very upbeat and inspiring. I've loved all your posts, everyone!

What is striking me the most is all of our "clothing journeys". I have found it very exciting to need new clothes and be able to walk into a store and buy them! However it was incredibly thrilling to pack up boxes and bags of clothes I had that no longer fit. Off to the Vietnam Vets charity! There were lots of amazing professional clothes in there....I recently retired....some were brand new or almost new. I actually started packing them the weekend before my surgery....I was so absolutely up and refused to ever wear them again!

@@natnat919 Your reply was so heartfelt! I am totally in your corner! You will succeed this time, have faith! Just follow the yellow brick road.....

@@natnat919 u absolutely are valuable no matter what your weight never let anyone make u feel otherwise how wonderful for you to have such freedom with your job wish that was me!!! Lol

@@LovinSoul Thank you so much! We can all use some inspiration along this journey. I'm sure someone will LOVE to have those clothes!

It's such a weird sensation! I still feel "fat!" But I've lost 71 pounds since 1/20/15. I went from a size 20 and am now fitting into a size 7/8! I struggle with trying to reconcile how quickly my body is changing and how I see myself! I am so happy with my decision to have surgery, but it's hard to adjust the "fat" mindset! I find that I am no longer buying multiple colors of the same shirt!! I didn't even realize I did that until I started getting rid of old clothes!!! I too hated shopping! Congrats to everyone on the start of their new lives!

That really touched me Jenkbacon

I really don't use the scale much but using milestones I thought I was doing good, but seeing your success since January clenched it for me, my surgery was on June 10th, but because I almost hit 400lbs last year( I was in a deep depression on my mom's one year anniversary of her death, she was my last living family member) I got down to 388lbs by January 25th or so, so from that day to the first office visit in April to the 10 day pre op til today, I have lost over 72lbs and 9 waist sizes, so I guess m doing something right lol, you are doing great keep it up, I had given myself til Christmas to break the 299lb barrier, but my wife said she noticed that at this rate I may hit that goal by September, October, keep us up to date.......

Here's my latest NSV...I just put 10 pairs of size 24 jeans & capris (all the same brand and style haha!) on an online garage sale!!! I'm in a 20 now and soon will be 18! It feels great going down, down, down! I started in April in a 26/28!!!

My confessions: when my button up shirts for work would no longer button (or on the off chance they did button I'd look like a can of those pillsbury biscuits exploding from the container) i got the bright idea to invest in tank tops and wear the button up shirts open, with the tanks showing. When my suit jackets would no longer button, I convinced myself the jacket was just for style, and didn't need to be buttoned. I also cut the lining out of the pants, cause it was tight and made me sweat excessively.

Oh, and I bought bra extenders rather than admit that I needed a bigger based size in my bras (I eventually relented with that though).

lol this made me laugh! (Not at you)

@@ZoeyBear Yay!! That's awesome! Bye bye have beens!!!

Great post! Now here is mine. Mine isn't much of a personal one, but more on the lines of health. In May of 2013 I had to have lung surgery where they were forced to removed half of my right lung. Because of my weight, 222, things had to be done differently than that of someone healthy. I was required to give the hospital a copy of my living will and will, or surgery would not be performed. I had to be put on the bypass machine during surgery because of my weight and the complications that could cause. While in Icu for days, my doctor continued to remind my husband and I that it would be a longer road to recovery for me because of my weight. Embarrassing to keep having to hear it. But he had to say it. He was right. It took me one full year to recover. May 2014, one year after surgery, I decided it's time to do something. Had my sleeve done the end of September 2014 and I am now down 75 pounds. With only 7 more to go until goal. I am healthier now than I have been in so many years.

Great thread. I made my decision early last year when with all my back issues I went to a back surgeon and he said unless I get the weight off, surgery is pointless and suggested WLS. I had thought about it before but that was the kick I needed to get me on board. My back would go out like once a month and be stuck in bed for a few days using a walker to get around etc... My highest right before surgery was 308 lbs . Had the surgery done last November. As many of you may have followed my post surgery nightmare, I went to hell and back, but have no regrets now. I finally hit one-der-land at 199 which I hadn't seen in 25 years since I was 20 years old. While I've gone through some clothes already, I'm in the middle of redoing the walkin closet and went through all the rest of my "big" clothes today. It's a great feeling. Clothes that would fit me before that were too small, now are too big. I can shop in regular stores and regular sizes. When I would go in the pool or beach, I'd always wear a shirt or put it on immediately when I got out. Now I lounge at beach or pool without a shirt. Iove the confidence I have with my body these days. I'm about 40 lbs from goal weight but already look pretty good. From 3X to comfortable in an XL and can wear some L shirts. From 52" waist feeling tight to a 38" waist with room to spare. The transformation is real and worth it. Much more energy now as well. I hated being the heaviest person in the room all the time. And I do a bunch of business travel and would dred the seats and was too embarrassed to ask for seat belt extender so would hold a magazine over my lap to hide that I wasn't buckled. Now I've flown in a middle seat with room to spare. I have mini weight-loss milestones. Every 10 lbs, ie seeing a 9 on the end of scale . Then the 100 lbs lost, then came onederland, next is 184 lbs that's when no longer considered obese, just overweight, and then 155 which is my goal, which is considered a healthy BMI. Anyway thought I'd share some of my confessionals. Onward and downward!

Edited by nprcowboy

@laguerr13- Thanks so much. I understand exactly what you mean. I started my journey in July of last year just prior to the one year anniversary of my father's death. He was the "healthy" one and he just dropped! It shook my world up, but made me realize I needed to do something! I was in a very dark place a year ago! As difficult as this journey has been I would do it again in a heartbeat! Good for you! 72 pounds is amazing! You should be very proud. I'm so sorry for the loss of your mother. I was not prepared for how deeply losing my father affected me. That one year mark was rough. I am forever grateful for the amazing group of people on this site! They have supported me in more ways than I can even say! Keep going on your journey and you will definitely make it!

@kimmyco- what an amazing story! Good for you!