Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

11 months out and no weight loss for half of it

Hi All, I'm ashamed to admit that it didn't take long for me to fall off the wagon. I was sleeved in August and for the first 6 months. The wright melted off plus my hunger was satisfied quickly. I loved every minute of my sleeve. I went from 240 to 181 in 6 months in March. And that's where I've remained since then. I will confess that in these last 4 months , I've been easily taking in pretzels, popcorn, bread and combining with high Protein Bars. I used myfitnesspal and have hit my Protein goals everyday-always above 60 and usually staying at 80. I'm always hungry now my sleeve tolerates everything. I exercise - not vigorously but do keep active. I eat approx 1200-1400 calories a day. I feel like I e master maintenance and forgot how to lose. I refuse to go on a fad diet or any diet for fear of messing up my metabolism which the surgery corrected. I've attempted the 5 day pouch test but can't get past the 1st day due to my hunger. I'm a mess. Aside from needing more will power and self discipline , what else can I do that may be helpful for me to get back? Looking for help - please don't scold- I hate myself already! Your caring will be truly and wholeheartedly appreciated!

You've answered your own question:

I will confess that in these last 4 months , I've been easily taking in pretzels, popcorn, bread and combining with high Protein bars.

I would get rid of these foods ASAP. You should be coming up on your one year follow up. Speak to the nutritionist and have her review your eating habits. If you aren't keeping a food diary, it would be good to start just to have something to review.

A therapist to get to the root of your eating habits will help also.

Agree with @@OutsideMatchInside and @BLERDgirl. If you are feeling hunger at this point and it isn't just head hunger you will have to dig deep to find the willpower.

Get back to basics and make sure you are taking in enough fluids. Dehydration is possibly causing your hunger and the Snacks you are turning to are all salty which would dehydrate you. No more bad choices in those Snacks. Get healthy snacks such as cheese sticks, etc.

The great thing is you have had success so you know you can do this. You haven't caused permanent damage so you CAN turn this around!

Look back at your meal plan and see where you can get back to what worked for you. Therapy might not be a bad idea since you turned back to food for solace.

Absolutely talk to your NUT about what has happened. That is his/her role in your success is to help you. Don't wait until your one year to do it, make that appointment now to speak with them.

You can definitely do this!! We all will make mistakes and good for you for coming here to ask for help! Good luck!!

I agree: Find a good therapist, Clean out the house of all slider foods and don't buy anymore. Focus on why you want to lose more weight (make lists of what the rewards for you will be -- and the downsides of continuing to eat more slider foods).

Find ways to become more accountable -- to yourself and, if need be, to others.

You may just need some more education / practice at cooking and eating cleaner than you are now. You may need to identify and avoid the triggers (environmental, emotional, nutritional) that are enticing you to eat wrong.

The deal is that we can't starve ourselves forever. We have to nourish ourselves so we aren't hungry for good foods, but wind up eating crap.

Not saying this is true of you, but consider the possibility that it's not all about what you ARE eating -- but what you are NOT eating (that your body desperately needs).

Good luck!

Ditto. My therapist is my best tool. She knows me WAY better than the surgeon, or surgeons office staff or NUT. She has walked thru this with me every step of the way and I don't know how people do this without a therapist. Ask your surgeons office to recommend a few and then read about them and interview them on the phone to see if you need personalities with one. Don't beat yourself up. This happens to a lot of folks. It truly isn't sheer willpower but it is using the tools the therapist can give you in combination with your sleeve. And definitely call your NUT and have them review your actual food log from the past week or so and see if the can give you some suggestions of what to change. Sometimes we need to confuse our bodies a little as they get too used to routine so more calories one day, less anothwr, different workout, etc. You got this! Look how far you have come!

I feel your pain, except I am only 2 1/2 months out and I can tolerate everything I could before the surgery plus take in about a cup and a half of food per meal. Once I figured out that my stomach could tolerate everything without getting sick, the head hunger and cravings came back like I'd been hit by a freight train. I went from losing weight consistently with almost no effort to every day being a struggle filled with near crippling depression.

I'm supposed to be back on a liquid fast right now, but that's not working out very well. It's feeling pretty close to like I never had the surgery at all, which ticks me off because I paid cash. I have two relatives who had the surgery done, and up to 6 months out they got sick whenever they ate anything they weren't supposed to. Even now, 3 years out, they can both only handle about 1/2 a cup of food per meal. To be honest, I feel pretty ripped off.

I realize that eventually it was supposed to get to this point, or close to it, but not anywhere near this soon. It sucks that we put ourselves through this yet still end up fighting and suffering.

Apologies for going off on a rant. This is some frustrating stuff.

I feel your pain, except I am only 2 1/2 months out and I can tolerate everything I could before the surgery plus take in about a cup and a half of food per meal. Once I figured out that my stomach could tolerate everything without getting sick, the head hunger and cravings came back like I'd been hit by a freight train. I went from losing weight consistently with almost no effort to every day being a struggle filled with near crippling depression.

I'm supposed to be back on a liquid fast right now, but that's not working out very well. It's feeling pretty close to like I never had the surgery at all, which ticks me off because I paid cash. I have two relatives who had the surgery done, and up to 6 months out they got sick whenever they ate anything they weren't supposed to. Even now, 3 years out, they can both only handle about 1/2 a cup of food per meal. To be honest, I feel pretty ripped off.

I realize that eventually it was supposed to get to this point, or close to it, but not anywhere near this soon. It sucks that we put ourselves through this yet still end up fighting and suffering.

Apologies for going off on a rant. This is some frustrating stuff.

I never got sick either. Stomach of steel. I knew this was a chance early on and just made sure to measure out my portions and not keep anything in the house I can't have around without binging. I always made sure to drink a full 20 ounce bottle of Water if I still felt hungry. And then I went for Protein Snacks like a hard boiled egg or nuts. Good, healthy fats that sit with me and make me feel full. I was 9mths out before I finally broke down and email my nutritionist about increasing my calories. I was eating 600 - 800 from month 3 to month 9. I just upped that to 800 - 1000. Thanks to my food diary I've learned which foods trigger my cravings and stay away from them.

I recommend anyone still struggling to reach out. Talk to your nutritionist, and if need be get a therapist.

@@kgunchic I'm in the exact same boat as you so don't feel bad, you are not alone! I am 9 months out and haven't lost a single pound in 2 months. In the past month, I've been eating all sorts of foods that I know I shouldn't be. My worst fear was that I'd go back to my old habits. I find some meals I can get full on a small amount and others I need more than usual to feel full. I've also been snacking between meals, picking at my daughter's lunch/dinner as I'm making it, etc. I know I will have to do the 5 day pouch test at this point in order to get over this rut I'm in. It's going to be hard to do but I keep telling myself that it's only 5 days and they will pass. Good luck!

What I find interesting here, is although you are eating some bad carbs, your calorie intake at 1200 calories still should support losing weight. Before I had the gastric sleeve, when I slimmer pre-kids, I lost 35 pounds on weight watchers, I ate everything but still lost weight, as I was burning more than I took in, so a hard question. Are you estimating what you are eating in MFP or putting actuals. It may make a difference.

I hear you on the guesstimating what you're eating trap.

Here's a test for everyone who thinks portion creep is becoming a problem.

Put what you think is a tablespoon of Peanut Butter on a knife and spread it on a piece of toast.

Now, using a real tablespoon measurement tool to measure out an actual tablespoon of Peanut Butter and spread that amount on a piece of toast.

Compare the two pieces of toast.

Use tablespoon measurers, measuring cups, and food scales to learn if and by how much your eyeballs are under-estimating the foods you eat daily.

How much half and half, milk, mayo or Miracle Whip, cheese, sauces, sour cream, and other things you eat often are you actually eating?

What about that baked potato or that apple or that orange? How much do they really weigh, compared to the weight and calories you're tracking?

@@kgunchic what is the 5 a Day pouch test?