Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What did you say you were going to do Pre-Op (so you wouldn't fail) that you didnt accomplish Post-Op

I have not had my surgery yet but my mind is filed with I'm going to do this and that. I will not fail. But I don't really think I'm really preparing myself. I know about the gas, Constipation, leaks, strictures and being on Npo's. I don't think I've learned how to prepare myself for the overall change as far as dealing with people around me eating what I love and I no longer can. Having to change the habits even for my kids. It's like how do I take away what they love just because I have a "fat" problem? How do I tell my co-workers please don't order pizza, Portillo's or Augustino's (best Italian subs ever)!

What do I do now so I won't fail after my surgery? I'm a everyday type person. Don't really like guidelines and Nuts telling me what I already know. Hell' I work long hours so we eat out like 3-4 times a week...me sometimes all 3 meals. I hate getting up any earlier than I have to (6am) but I'm a person that needs convenience?

Maybe I should not rush this and get a better perspective?

I don't have kids and I live alone, so I didn't have the issue of other people in the house eating around me. I don't like to cook, and I also ate out a good bit. I am 3-1/2 months post op, I have learned some new habits. First of all, you won't have that much of an appetite, or be able to eat much anyway. I ended up going out to eat not long after I was on solids because a coworker was moving out of state and I didn't want to miss the social aspect. I planned ahead and had leftovers for a few days, ended up throwing some out because I was tired of it after the 3rd day. I plan ahead and pack Water and snacks/lunch even for shopping trips so I'm not tempted to eat something less healthy. I cook and freeze so that I have options for the days I work. I still eat out, but I make different choices.

The big thing is I make sure that I get all my Water and all my Protein every day. I have been blessed with an easy surgery and recovery, almost zero nausea, and I feel great. I know that there are those who do everything right and still have complications, but following the plan increases the likelihood that you will have a smooth post op course. I know that I could still have some hair loss, but so far I haven't and getting my Protein helps with that. Ultimately I think that after surgery you have a lot of reasons to follow the plan. Find what helps you stay on track.

I don't have kids and I live alone, so I didn't have the issue of other people in the house eating around me. I don't like to cook, and I also ate out a good bit. I am 3-1/2 months post op, I have learned some new habits. First of all, you won't have that much of an appetite, or be able to eat much anyway. I ended up going out to eat not long after I was on solids because a coworker was moving out of state and I didn't want to miss the social aspect. I planned ahead and had leftovers for a few days, ended up throwing some out because I was tired of it after the 3rd day. I plan ahead and pack Water and snacks/lunch even for shopping trips so I'm not tempted to eat something less healthy. I cook and freeze so that I have options for the days I work. I still eat out, but I make different choices.

The big thing is I make sure that I get all my Water and all my Protein every day. I have been blessed with an easy surgery and recovery, almost zero nausea, and I feel great. I know that there are those who do everything right and still have complications, but following the plan increases the likelihood that you will have a smooth post op course. I know that I could still have some hair loss, but so far I haven't and getting my Protein helps with that. Ultimately I think that after surgery you have a lot of reasons to follow the plan. Find what helps you stay on track.

So, did you feel like the surgery made you do the right thing?

I said I was going to walk a hour

in the am and a hour in evening after surgery! I was lucky to do 15 min twice a day lol due to energy levels! But now I do a hour to a hour and a half a day 5 and a half weeks out! You just don't know how you'll feel after so it's hard to set goals! Every little bit helps though.

Edited by alindsey

The surgery did help me do the right thing. It's a choice, but the consequences of not making the healthy choice could be nausea, Hair loss, Vitamin deficiencies, etc. That helped a lot.

Plan, plan, plan.

Planning and packing food to take to work will be your greatest assets in keeping on track.

Pre-op I loved going out to eat and never would take the time to pack lunch. Post-op I have actually enjoyed taking food. It is such a little amount anyway that it's not a huge deal in the beginning and you could take something you could eat for several days. That part is surprisingly easier than I thought it would be. I have eaten out a few times and had tortilla Soup (without tortilla strips). Eventually though I do plan to eat out on occasion. I will just have to plan it very well - look at them menu beforehand, stick to Proteins, and pack up most of it to bring home. This is the part I was dreading the most and has honestly been one of the easier aspects.

This is great information! Thank you for sharing!

The big thing is I make sure that I get all my water and all my Protein every day. I have been blessed with an easy surgery and recovery, almost zero nausea, and I feel great. I know that there are those who do everything right and still have complications, but following the plan increases the likelihood that you will have a smooth post op course. I know that I could still have some Hair loss, but so far I haven't and getting my protein helps with that. Ultimately I think that after surgery you have a lot of reasons to follow the plan. Find what helps you stay on track.

This is great information!

@Dasiee68 your comment is exactly where I need to be. I'm actually working on this after seeing the Psych last week.

Thanks!

@Croaker.. My everyday life is about planning for kids my work but never for me. It's time I start planning for me to succeed at this.

I'm 13 days post OP

I ran on the elliptical today for 35 minutes, and have every day since I was cleared to at my post OP appt last Thursday

I've also mixed in some light lifting....doc said as long as it didn't hurt in places it shouldn't I would be fine...no cruches :)

I am the cook in my family, and cooked again the day after I got home from the hospital

Truthfully. I wasn't even tempted.

I felt so full just sipping Clear liquids the food I was cooking wasn't even tempting. I suspect you will have the same thing

My biggest issue is Protein intake. The only way I can still get to my Protein goal (for me, 100g a day, I'm a big guy...former college football player)!is through shakes (or Soups, but hot Soup in the middle of the day in the south in July...um...no). I was cleared for yogurts and then mashies when I felt comfortable, but I couldn't get down even half of a 100 calories yogurt. At my size and activity level that's nowhere near the calories or protein I need. It's like..I can feel slightly full on a 190 calories, 30 gram of Protein shake, or full to the top on 50 calories or yogurt

I guess what I am saying is be prepared for a whole new food calculus. The way you think about food will totally change.

You will be fine. I've lost 40 pounds since my pre-OP weigh in on June 26th. And 25 pounds since my surgery on 7/13.

You can do it! It will be easier than you think

You've gotten some great thoughts and advice on here. Here's a few more....

Definitely plan ahead and pack lunches. I do it for myself and the kids and hubby once a week so stuff is there and ready to go in fridge and cupboard in single serving sizes.

Get a good cold pack lunch box.

Why do you have to feed your kids stuff you can't have? Honestly if it's not good for you its not good for them. Mine have changed their habits for the better (Hubby too) along with me. The teens who feel they NEED pizza to survive get enough of it at friends houses or events to not need any at home.

Nope don't tell the co workers where to order from, just bring stuff you like instead or eat the fillings from a sandwich.

Plan plan plan!!!!!

Set goals. Couch to 5k or another exercise goal. A sticker on your calendar every day you eat on plan and a non food reward when you collect a certain number (song from iTunes, pedicure, cheap pair of earrings).

Keep emergency rations in your desk at work--Protein powder early out, Protein Bars, Jerky, etc for later.

My reaction to your question is a bit different.

The surgery doesn't MAKE you do anything.

YOU have to make yourself do everything.

If you aren't willing to make and aren't even excited about making some significant lifestyle changes, I dunno how your post-op life is going to produce a significant different result for you than you've already got.

I'm not being snarky.

Post-op success is not just about eating less junk food. It's about eating healthier food. And staying more dehydrated. And taking your Vitamins and meds and supplements every day. And moving more and exercising regularly.

It's about caring for yourself. Self-care, it's called. Making yourself and your health a priority. That means nutritional education -- learning what foods your body needs. That means changing your schedule that probably isn't working very well for you right now.

Having the surgery won't solve all your problems. Not even close. But it does offer you an opportunity to approach your life in a holistic way and figure out how you need to change your lifestyle in ways that will let address those things.

A phrase used around here often is: "They only operate on your stomach, not your head." The stomach part helps a lot. But fixing the head is the important part.

At least that's the way I see it.

Very, very, very best to you!

You can't expect other people to change because you have.

When your coworkers order Portillo's get a cheese beef on croissant and don't eat the croissants. It is so messy if you eat it like that with a fork no one will know. Order Ceasar salads and just eat the chicken.

You have to find a way to fit in the regular world without feeling like an outcast or long term you are going to relapse or feel miserable.

Normal people low carb all the time.

Look for low carb recipes for your kids. Most kids love low carb meals

Edited by OutsideMatchInside