Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Need Suggestions for What to Tell People Who Ask If I've Had WLS

I tell people I'm doing a number of things differently: Seeing a shrink, using My Fitness Pal to plan and track all my menus, wearing a Fitbit, eating more Protein, avoiding starchy, processed foods foods, and going to the gym.

That's all true. :)

Friends and family have seen me yo-yo diet all my life. They think the stars finally aligned for me.

The End. :)

My surgery isn't for another few weeks but I find that when I'm asked a personal question that I don't care to answer, it's SUPER easy to very quickly say "oh thank you and WOW i love your hair (earrings, skirt, lipstick color, etc). so, what are you up to this weekend?"

Even the nosiest of people would much rather talk about themselves than about you :)

My surgery is scheduled for next month. I don't want to tell anyone but have to say something to my boss. Any suggestions as to what type of surgery would be equivalent to the sleeve as far as recovery time and restrictions?

Any female surgery.....hernia repair...

I was very embarrassed and shy about telling people leading up to the surgery. I told my close friends and family slowly leading up to it as well as my coworkers. After surgery, I care a lot less about who knows. This is my journey. I have never had any negative feedback about it. I don't shout it from the rooftops, and don't tell strangers about it, but I am open if it comes up. I became more proud about my decision afterwards, but I completely understand being nervous now. Hopefully you have the same positive experience I did and it wont matter much afterwards. Own it! Be proud of it! Its the new you!

I have been embarrassed of my body for a long time. I can't help but share my excitement of the changes that will be happening. I will be honest and tell them why. Those I've shared it with so far has been supportive. The main reason for this is to get healthy and be here for my family. Screw them if they don't see the reasons for it.

@@Omla just tell your boss you are scheduled for surgery. You are not obligated to say anything more. If he/she presses (some people are clueless about both the law and etiquette) say "uhh, that's really personal . . ." and look as mortified as you possibly can. Let them assume you are having anal fissures repaired or something.

I've found most people just say to me that I look good or wow, you've lost weight. I don't go into details unless someone is just demanding to know what I'm doing. Most people don't though. They just talk about it behind your back. LOL!

I've been open and honest with people in my workplace. A lot of them have noticed me on my liquid diet and asked about it and I've told them it's to prep for my surgery next week. There's nothing to be ashamed of. I've had family members ask me why I just can't lose the weight naturally, but everyone at work has been super supportive.

Two of the ladies I've told have even been jealous!

I'm very open about having had surgery. If someone asks how I lost all the weight, I say, "I had bariatric surgery last June. I haven't had a starch, or a sweet, or fruit juice, or a soda, or alcohol since then. I eat mostly Protein and vegetables, and I get exercise 4-6 times a week. It;'s hard work, but it's SO worth it because I feel great and I'm much healthier than I was before." Then if they have more questions, I answer them honestly. If anybody has a negative response, they haven't shared it with me. They usually say, "Wow, good for you!"

I always remember " Oh what a tangled web we weave, when first we practice to deceive"

Once you start fibbing you have to remember who you told what. Just be truthful. They may be asking because they want to know how they can do the same.

If people are smart asses, then they aren't your friends anyway.

Be proud and show them its a great decision!

I think I will say something like, "I used a surgical proceedure as a catalyst for radical across-the-board lifestyle changes in my pursuit of radiant health."