Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello- so I track absolutely everything with an app on my phone. This is wonderful if you know what you should be tracking! My confusion is about carbs; should I be tracking carbohydrates in general (including fiber) or should I only be counting Net Carbs? As of right now I do both but it's getting me frustrated. Also what is everyone's carb intake like in the early stages of weight loss? I have been keeping me total carbs no higher then 40 grams. Please help.

Many people on here vary when it comes to the amount of daily carbs. I do know that some of us, me included, are more sensitive to carbs. For the first six months post op, I had a very low caloric intake and less than 15 grams of carbs daily. My hypothyroidism condition made it harder to lose weight and I knew I had to do something drastic in order to be successful. My carb count included all carbs, which was a little irritating because I couldn't even take Metamucil for Constipation.< /p>

Since I hit goal, I eat more good carbs everyday, like fruit. I've decided to not eat anything at the bottom of the food triangle (bread, rice, grains, pasta). That is what works for me. You just have to figure out what works for you. It seems like part of this process is trial and error at times.

Many people on here vary when it comes to the amount of daily carbs. I do know that some of us, me included, are more sensitive to carbs. For the first six months post op, I had a very low caloric intake and less than 15 grams of carbs daily. My hypothyroidism condition made it harder to lose weight and I knew I had to do something drastic in order to be successful. My carb count included all carbs, which was a little irritating because I couldn't even take Metamucil for Constipation.< /p>

Since I hit goal, I eat more good carbs everyday, like fruit. I've decided to not eat anything at the bottom of the food triangle (bread, rice, grains, pasta). That is what works for me. You just have to figure out what works for you. It seems like part of this process is trial and error at times.

That's interesting, but much more drastic then I even thought! The nutritionist at the doctors office said I could eat up to 60g of carbs a day, but I know for my body that is way too high. Again, I am mostly confused about total carbs vs. net carbs. Thanks for your response though.

Some people track net carbs and some track straight carbs. There is no right or wrong way to do it. At my live support group the nutritionist said that there is no official way either. Use whatever works for you and if you are not sure try to stick to straight carbs. The theory that increased Fiber means it lowers your net carb intake is a slippery slope in my opinion. I try to watch any carbs I eat and stick to my plan of Protein first, veggies second and then carbs if there is any room. My personal nutritionist did not give me a carb goal but instead gave me a total calorie goal and a Protein goal. Hope this helps! Good luck!

Some people track net carbs and some track straight carbs. There is no right or wrong way to do it. At my live support group the nutritionist said that there is no official way either. Use whatever works for you and if you are not sure try to stick to straight carbs. The theory that increased Fiber means it lowers your net carb intake is a slippery slope in my opinion. I try to watch any carbs I eat and stick to my plan of Protein first, veggies second and then carbs if there is any room. My personal nutritionist did not give me a carb goal but instead gave me a total calorie goal and a protein goal. Hope this helps! Good luck!

Thank you! Yea, everyone says you have to do what works for you, but how do you know it works? I am about a one month and 2 weeks out from surgery and I have lost 20lbs as of yesterday; so yes I am losing, but could I be losing more? I want to

Make sure I do every possible thing to ensure my success. I make myself work out 5-6 days per week and I never eat more then 700 calories (most of the time it's not more then 600). I also restrict my general carbs to 40g a day, most of the time it's around 35g. I do my best to get more the. 64oz of Water a day but sometimes I fail at that... A new thing that's been happening is I get extremely tired after I eat. I don't know, it's just like a light bulb went off and I am done being overweight, so now I want to make sure everything I do aids in my success. Maybe I am being obsessive, maybe I am worrying too much, but that's why I came to the message boards for advice. Thanks again.

Total carbs is where it's at. There some advanced carb counting that involves how much fiber is included.. Then you subtract carbs based on that fiber number but I'm not familiar with that method. Anything 5 and under I don't count unless of course you eat two or three of that item.

You are most welcome...remember too that this is a marathon and not a sprint. If you have lost 20 pounds in 6 weeks you are doing great! Some weeks will be more and some will be less. As you are losing the body is constantly resetting and adjusting. Keep up the good work and you will make it!

Based on your stats you want to lose 113 pounds. You have lost 20 in 6 weeks or 18% of your goal. The honeymoon period as they say is about a year. You are 11.5% into your year but down 18%, you are ahead! Enjoy!

You are most welcome...remember too that this is a marathon and not a sprint. If you have lost 20 pounds in 6 weeks you are doing great! Some weeks will be more and some will be less. As you are losing the body is constantly resetting and adjusting. Keep up the good work and you will make it!

Based on your stats you want to lose 113 pounds. You have lost 20 in 6 weeks or 18% of your goal. The honeymoon period as they say is about a year. You are 11.5% into your year but down 18%, you are ahead! Enjoy!

Wow! I never thought of it that way. "You are 11.5% into your year but down 18%, you are ahead!" That makes a lot of sense. Thanks you!

For me it doesn't matter. I track everything in MyFitnessPal but only really focus on Protein. I do avoid most starches (rice, Pasta, bread, starchy vegetables) so the carbs are really from mostly vegetables and fruit.