Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Preop diet Confession

So I am in all liquid and 1 meal( low fat meal) diet for preop. The first week I did really well and followed the guidelines then the weekend hit....:-(

I cheated... Yup...I cheated. (Let the good ol' BP gallery of finger pointing begin)

But I realized a few huge things through this weekend.

1. I fucked up--- I am human. I need to build the muscle to not allow head hunger to take over. I am stronger than that! I can and will be able to do what I have to do for my health. Let's work on being the best me for what's left of this.

2. This last week of preop (surgery Friday July 17) will be perfect!! I will not only try my hardest but I WILL follow through and be consistent. Consistency has been one of my issues with weight loss management all my life. This time is different and I can not go back to old habits. I can not allow myself to go back there.

3. This is real. Up until this weekend I don't believe it truly hit me (in my heart of hearts). I was going through the motions and saying/doing all the right things to go through this process, but I don't think it HIT me like it's truly happening. This weekend of cheating truly made me realize that I was just cheating myself and that it needs to stop.

So for anyone that is in preop diet stage and has or is cheating. Don't be hard on yourself. Use this experience as a way to learn about what needs to not happen. After you cheat, I KNOW you have this pain in your belly and it doesn't feel good. So why keep doing it?

You are stronger than food!!

Let's kick ass!!!

I'm gonna be honest here. I didn't have a pre op diet, and I don't know if I could have done it without cheating either.

I found after I had the surgery, it was easier to stay on track. It's motivating and your sleeve keeps you honest, lol. I mean, if we were known for our great discipline, would we be having surgery?

Amen, Sistah! Wishing you all the best as you move forward.

So I am in all liquid and 1 meal( low fat meal) diet for preop. The first week I did really well and followed the guidelines then the weekend hit....:-(

I cheated... Yup...I cheated. (Let the good ol' BP gallery of finger pointing begin)

But I realized a few huge things through this weekend.

1. I fucked up--- I am human. I need to build the muscle to not allow head hunger to take over. I am stronger than that! I can and will be able to do what I have to do for my health. Let's work on being the best me for what's left of this.

2. This last week of preop (surgery Friday July 17) will be perfect!! I will not only try my hardest but I WILL follow through and be consistent. Consistency has been one of my issues with weight loss management all my life. This time is different and I can not go back to old habits. I can not allow myself to go back there.

3. This is real. Up until this weekend I don't believe it truly hit me (in my heart of hearts). I was going through the motions and saying/doing all the right things to go through this process, but I don't think it HIT me like it's truly happening. This weekend of cheating truly made me realize that I was just cheating myself and that it needs to stop.

So for anyone that is in preop diet stage and has or is cheating. Don't be hard on yourself. Use this experience as a way to learn about what needs to not happen. After you cheat, I KNOW you have this pain in your belly and it doesn't feel good. So why keep doing it?

You are stronger than food!!

Let's kick ass!!!

It's tough!! Really tough but we can do it!

Love your honesty, Nyelah! Thanks for sharing as I have had the same thoughts lately. Finally, after 30 years of failed dieting.....I get it! I am not yet to the preop diet but went on a no carb no sugar diet yesterday getting ready. I have had all the testing done and am scheduled for my Nut and Psych eval on 8/4/15. The surgeon said after those we will be ready to schedule the procedure. I am excited, nervous and scared, but ready for this new chapter in my life. Looking forward to the new thinner and healthier me!!

I've learned that with the pre-op diet you have to be self disciplined to avoid all possible obstacles, but alas we are only human. It's challenging when you are caring for others. They need to eat, you have to cook and grocery shop. You have to take care of them and any other obligations that you had prior to planning for surgery. I will be honest and say that the first 5 days I did fantastic! Then the weekend and a Girl Scout camping trip hit. I failed a little, but made sure that I made good choices with Protein and low carbs. Monday came and I'm back on target. What's better is that I remind myself that I've lost 16 pounds since the beginning of June. The work pants that I'm wearing today feel a little looser in the thighs, not much but slightly. It's a victory to me that I'll take.

Don't beat yourself up. Set goals and work to achieve them. If you need to view each day as a victory then do it. It takes time to change habits, but you're working on it.

You hit the nail on the head, Nyelaah - don't be hard on yourself. In my pre-op educational class, the nutritionist mentioned cheating a couple of times. No one is perfect! I haven't minded the Protein shakes. I started having one a day before the two week pre-op diet just to get used to them. They keep me full for the most part, and I like the taste.

My surgery is also scheduled for this Friday, July 17. It was supposed to have been Monday, but was cancelled (surgeon running behind due to complications with other cases). I was devastated, but know that everything happens for a reason!

Wishing you all good luck!

As my NUT reminded us, whether it's the pre-op diet or the post-op food phases, it's not forever. Most of us can do anything if it's not forever. You have a definite end date for your pre-op diet and it's for your benefit. You've got this.

You hit the nail on the head, Nyelaah - don't be hard on yourself. In my pre-op educational class, the nutritionist mentioned cheating a couple of times. No one is perfect! I haven't minded the Protein shakes. I started having one a day before the two week pre-op diet just to get used to them. They keep me full for the most part, and I like the taste.

My surgery is also scheduled for this Friday, July 17. It was supposed to have been Monday, but was cancelled (surgeon running behind due to complications with other cases). I was devastated, but know that everything happens for a reason!

Wishing you all good luck!

That is my surgery date too!!! Good luck SoCalLeslie!!

I'm having surgery Friday July 17 too and I have to say reading nag this made me feel better because I definitely cheated on my diet too but I have been doing good so far.... Extremely excited for Friday many blessings to you and I will be praying for both of us????