Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hope for those diagnosed with Sleep Apnea

A few months ago I posted a thread concerning my sleep study. I did both of them and have just gone for a follow-up last week. I won't even go into how ticked off I got for having to wait 2 hours only to find out they didn't have any of my readings. What I did want to say is that when she did finally look them over she called to tell me that although my apnea was considered "moderate servere" she did not feel like I needed to use the CPAP machine. She said my weight loss has been extremely good and at the rate I was going she didn't feel like they could keep the pressures adjusted since part of its based on weight. She basically wants me to keep her posted on my weight loss and she feels that once I level off, my apnea should be minimal. Of course she wants me to do another sleep study when I reach goal but I doubt I will. She had me do all this testing when I kept saying, "If I loose weight, won't that make a big difference" and she kept saying "Oh no...no" Funny how she's changed that tune. She said if everyone lost weight like she ordered her sleep center would have to close...so what does that tell you?

I know everyone has different situations and I am only posting mine. I know some people have great results with the CPAP however for me, I was not looking forward to it.

Hope everyone is well!!

Jodi :whoo:

I used a CPAP for a couple of years and my sleep Dr. kept asking me when I was going to address my weight. He felt that was the biggest problem. I wasn't really in a position to do it then but had lap band this year. I have lost 75 so far and I no longer use the machine. I took myself off of it and my wife even commented I don't snore anymore nor do I wake up with those horrible head aches.

I told my PCP about no longer using it and she was fine with it. As far as I am concerned I now have one less medical issue and one less Dr to worry about.

That is good news to hear, I have sleep apnea myself and it scares me, I used to wake up to heart palpitations. Haven't had that happen in a long time.

I was diagnosed with sleep Apnea in Oct 2006. That was the driving force for finally doing something about my weight.

Jodi, I don't want to make assumptions about your sleep center but mine was anything but professional. I am not sure what type of training or licensing it requires but I have very little faith in mine and have had my records transfered to a sleep center affiliated with a respected local hospital.

If you are uncomfortable with them drop them like a 8th period Latin class and go elsewhere.

Tom

I stopped breathing 100 times in a four hour sleep study. After losing 100 lbs I don't use it (CPAP) anymore Thank you Jesus! woohoo!

Matt

Hey Matt: Thats about the same rate I had. I managed to sleep 6 hours and stopped about 180 times.

Did you get retested or did you just know your apnea went away?

As I lost the weight I breathed easier. One night I noticed I was in bed and did not have the mask on! It just got better and better.

I as well had sleep apnea and wore the mask for some time, it really made a difference in my health. I actually woke up feeling good and not so tired. Slowly started loosing weight and didn't need it anymore.

However at the time it was a bleesing, and yes it took some time to get use to the mask. (it was worth it):notagree

i have mild sleep apnea... well at least thats what they told me... i got a cpap machine but i never use the darn thing...it seems everytime i put that thing on my nose clogs up and i cant breathe.. so i sleep w/o it .... i feel that i sleep fine and feel well rested when i wake up so i had absolutely no idea what they were talking about...

Hopefully, this mild sleep apnea has cured itself since i lost some weight...

I have severe obstructive sleep apnea. I haven't been banded yet and just started using my CPAP machine about a month ago and it was terrible to get used to over the first two weeks, but sleeping with it now is much better.

I stopped breathing about 21 times an hour and with the mask they only recorded once an hour. I was told that once I lose weight I too probably will not have to wear the mask anymore. I dreaded getting this machine, I was very resistant at first but I am now glad I did.

I'm pretty sure I have sleep apnea, but have not yet been tested. I tried calling all last week to get a sleep study scheduled but only got the voicemail. Maybe they are on vacation or something. Anyhoo, I have my lap band pre-op appointment next Tuesday. I'm worried that having to go through a sleep study and get a CPAP will delay my surgery. Is it really important? What do you all think?