Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Vomitting after surgery

I.V. pain medication makes me vomit. I'm really worried about this happening immediately after surgery. Has anyone had this happen? And can it cause problems with your sleeve? Or is it really not that big of a deal?

I didn't have this happen but have you shared this with your surgeon? I was given oral liquid hydrocodone for pain. There are alternatives. Good luck!!

I've always been prone to nausea and vomiting after anesthesia. But I didn't have any problems at all after my Sleeve surgery.

They put a nausea patch behind my ear pre-surgery and gave me anti-nausea meds. They worked like a dream. Don't borrow trouble. They will take good care of you, I'm sure. Just be sure and let them know about your tendencies.

I spent the first night through the second night after surgery puking non-stop to the point that since I had a totally empty stomach I just dry heaved for almost 24 hours. They gave me Phenergan, Zofran, and the Transderm Scop patch and nothing worked until I asked them to stop the IV narcotics. Within a few hours I started feeling better. You really don't need the IV drugs if they can give you liquid advil. Your stomach just feels like you did too many sit-ups, it isn't painful as much as it's just annoying to move. Also, you can't drink anything for 24 hours after surgery, and then when you can drink something it's clear liquid, so IV drugs just make you feel more miserable than you already are. If you know they make you sick, tell the anesthesiologist to give you some Phenergan while you're in surgery and you should be fine. I've had 3 plastics surgeries and I asked them to do that and I haven't been sick once when they managed the nausea before I was awake enough to get sick.

The anesthesia team gave me a patch behind my ear pre op. I left it in for 3 or 4 days. Then I just made sure to have meds on hand because Im VERY prone to nausea. I did just fine. Make sure you tell everyone you are prone to nausea and they should help do whatever it takes. Good Luck and best wishes

Also, I am not a doctor, but EVERYONE is prone to nausea and vomitting from the pain meds: hence the universal "nothing by mouth" from night before. It is so people don't just starting vomitting stuff up and then potentially aspirating it during surgery.

And yes, I think asking them for the phenegran and other meds UP FRONT before surgery before you start to feel nausea is a GREAT idea, which I will also discuss with my surgeon.

Some of the liquid narcotics have made folks sick as well. I am hoping for PCA (patient controlled analgesia) where you push a button and it comes in through your IV as long as they will let me have one. And when they cut me off from that I am going to request plain old liquid tylenol and/or tylenol with codeine (because I know that I can tolerate that well already).

Good luck everybody!

Thank you! This is all very reassuring. I will make sure to talk to the anesthesiologist about the nausea before surgery. I didn't realize there were options like the nausea patch. Good to know!

I always advise talking to the surgeon with those types of concerns. But I can say I was terrified of vomiting post surgery.... that fear that it will damage the staple line or something like that... I had all of those things running through my mind. I was even playing it too safe with my post surgery diet out of fear. My dietician and surgeon informed me that I didn't need to be so fearful of it - vomiting will not hurt the sleeve. I hope this provides some reassurance! I have read some posts from other who mentioned they vomit it all of the time. Right after I was brought out from anesthesia I had a huge rush of nausea and panicked and they hit me up with some morphine - problem solved :)

Not a doc, but I would not ask for liquid a liquid NSAID of any kind. I had IV acetominephan the entire time I was in the hospital because that will not irritate staple line or cause ulceration. I did have a PCA pump but I believe I only used it once. I'm a recovering addict so I really avoid pain meds.

I talked to my doc about identical concerns prior to surgery during the pre-op visit and he heard my concerns and addressed them. He has every patient take a pill called emend before they come to hospital on surgery day and it kept me from having any real nausea.

I have been told no NSAID's too.

Im going to miss my naproxin if I have issues with my neck again ;)

Kate

It was a fear for me since vomiting occurred with a previous surgery. This time they placed an anti-nausea patch behind my ear and also gave me some anti-nausea meds in the IV (the one time I asked). I was able to control my own pain medication with a little handheld push button controller. I could press every 10 minutes if necessary. Good luck to you.

Edited by no onions