Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

WTH? All these different post op diets after sleeve! Ughhh

Since I was sleeved on June 29th, I am still a "newborn" I guess. Here is my rant ( take this as aggravated humor please):

After reading a load of threads on here. Post OP diets on here are about as consistent as Congress. It seems some start "soft pureed" foods sooner than others and some don't. It obviously differs from doctor to doctor, the phase the moon is in and maybe where the NUT and Surgeon feel they want to really stretch someone out. It's crazy! WE ALL HAVE HAD THE SAME SURGERY. We have our stomachs "trimmed up" with staples in them .

I started my official diet journey 32 days before my surgery date. I was 409. I did the phase 1 pre op diet for a week and a half and the rest did the liquid diet (jumped on it half a week early to be safe) up until surgery. I lost 45 pounds doing that and some short walk around the block. I did it out of fear that if I didn't, I would be sliced open and then stamped " REJECTED" and/or complications might arise. Did it for fear of my life basically! Could I have introduced foods back in and not done the surgery and hit my goal weight? Probably not due to the fact that I emotionally ate at times due to stress, issues and just addiction to the "CARB" load.

Anyways, my point is....I have probably paid for some executives car payment that is over the Protein Drink companies I buy from. My local grocery store is about to ban me from Crystal Light and broth. My body wants REAL nutrition and not a freaking synthetic load of ________.

I do realize I will still have to supplement one a day, but I want some real Protein and food with real Vitamins. I don't even crave junk, sugar or lard. I crave fruits, veggies, lean Proteins, etc. Which is not weird for me because I actually use to eat somewhat clean until I felt I had to have a "fix", then go eat a dozen tacos and wash it down with a Mountain Dew ( and that was a light fix). I chose surgery due to my health (blood pressure pills and hiatal hernia) and a TOOL to remind me if I want a fix...it's going to hurt..bad..which will make me say "Nope"!

Ughh...the variances in these "stages". It's like a bunch of chimpanzees ( nutritionist teamed with docs) having a go at operating traffic lights in rush hour traffic. Sporadic and not making much sense.

I said my peace to the world (forum of WLS people..lol)..

Have a great day!

Loved your post!

I am also amazed at the differences in eating plans from everyone here. That being said I am having success with the one I was given from my nutritionist so I just stick to that.

Ultimately I know the sleeve is a tool and it has to be paired with exercise and a healthy eating plan. No matter the arrangement, all the plans incorporate that and end at a sensible meal plan for the remainder of time. It is just a difference in opinions of nutritionists and we all know the one about opinions right? lol

Hang in there and know this will work for you as it has for others in your surgeons office or else the plan would have gotten changed. Every pound lost is a win! Good luck!!

Haha....it is sort of crazy, how different everyone's plan is, isn't it?

I heard that in Europe many Docs say go back to regular foods right away. Let your stomach be your guide. I think sometimes the strictness of early diets are more to get us used to having to control what goes in the pie hole. Later on, when its east to eat anything, having the strength and experience of moderation may help to pull us through the temptation to free form it.

Prior to committing to surgery I did my own research and searched for pre-op and post-op diets from various hospitals online and found that they did in fact differ quite a bit. In all the appointments that I have with my NUT it appears as if they want to custom tailor something to my blood work (supposedly though all my levels are fine, even Vitamin D). Perhaps due to your hernia or other factors you might be considered high risk (for instance if you ate too much too soon and vomited it up, could that affect your hernia healing?). I don't know, and I'm not a doctor, but that being said is exactly why I plan to stick to exactly what my doctor tells me. I also understand that it is easier being said than done. If you have been on full liquids for longer than 2 weeks that does seem overkill. Perhaps just call them and ASK them if you could possibly blend 1/2 a ripe banana into your Protein Shake? But I would be very weary to go against their advice. I know that this is incredibly hard just try to hold onto a few more days until you go into the next phase. Good Luck. I will be where you are in a few weeks.

I heard that in Europe many Docs say go back to regular foods right away. Let your stomach be your guide. I think sometimes the strictness of early diets are more to get us used to having to control what goes in the pie hole. Later on, when its east to eat anything, having the strength and experience of moderation may help to pull us through the temptation to free form it.

I do agree that it is more of having someone learn to control themselves. I am sticking to mine from FEAR of complications and such, but it has become mind numbing!!! LOL. I'll survive, I just look at all these different "phases" and the time lines from various nutritionists and surgeons and I am like, " Is their scientific data behind this?" lol

Seems to me mine is a CYA ( cover your ass) plan so I don't end up with complications and my surgeon has a better success rate short term and long term without me coming in with a leak or something. Can't blame him..I am not a risk taker myself. It's not a bad strategy. I'm just in the mood for something REAL. :blush:

Whatever the differences are, I'm going to stick to my surgeon's instructions. He's getting paid a lot of money for his wisdom and experience, and obviously, I haven't been the best food picker over the years! LOL

I took the attitude that I picked the best"program/surgeon" available to me....so might as well follow what they have used with many successful patients. I have been doing that for 3.5 years, and in fact their program has changed in that time so I tune in for updates too. It's been working for me.

Yeah, it starts to get a bit confusing. I thought my plan was more lenient than most - moving to soft foods at week two while I saw others stuck on a liquid diet for a month post surgery. It's kinda crazy!

My NUT said....

Surgery to 1 week Clear Liquids

Second week full liquids

Third week soft/puréed foods

Fourth week all foods

Of course she had specific guidelines as to things in CANNOT eat ever. And her main point was proceed as you can tolerate and as your stomach allows. I personally stayed on soft/puréed foods for weeks three and four. Going into week five I will add a few items but not a lot. I am also ready for fresh veggies but from everything I have read, we shouldn't start those for a while and my NUT has not said when I can start them.

All in all, I am happy with my healing process and I have had zero issues.

Totally agree.

I luckily did not have a pre op diet. But I feel like I'm paying for that now. My surgery was July 2nd and for 2 weeks I'm only allowed clear fluids. I want food! I see so many posts about how everyone sleeved the same day are enjoying soft foods now.

I just tell myself it's all going to be worth it in the long run.

Your post is a riot! Yes, it is nuts info from the NUTS! But I also have to agree that I chose my doc for good reasons so I just chose to follow the plan. I also was scared to bring any complications on, like you! I must admit in all honesty, I pushed the timeframe just a little. Probably started adding some easily digested Proteins and veggies a little sooner than was recommended, but in very, very small amounts and only the healthy stuff.

I healed beautifully. Hang in. Very soon you'll have the good nutritious stuff you are craving. Good luck!

I took the attitude that I picked the best"program/surgeon" available to me....so might as well follow what they have used with many successful patients. I have been doing that for 3.5 years, and in fact their program has changed in that time so I tune in for updates too. It's been working for me.

THIS a thousand times! Pick a doctor you trust and then trust them.

Truth is no one knows the "right" diet for sure bc we can't experiment on humans like we do on rats and randomly assign them to treatment and control groups. So each doctor looks at the research and takes an educated guess on what will work for their patients. And some give different guidelines to different patients depending on BMI, history, gender, age etc.

Pick a doctor you trust and trust the doctor you picked.

And it can even vary with surgeons in the same practice. My surgeon's pre-op diet was three 300 calorie meals of lean Protein and salad and 2 shakes a day. I had to be in the hospital 2 nights after surgery - all his bypass and sleeve patients do. I had liquids and things like cream Soups and Greek yogurt starting day 3 through day 9 and then on day 10 moved to soft foods and moved to real food on day 14. I was allowed to have steak and salad week 3.

One of the other surgeons in the practice did my friend's surgery and her plan was not the same as mine.

And it can even vary with surgeons in the same practice. My surgeon's pre-op diet was three 300 calorie meals of lean Protein and salad and 2 shakes a day. I had to be in the hospital 2 nights after surgery - all his bypass and sleeve patients do. I had liquids and things like cream Soups and Greek yogurt starting day 3 through day 9 and then on day 10 moved to soft foods and moved to real food on day 14. I was allowed to have steak and salad week 3.

One of the other surgeons in the practice did my friend's surgery and her plan was not the same as mine.

You see!! LOL..craziness..surgeon in the same practice has different plan..just gives me the giggles. Thank you for this, it made me smile even bigger. Now I know I am not crazy from my overdose of liquidness!