Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How many days were you post op to start eating normal foods? Such as spaghetti without the noodles, baked chicken and vegetables, and etc?

Do you enjoy all your favorite meals post surgery from before surgery just in a smaller quantity? Does anyone ever eat pizza or fried chicken ever again just in a small quantity?

I'm actually happily finding that I do not have taste for the same foods I used to, I hate McDonalds now, the smell especially, I have my cheat days but I tried some Bush's chicken gizzards and liver and it took me two days to finish an 8 piece, I find that I prefer clean fresh foods now, fresh cut green Beans, mushrooms, carrots, chicken breast, shrimp, liver, I kinda like that I'm picky now, and my portions are very small, it's very surreal at times, a typical Breakfast used to be : 2 eggs, 6 slices of bacon, 5 pancakes, 6 cups of coffee w/ cream and sugar, and a large glass of soda or orange juice...... Now it's more like : 2 eggs, 1 slice of grain wheat bread toasted, and 1 bacon, 1/2 cup Decaf w/ powdered cream and sweet and low, and I leave about 1/3 on my plate, my head just had to catch up to my stomach, it says "stop ur full" and my head still says " you need to finish" " your being wasteful" and " you didn't like it?" So I'm doing great so far, ironically my favorite food is seafood and I can pretty much have anything except it's so expensive....lol good luck

I was allowed to add back in regular foods slowly starting at 6 weeks post-op. I have made a conscious decision not to eat the bad things that got me to my surgery day. I won't be eating rice, bread, Cookies etc.

For me now fruit is a treat, or a Protein bar, a Protein shake or something low calorie. The sleeve is only a tool and if I don't treat her with respect and just fill her with junk she will fail.

I now have grilled or bakes chicken, salmon or a bunless burger. I eat better veggies like zucchini or squash or green Beans, not potatoes or fries or rice.

I would think eating those old habits would just cause one to slide back into old habits. Find alternatives so you can enjoy the taste without having the bad parts. Good luck!

Most people are on liquids for 2 weeks, pureeds for 2 weeks, and then soft food for 2 more weeks. So 6 weeks or more for "regular" food. And you have to wait longer for certain foods.

No, I don't eat the same food I ate before surgery like pizza and fried chicken. If I do, it's a lower carb/lower calorie version. Why would I eat the same things that made me fat in the first place? The idea is to change your lifestyle along with the surgery. That's how the ones who are successful do it, anyway. You can only get away with eating the same things but in smaller portions for so long. :)

Yea I just see some people say they eat everything like before wasn't sure how true. But I have looked up alternative ways to fried chicken by doing it a oven baked way. I'm gonna start playing with recipes when it's time!!! My Dr skipped pureed foods. I have 14 days liquids, 2 weeks soft foods, then introduce new meals. I definitely plan on staying away from carbs such as bread, potatoes, and rice!!!

I was allowed "normal" food around 6 weeks post. But I had varying degrees of tolerance to certain foods for 6-8 months. Eventually, however, I've been able to eat anything I want. Including pizza, Chinese food, fried chicken, Desserts and everything else I enjoyed before surgery.

Edited by Kindle

I was also allowed normal foods six weeks out. Protein first, then veggie/fruit, and very few starches. I've eaten a few "bad" things, like a piece of fried chicken, French fries or ice cream when I was about three months out (not all at the same time!) but I ate very little of it, and I made sure that they wouldn't become slider foods. I pretty much eat right 95% of the time, but I am glad to know my sleeve can handle almost any food.< /p>

Awesome topic. I've been wondering about the things i've read too. Several people saying they eat ANYTHING they want, just smaller portions. Honestly, it would be nice maybe 8months to a year down the mine to be able to have a cup of chow mein or a slice of pizza here and there, but as of now, i think its most important to train myself to eat well. I havent had a cheeseburger in almost 3 months and i'm amazed at how I dont crave it anymore. Im actually craving hummus and greek yogurt. Lol i'm almost 20days post op and if I start thinking I might be able to slide in chips or dessert soon then it's going to create a slippery slope. I know myself lol anyway, best of luck to everyone!

I can tolerate anything, but can't eat hardly eat anything.

Six weeks for me too. Although there were still some restrictions, like no rice, Pasta, raw fibrous veggies. I have tried eating lots of different things. I was at a work function and the only meal was lasagna and salad so I ate a small amount of lasagna. I took maybe a little more than half a cup and I couldn't finish it. I've also tried pizza, ate maybe 1/3 slice. Yesterday I had a chicken wing. One. It was enough.

I've been craving salad.

I think most people I've read about on here say they waited 2 -3 months out, some can tolerate it sooner, some people on here frown upon salads since it doesn't provide enough Protein etc. but there are very successful vegetarians on here who gave no problems getting their protein and other nutrients in, I would say wait until you can tolerate all the raw veggies but just to make sure ask your nutritionist, they may not give you the answer you want though, good luck

Edited by laguerr13

I was sleeved the same day as you. I am on puréed food. At 3 weeks I am allowed to slowly phase in solids over a period of months. Crunch vegs and tough meats are the last thing to try.

Edited by Bndtoslv