Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

3 Top Reasons For Regain After Weight Loss Surgery

I enjoyed the bantering in this line of posts and wish that this site had more like this. I found it informative to say the least.

Great conversation and filled with all sorts of nuggets. Minus the biological and metabolic issues I would be inclined to include individuals that don't experience a "honeymoon phase."

First, what is that defined as? Is there a percentage of weight loss that one could/should achieve to indicate that they are indeed in a honeymoon phase? So with the sleeve I believe the number that is tossed around is that an individual may lose up to 60% of excess weight; how much of that is obtained during the "honeymoon phase?" Is there a correlation between the positive reinforcement of more immediate weight loss and reaching goal and maintaining.

Additionally, is it more of the average weight loss over the 18 month period that is more important to focus on. So many people go into this thinking they will lose over 8lbs a month and when that doesn't happen in the early stages it is truly a shift in expectation that needs to take place. Then add in when weight loss stalls after the 12 month mark after a slow road the frustration sets in and then old habits may return.

I wonder if anyone who had WLS eats like I do? I eat until full (which doesn't take much), but what I want. I don't worry about good fats like avocado and olive oil. I don't eat bread because there is no nutritional value and it takes up too much space. I am generally eating what feels the best which is fish and vegetable with occasional sweet potato. I feel like the return to looking at my food as nutrition rather than living to eat has really changed. I know that there will be hugs pitfalls if I don't follow a healthy diet and supplement plan. What I see and often do is such an emphasis and worry about fats and if a food is safe. I am wondering out loud if the focus would not get so off track after the "honeymoon" period if the focus was always to eat a healthy diet. I don't feel that I need worry about amount or calories and maybe? this is how smaller normal people eat?

MBM1Forever: "I am wondering out loud if the focus would not get so off track after the "honeymoon" period if the focus was always to eat a healthy diet." RIGHT ON!!

As a clinical therapist with over 20 years of counseling experience, and a newly sleeved person, I spent over a year researching procedures before actually getting the surgery. I am finding that what are often presented as scientific facts is more like a hypotheses of how surgery works. The surgeries used are still in their infancy and much is still unknown about their processes. When I read some of the other members posts on this forum, it becomes obvious that misconceptions about weight loss surgery abound and that we must do a better job of equipping surgery candidates for the long term change necessary for successful maintenance.

It takes a combination of so many things in order to achieve sustainable weight loss, no matter which method to lose weight is chosen. Personally, after having the surgery, I believe that most people are more likely to revert back to old cues in their environment, emotional triggers and biological "set points" without guidance and serious effort to change. Working on those things for myself right now. Hopefully more research will provide answers that can better predict one's genetic predisposition and make more tools available for anyone with obesity and its comorbidities.

Given all the variables, it is important not to lay blame upon the persons struggling with their weight loss, until more information is available. Making a blanket statement about what causes weight regain is making assumptions which do not apply to the whole population and may not be rooted in the scientific facts. Biology is a powerful thing which wants to maintain homeostasis. Hormonal influences just may be at the heart of the matter.

Best of luck to all of us in reaching and maintaining our goals.

As a clinical therapist with over 20 years of counseling experience, and a newly sleeved person, I spent over a year researching procedures before actually getting the surgery. I am finding that what are often presented as scientific facts is more like a hypotheses of how surgery works. The surgeries used are still in their infancy and much is still unknown about their processes. When I read some of the other members posts on this forum, it becomes obvious that misconceptions about weight loss surgery abound and that we must do a better job of equipping surgery candidates for the long term change necessary for successful maintenance.

It takes a combination of so many things in order to achieve sustainable weight loss, no matter which method to lose weight is chosen. Personally, after having the surgery, I believe that most people are more likely to revert back to old cues in their environment, emotional triggers and biological "set points" without guidance and serious effort to change. Working on those things for myself right now. Hopefully more research will provide answers that can better predict one's genetic predisposition and make more tools available for anyone with obesity and its comorbidities.

Given all the variables, it is important not to lay blame upon the persons struggling with their weight loss, until more information is available. Making a blanket statement about what causes weight regain is making assumptions which do not apply to the whole population and may not be rooted in the scientific facts. Biology is a powerful thing which wants to maintain homeostasis. Hormonal influences just may be at the heart of the matter.

Best of luck to all of us in reaching and maintaining our goals.

So well said....I had gastric bypass over 14 years ago when there was no such thing as aftercare and support of any kind was almost non existent. Since I had surgery I have been volunteering in the WLS community full time and I've been in the trenches every single day. I personally believe that food addiction is one of the prime reasons for regain but many bariatric professionals don't even believe it exists. I am passionate about bringing food addiction into the discussion and I'll share one of my blog posts. It was only because I admitted my addiction that I was able to work on it and I'll be working on it the rest of my life. There is no shame...it is a disease. Here's that post.

http://www.bariatricgirl.com/2013/12/now-this-clarifies-food-addiction/

I wonder if anyone who had WLS eats like I do? I eat until full (which doesn't take much), but what I want. I don't worry about good fats like avocado and olive oil. I don't eat bread because there is no nutritional value and it takes up too much space. I am generally eating what feels the best which is fish and vegetable with occasional sweet potato. I feel like the return to looking at my food as nutrition rather than living to eat has really changed. I know that there will be hugs pitfalls if I don't follow a healthy diet and supplement plan. What I see and often do is such an emphasis and worry about fats and if a food is safe. I am wondering out loud if the focus would not get so off track after the "honeymoon" period if the focus was always to eat a healthy diet. I don't feel that I need worry about amount or calories and maybe? this is how smaller normal people eat?

I have changed the way I eat as well. I eat very boring things because I can no longer have "sex in a plate". (I hope that made sense) I have also recognized that because I cannot "eat just one" that it is easier to not eat any. I believe the reason it is hard for some people to eat like you do is because their addiction to food is severe and they haven't worked on the root issue. This is a great article about people who are abstainers (like me) and people who can eat moderately (they can eat just one).

http://www.gretchenrubin.com/happiness_project/2013/01/want-to-be-free-from-french-fries-or-why-abstaining-may-be-easier-than-you-think/

Yvonne, I love your "sex on a plate" comment. There's a lot of truth in that for me.

Thanks Sara! I use it really often and I often wonder if people understand what I'm saying. I'm so pleased you were able to relate!

@@BariatricGirl

You are my hero.

That is all.

Whoa! @@BariatricGirl ... those are both great references.

Thank you.

I love the link to the Gretchen Rubin article too. When I wrote in my article above that one of the ways people regain is to try to keep "trigger" or "comfort " foods in their lives in moderation I was trying to express what Gretchen Rubin is also saying. Many find abstaining easier and more freeing long term and more conducive to weight loss and a healthier relationship with food than trying to keep these foods in our lives in moderation.

The "sex on a plate" reference struck me as so helpful because when I and others I have worked with try to keep "comfort" foods in our lives in moderation it is easy to slide into a sensual relationship with the experience of intaking that food that takes on almost a sexual quality. The ingesting of it can become a rhythmic form of self-pleasuring that could almost benefit from a Barry White album playing in the background!

@@BariatricGirl

You are my hero.

That is all.

Babbs you made my day!!!

I'm still pre-op, but one thing I fear is the lack of support from my bariatric office. They have done a good job of informing me, and I have done a lot of research on my own, so I feel I am prepared. One thing Stevehud above mentioned is asking questions of your bariatric office, rather than on a forum or by other unqualified sources. I am afraid that will have to be me. My bariatric office never answers their phone. NEVER. It always goes to voice mail, and then often you don't get a call back. I understand that eager pre-op patients can probably be exhausting, but I think ultimately they are hurting the patient by not being a proper support for patients.

Why am I going to this office? Because my PCP has faith in this surgeon, and he is the most experienced in my area. I guess I will have to just pray everything works out well.

My surgeon's office has NEVER failed to answer the phone. Likewise, no one there I've ever left a phone message for has EVER failed to return my call.

I think your surgeon's office has a real problem.