Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What is everyone's views on drinking? Both pre and post surgery. I don't drink alot it would only have to be about once every few months. I was just wondering what people's experience were with alcohol...

Interested in this also. I know that alcohol is just empty calories, carbonation is bad for the sleeve(I don't like beer anyway),and whatnot, just curious on others' experiences with drinking moderate amounts(I'm talking like one beverage for the night).

I had a couple sips of my hubby's drink at 6 weeks out. It really didn't affect me at all. I don't drink often but really just don't want the empty calories. I may splurge on a special occasion and have one drink but for the most part it isn't worth it.

I drink on occasion. I am 3 months out from surgery. I haven't had any problems with it, but if I over do it, recovery the next day is harder.

I myself rarely drink maybe 2 in 8 months. Not because it bothers me but because I like girly drinks and they are FULL of stinking sugar!

I was basically a functional alcoholic before my WLS. I drank every day for years. I used both food and alcohol as coping mechanisms. I drank with friends. I drank alone. Part of the problem was my tolerance. I could out drink a football team and barely felt drunk.

I stopped drinking alcohol cold turkey the day I started my preop diet. It was simply part of what was required to be mentally committed to WLS. Postop I had my first drink of wine at a birthday party about 4 months out. Once In maintenance I've had a few cocktails 2-3 times/month. I was looking forward to being a cheap drunk, but alas, alcohol does not affect me any differently. At this point the thousands of calories in alcohol I used to drink just aren't worth the mini buzz I get. Having a drink now is more or less the same as the occasional desert or carby meal that I indulge in.

So despite some horrible losses and the emotional trainwreck that is my life at this point, I am still choosing not to use food or alcohol for comfort. For me these choices are just part of the lifelong commitment that I made when I decided to have WLS.

Elvis Duran from the Elvis Duran Morning Radio Show got sleeved this past fall, I think he's 8ish months out and he talks about having cocktails on the weekends all the time. He seems like a guy who loves his cocktails and he's lost 96 pounds as of the last time I heard him mention it on the radio. I'm sure everyone is different.

I was wondering about the alcohol as well I had two sips of a wine cooler and no problems just got full so I guess moderation is the key and everybody differnt.

@kindle: ???????????????????????????????????????????????? sending positive thoughts your way that your train wreck will get better! I think you have won half the battle, knowing that food and alcohol will only make things worse! Love your attitude!

Thanks staying positive about things is the key. I know what I signed up for and I'm going to continue to strive to lose the weight I want for my health.

Thanks staying positive about things is the key. I know what I signed up for and I'm going to continue to strive to lose the weight I want for my health.