Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm 7 months post op and my hair is still falling out. I take Biotin and then bought a Shampoo with Biotin as the main ingredient, but doesn't seem to really help. I've had a blood panel done already and my Vitamin D is much better than what is was even before the surgery and I'm also on Vitamin B12 shots every month.

Everything else seems to be good, health wise. Any suggestions to regrow my hair or stop the falling out and becoming bald?

Biotin won't make your hair stop thinning, it may speed up the regrowth. You can only absorb so much at a time so overdoing it doesn't help.

Make sure you are getting in your Protein, lack of Protein contributes to the hair thinning.

My hair started thinning at 6-7 months and stopped at about a year. Then coming back. Funny thing is I ALWAYS had stick straight hair. It came back wavy, I now use a flat Iron it when I want the straight look I always had. At almost two years since surgery I continue to take my Vitamins, my iron is very, very low. So ! Per my regular doctor I take prenatal pill, Biotin and special high dose iron and the type that is absorbed better. My haired nails are great. Taking all the vitamins has the side effect of Constipation so I take daily pills for that.

I haven't found anything that works just have to wait it out....stinks.

I am looking into liquid vitamins. Not sure if they are better or not. BodSmith makes a "prenatal" for sale on Amazon that has 100% of both Biotin and Iron. Not sure if this will help or not. I also ordered Nioxin System #4 Shampoo, conditioner and scalp treatment. Per reviews on amazon the scalp treatment actually causes sprouts to grow after a few weeks. Again may not help in short run, but cannot hurt in the long run. Hope this helps.

Keep up with your Protein. I had some thinning at the temples despite taking Biotin starting around my 6th or 7th month. I'm 9½mths now and it appears that my edges are starting to grow back.

I'm currently using Nioxin Shampoo and Conditioner by Fantastic Sams...but it's so expensive!

I bought my nioxen on Amazon for a fraction of the cost

I was told to add Zinc. My hair has thinned some, but it had started thinning before the surgery (menopause, I was told was a culprit). My hair use to be thick. I went about two years ago to an endocrinologist looking for answers for first of all about my weight, low energy and the fact that my nails are thin, skin is dry and my hair has changed dramatically. After testing I never really got anywhere with the Vitamins I was told to take. Energy didn't take off, weight stayed pretty steady (I use to step backwards up onto the scale!) and my hair, skin & nails have not really improved.

I have not had surgery but have had the same type if Hair loss a number times via post birth via quick weight loss and by hyperthyroidism. With the weight loss one basically your body thinks it's staving so it stops giving unnecessary functions like hair and nails less energy so my hair lost starts about 8-12 weeks after weight loss starts and lasts as long as dramatic weightliss go s on for once I start eating normally again a few months later hair loss stops. Ice manged diets like optima st fir several months before so less than 800cal a day it triggers similar hair loss as wls. Also shock from surgery can cause a short term loss. Also hormonal contraception changes can cause it. It's horrible. You will most likely thin out a lot on the sides above ears but you won't go bold. Get an above the ear hair cut and keep it there for a year or two if you feel like it's not looking great. Thus allows you to style it with volume using thickning Shampoo etc. Dry shampoo spray us good too. Also you will get regrowth and you'll notice little sticky out its all over as the new growth cones in down the track then when that hair about catches up with the main length go for gold on growing it out :) I have fine hair to start with so dreading going this this for the third time in 18 months! But yeah you won't go bold. Also brushing and washing hair won't make it worse as the event which told hair to stop growing and fall out happened months before. N waiting to brush it wash longer makes the truma all he worse as it could be days worth. Anyway you are not alone. Just tie it back and one day in a few weeks or months you'll notice oh I'm am not looking as much hair anymore!

Damn sorry lots of spelling errors in bed on phone. Also I meant above shoulder not ears lol I like to tie my hair back when going through bad Hair loss

My hair was also thinning due to menopause and only got worse post-op. Yes it's a combo of the shock due to surgery, the sudden weight loss and menopause. All these supplements and shampoos only serve to slow down and perhaps make the hair remaining appear thicker. Like excess skin it really varies person to person. I currently take Biotin and will likely add magnesium to my supplements. I asked the dermatologist about this and that's the info she gave me.

Hi Let me start with, I am not an expert at this, but have done some searching for answers and asked a lot of questions....

hair loss at the 6th month mark is "a norm" for by-pass and sleevers.

Biotin is ok for regrowth, but will NOT stop the thinning and Hair loss.< /p>

My cousin is a dermatologist and said "load up on B-Complex," don't know if this is the "answer" but it makes my urine bright yellow....LOL.

I already take Biotin, Alive Engery Vitamin, Calcium/Vit D, B-12, so I added B-Complex.

Now I read somewhere zinc and niacin are important to hair regrowth, I will have to do some googling on this...LOL...

Now from all the searching and questions and answers I got, it seems:

a) around six months - Hair Loss

B) It will come back. (approx. one year)

c) seems our bodies are adjusting to our weight loss.