Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Stressed About Giving Away Clothes that I've "Ingrown"

Hi Everyone,

I was sleeved in December, and am down 90 lb. (from 301 to 211). I am a teacher and off for the summer, and decided to clean out my closet. Well, I've packed away bags and bags of clothes, but I'm having a really hard time actually letting go of them. Every time I've lost weight in the past, I've ended up needing to buy the bigger clothes again. All I'm seeing is thousands of dollars in those bags... I am committed to sticking with this way of life long term, but something in me is making this really, really difficult. Anyone else feel like this? :(

Boy can I relate to this! I have given away a lot of my largest clothes, but I just can't seem to let go of the intermediate-sized clothes. I just don't trust myself enough. The other issue is improper attachment. I absolutely love some of the clothes that no longer fit.

The only thing I had to come to terms with was the money lost. Once I faced up to the fact that I just need to let go, I stopped getting upset over that. I have 3 pieces I may dry clean and try at a consignment shop but otherwise I'm just letting them go. I sold a pair of jeans that had never been worn with the tags still on them. Tag said $99. I sold them for $20 shipped.

I'm not even trying to replace clothing at this point since I have clothes going all the way down to a size 16. It's a mental thing. Once I faced that I was fine.

I had a bunch of nice label clothes that I'd collected over the years that I was sad to give away, but I gave them to someone who needed them and she gave the leftovers to charity. Now I am making do with a few Old Navy purchases. It's funny, I used to have two closets full of clothes, not I have enough to last me a week. Made me rethink how much I really need. :D

Do it! It will be a liberating moment in your continued success, and new lifestyle.

I feel your pain. It was so hard and I was not prepared for it. Thousands and thousands of $$ out. But once I did it I felt better. Gave them to charity and thought someone else can enjoy the find. I'm not putting money into clothes like that ever again but I had faith I would not ever need them again. Best of luck with your cleaning project. Post again how it is going.

I was sleeved May 21st and just spent the weekend packing up about 12 bags of clothes and took them to a local charity. 30 blazers/jackets went to Dress for Success who always need plus sized professional wear for women going into the workforce. A charity run thrift shop benefits local Red Cross, Salvation army and others. Someone else can use what I cannot wear anymore. No regrets. Oh, After I exhaust the other smaller sizes in my closet (the 22s, 20s - yes some of us have wardrobes in many sizes) I plan to shop thrift and consignment shops as well as Old Navy and Ross!

Purge away! It is so cathartic. Plus, then you have an excuse to not revert back to old ways. You'll want to keep wearing your beautiful new clothes on your newly fit and trim body!