Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm one week post-op and have been finding myself crying at the drop of a hat, very anxious, and doubting my entire decision to have surgery. I live alone and not leaving the house since I've been home hasn't helped. Please tell me that these are normal emotions and they will go away soon. I'm going to have my mom come stay with me for awhile so I'm not feeling so alone. I so badly want to feel normal again!

Take deep breathes it will be here and over in a blink of an eye. I think u are just a little emotional but it affects people differently. Think of all the pros and positive things that will come from your surgery. It does get bettet!!!

I'm two weeks post op and just starting to become less emotional. I was an emotional mess the first week! Hopefully your mom coming to stay with you will help!

Sarabeth, iT is normal. I am 11days post op and have been all over the place, but this week feeling beTater.

You have been through major surgery so, of course, you are going to be drained physically and emotionally. Be gentle with yourself, give yourself time, this phase of your recovery will pass very quickly and you will soon see (and feel) the benefits of the decision you made (to have surgery). Hope your Mom comes to stay soon and treats you to some TLC.

I had the same. I actually told the dr and called my GYN. They said the stress of the surgery can send hormones out of balance. If it's very bad they can prescribe medication. Keep your doctor's in the loop. You're not alone and not the only one experiencing it. Hugs

Ditto. Completely normal. Hang in there. It gets better.

I am so glad you wrote this post. I am a little short of two weeks post op and I have been crying at really stupid stuff. Very emotional. Good to know from the other replies that I, (we) are perfectly normal. Best of luck on feeling better.

Take it easy and don't be so hard on yourself. If the sadness and tears linger, speak with your physician. You just had major surgery, you may need a short term prescription for anti-anxiety meds or anti-depressants to help you get over the shock of it all. Do what you have to do to take care of you.

Edited by muzical1

As everyone else said; it is hormone fluctuations, fatigue, dehydration, the inability to use food to self soothe, loneliness, pain, and/or the fact that you just took a major, irreversible life decision.

You will be ok. Cry if you need to. Vent on this site if you need to. Just do what you need to do to take care of yourself and recover. Sip, sip, sip your Protein and Water and walk as much as you can.

I had a night where I was really bad, questioning why I had the surgery, crying that I'd never been able to eat a Twix bar again (and I don't even really like them!). My husband made me feel better with 2 questions: 1-Can I do anything about the surgery now? (Not really likely) 2-Would I rather be 300, 400, 500 lbs and eating a candy bar or close to my goal weight and enjoying that?

He might have worded question #2 a little harsher but the point is made...this part is rough. I get to go from Clear liquids to full liquids on Tuesday and I can't wait. I miss eating real food at times, and I miss the taste of food at times, but eventually we will be able to do more than liquids and Protein shakes! And your pain/discomfort should be turning around soon so you will be able to do more, get out of the house easier, etc. Around day 8 post op I started feeling so much better, now I'm on day 10 with minimal pain and I can almost always pick up anything I drop on the floor, I can get out of bed without feeling like I'm breaking in half and sneezing isn't a lesson in torture anymore.

It's so hard to do but just go one day at a time for now. One cup of Water, one Protein shake at a time. It's so hard and such a new way of thinking but ultimately it should be worth it.

Normal according to me. A few days after surgery I remember sobbing for no reason. On my birthday. I felt very sad and down the first week but it has only gotten better as the days go by (almost 2 weeks out now.)

Thank you for all the encouragement. When my anxiety kicks in, I tend to think of all the bad things that can happen. Logically, I know things will get better and I'll have my energy back soon, but it's hard to convince my brain of that. I have my post-op visit Wednesday where I'll have my drain removed (thank goodness) and get to move to puréed foods. I'm looking forward to that and hoping it helps lift my mood a bit.

sarabeth82, I can totally, totally relate! Everyone else said it all,, but one thing I can tell you is that when they remove that darn drainage bag, you will skyrocket in the 'feeling normal' area! Man that thing was annoying and in the way. When mine was taken out , I sat up and felt happy just because of that. So look forward to that experience at least. Baby steps....

I was like that also!!! It went away once I started purée foods! I think it's a symptom of just being hungry!!! It gets better I was so restless evil grumpy and cried all the time! I promise it goes away!!!